Rodgers calf update

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Rodgers' calf injury maybe a little bit worse than we thought?

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/08/green-bay-packers-aaron-rodgers-calf-tear-playing

No. A strain is a partial tear. This is just the media being stupid because this is nothing new.

This line is great, "Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rodgers is not only dealing with a strained left calf, but a torn one as well, according to Adam Schefter." That's like saying, "Rodgers collarbone was not only fractured, it was broken as well."

Schefter clearly has no injury knowledge at all.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. A strain is a partial tear. This is just the media being stupid because this is nothing new.

This line is great, "Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rodgers is not only dealing with a strained left calf, but a torn one as well, according to Adam Schefter." That's like saying, "Rodgers collarbone was not only fractured, it was broken as well."

Ah, okay, makes sense now.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yep. Not only is Shefter just repackaging the same information, he's also being redundant.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Yep. Not only is Shefter just repackaging the same information, he's also being redundant.

Agreed. Nothing more than a re-release of previously known information directly from Shefter's Department of Redundancy Department. :)

Truthfully? ...and just my opinion ... given how Thompson and McCarthy seem to have graduated from the Belichek School of Media Manipulation (a good thing, I might add) ... my gut tells me that they've been playing a little tight-lipped under the guise of 'gamesmanship'.

While I don't doubt Aaron is or perhaps, was might be a better term, injured, I've just got a feeling that he's going to come out fully mobile and will "light 'em up". Unfortunately, I have the same feeling about Romo's offense versus whatever Frankenstein defense the Pack throw at the Cowbags.... we shall see.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find anything yet but has anyone heard anything maybe on the radio or somewhere as to whether Rodgers feels like today went well or had any kind of setback to his calf? Hopefully, he's still where he can heal some more before next Sunday.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He said he has 120 mins left in his calf

He also didn't worry about the leg in the 2nd half- which is why he played better

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
I'm not sure how it could be better than a week ago at this point, despite what McCarthy says. But I do have some theories.

Perhaps it feels less stiff today than a week ago? Maybe on some level playing loosened it up a bit. I don't know, who knows—no one but rodgers i guess...whatever the case I can only assume that as long as he didn't RE-tweak anything in the Dallas game it'll only get better with time which he'll get if we keep on winning.

I also told those watching the game with myself yesterday that, I don't think Rodgers hopping/limping around was as much cause the calf was hurting (and I'm sure it does hurt, not saying he wasn't limping due to pain) as much as it was Rodgers protecting the calf trying to avoid further injury. The performance of A-rod in the first half compared to the second half would support this theory seeing as how the season was on the line in the second half and Rodgers had to let loose and test the calf at some point.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not really true

http://www.packers.com/media-center...n-to-win/c4a3ccb5-38ec-4f76-9ff0-1155c5a0a8b6

question

is he in better shape than he was after the Det game????

MM- I think so-I think it be better if Aaron answers those questions

That was McCarthy´s response to the third question about Rodgers´ health. He answered the first one by saying Aaron made it through the game very well and that he thinks that #12 feels better this time this week compared to last week.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He back tracked from 1st reply in pc

Posted the video so people can judge for themselves

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, we're going to find out on Sunday one way or the other. I hope he can move better. Seattle rushes the QB plays the run better and covers better on the back half than Dallas.

Reaction score
I don't know how bad Aaron's calf is affecting his play, to be honest. He looked pretty bad throwing to start with on Sunday but that could easily have been rust, right? I mean I'm no expert but I don't think the left calf is going to do too much to a right handed quarterback's ability to throw.

What it does mean is that he can't escape the pocket or run downfield but he seemed to be avoiding pressure by sliding in and around the pocket just fine to me.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't know how bad Aaron's calf is affecting his play, to be honest. He looked pretty bad throwing to start with on Sunday but that could easily have been rust, right? I mean I'm no expert but I don't think the left calf is going to do too much to a right handed quarterback's ability to throw.

What it does mean is that he can't escape the pocket or run downfield but he seemed to be avoiding pressure by sliding in and around the pocket just fine to me.
I don’t think it was rust, I think Rodgers was better in the second half because he adjusted to playing with his injured calf better and because he “let loose” more than he had in the first half. What I’ve noticed regarding how it’s affected him when he has time in the pocket is he’s keeping his feet closer together – he can’t “long stride” without fear of re-injuring it. And escaping the pocket has been a huge part of Rodgers’ play. Although he has very occasionally held the ball too long IMO, his extending plays has led to first downs, long gains, and TDs. Also, with Lacy and the running game along with the weapons in the passing game keeping Ds busy, his ability to scramble for first downs has been important in keeping drives alive.

Don’t get me wrong, of course teams can win it all with “pocket passers” and Rodgers’ arm is so strong if he’s as accurate as he was in the second half he will be able to complete a lot of passes if he has time. But it’s a lot easier for opponents to rush the passer if they know the area where he’ll be – and know that area is a lot smaller than it would be otherwise. It makes the job of the OL more difficult. And I don’t know how Rodgers “never” being under center affects the play-calling, particularly the running game.

sean corey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm no rocket surgeon but when Rodgers started talking about his acupuncturist I got the *******..!!

That stuff just creeps me out.

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny part is Rodgers definitely appeared much more comfortable in the second half than the first half, which tells me it's simply a matter of time before he gets rolling regardless of his injury. Problem is, against a team like Seattle that window closes much more quickly and hopefully it doesn't take him longer than one drive to know where he's at that day.

It should also be worth noting that Rodgers, despite having amazing pocket protection in the Dallas game, had a handful of moments where he simply was holding onto the ball for WAY too long. This is acceptable if you can roll out of the pocket to buy time, not acceptable when the pocket can collapse at any given moment and hopefully reviewing the game tape against Dallas will remind him of that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts