14) Jay Cutler-87.8
15) Philip Rivers-87.6
16) Michael Vick-84.4
17) Andy Dalton-84.3
18) Jason Campbell-84.2
19) Donovan McNabb-82.9
20) Mark Sanchez-82.3

Notes:
-Aaron Rodgers is on fire. If you touch him I think you might burn your finger.
-Rodgers’ passer rating last year after seven games was 89.0
-Eli Manning is playing....pretty good. He is a bit underrated right now.
-Curtis Painter.....#9? Say what. You know as time goes by I am starting to actually believe QB is not the main issue in Indy. Sure, Painter is not even close to one of my choices for top 10 QB but he has not embarrassed himself as badly as people expected. There are deeper issues on this team. It may just get worse too.
-The job Jim Harbaugh has done with Alex Smith is nothing short of amazing.
-The single season passer rating record is Peyton Manning in 2004 with 121.1. Second is Tom Brady in 2007 with 117.2. Aaron has a real shot potentially to break this record as of now if he keeps this up.

North44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mmmm... interesting. The thing that stood out to me immediately was #3 on the list. The Giants are flying under the radar right now.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
mmmm... interesting. The thing that stood out to me immediately was #3 on the list. The Giants are flying under the radar right now.

Yes they are a little underrated I think, I will start to pay closer attention to them if they keep winning many of their games.
All those injuries before the season started kinda made people count them out and they were overshadowed by the "dream team." Of course, they can be tough to figure out. How in the world did they lose to the Seahawks. Really? Well, I guess those kinds of games happen at times. Trap games and all.

Curtis Painter is probably higher then I expected but he really has not turned it over that much. He may not make things happen when you want it to happen, but he has not embarrassed himself that badly either.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Lately I have become disenchanted with the QB rating system. Let me give you and example. Two QB's throw 24 passes. QB1 completes 24. QB2 completes 8. Following are the stats.

Code:
QB1

24/24 72 yards 0 tds 0 ints. 3 yards per attempt. Rating 79.17
Each pass is for 3 yards.
Eight straight 3 and outs.
He's not moving his team.

QB2

8/24 80 yards 0tds 0 ints. 3.3 yards per attempt.  Rating 43.75.
His first two passes are always incomplete.
Every 3rd pass he throws 10 yards for a first down.
He's moving his team down the field.

So why does QB1 have the better rating? Because the system is based on completions, and averages, not on moving the chains. You can tout it all you want, but I personally will no longer use it to back up how well a QB is helping his team.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I am not a huge huge stats person or QB rating person all the time either.

I just find sometimes these things are interesting and can start good discussions. I don't firmly think Painter is a top 10 QB right now. If he is then God help many QBs in this league currently.

The top 2 though look dead on with Rodgers then Brady. The top 5 so far on the list look pretty fair so far based on what I have seen.

Still find it more interesting then some of the ESPN stuff. I am not even sure I understand their new QB ratings.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Actually it was ESPN's new QBR that got me to look at the QB rating system the NFL uses. It is good for what it does. It shows how well a QB's passes are caught and how many yards he throws on an average with tds and int thrown in for good measure. What it doesn't show is how the QB's play helped or didn't help the team.

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
1) Aaron Rodgers-125.7
2) Tom Brady-104.8
3) Eli Manning-101.1
4) Matt Stafford-98.2
5) Drew Brees-97.0
6) Matt Hasselbeck-95.9
7) Ryan Fitzpatrick-95.3
8) Alex Smith-95.2
9) Curtis Painter-93.0
10) Tony Romo-91.7
11) Matt Schaub-90.7
12) Ben Roethlisberger-90.0
13) Matt Cassel-89.7
14) Jay Cutler-87.8
15) Philip Rivers-87.6
16) Michael Vick-84.4
17) Andy Dalton-84.3
18) Jason Campbell-84.2
19) Donovan McNabb-82.9
20) Mark Sanchez-82.3

Notes:
-Aaron Rodgers is on fire. If you touch him I think you might burn your finger.
-Rodgers’ passer rating last year after seven games was 89.0
-Eli Manning is playing....pretty good. He is a bit underrated right now.
-Curtis Painter.....#9? Say what. You know as time goes by I am starting to actually believe QB is not the main issue in Indy. Sure, Painter is not even close to one my choices for top 10 QB but he has not embarrassed himself as badly as people expected. There are deeper issues on this team. It may just get worse too.
-The job Jim Harbaugh has done with Alex Smith is nothing short of amazing.
-The single season passer rating record is Peyton Manning in 2004 with 121.1. Second is Tom Brady in 2007 with 117.2. Aaron has a real shot potentially to break this record as of now if he keeps this up.

I honestly cannot believe how bad Mark Sanchez is doing, I like Mark Sanchez and to see him doing this bad is kind of upsetting. But Aaron Rodgers is having a monster season, I can see him setting a few records at the end of this season. GO PACK GO!!

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I honestly cannot believe how bad Mark Sanchez is doing, I like Mark Sanchez and to see him doing this bad is kind of upsetting. But Aaron Rodgers is having a monster season, I can see him setting a few records at the end of this season. GO PACK GO!!

Let's see how Sanchez does in coming weeks. The Jets have some big games after their bye. The Jets seem to be slowish starters to me.

The funny thing about Sanchez....the dude has actually been OKAY IMO in the playoffs. I don't know the numbers but he has not been too shabby based on my eye test. I mean considering it's Mark Sanchez and all and they have all been road games.

Roethlisberger is one who is getting better the last few weeks, he had a poor start to the season.

I have been a Joe Flacco apologist at times but I am starting to lose my will to stick up for him ATM.*sigh*

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you my twin? My split personality?
Before I read your posts I too:
1) Was surprised to see Eli Manning ranked so high.
2) Also surprised to see that Painter is on the list. And in the top 10!?
3) Realized that Mark Sanchez may not be as bad as most think he is because I also realize that getting to the playoffs can be an impressive feat.

Other: I'm glad to see that Michael ***** is ranked as low as he is and that he is no longer the household name he was a few weeks ago.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Are you my twin? My split personality?
Before I read your posts I too:
1) Was surprised to see Eli Manning ranked so high.
2) Also surprised to see that Painter is on the list. And in the top 10!?
3) Realized that Mark Sanchez may not be as bad as most think he is because I also realize that getting to the playoffs can be an impressive feat.

Other: I'm glad to see that Michael ***** is ranked as low as he is and that he is no longer the household name he was a few weeks ago.

Painter may get worse if teams realize that when they send 5 or more rushers he has a less than 40% completion pct.

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
Let's see how Sanchez does in coming weeks. The Jets have some big games after their bye. The Jets seem to be slowish starters to me.

The funny thing about Sanchez....the dude has actually been OKAY IMO in the playoffs. I don't know the numbers but he has not been too shabby based on my eye test. I mean considering it's Mark Sanchez and all and they have all been road games.

Roethlisberger is one who is getting better the last few weeks, he had a poor start to the season.

I have been a Joe Flacco apologist at times but I am starting to lose my will to stick up for him ATM.*sigh*

I'm hoping to see Sanchez do better in coming weeks because I personally like him as a quarterback.
I can't stand Ben Roethlisberger though, he is a good quarterback but I have just never liked his style of play. It may be that I have a burning hatred for the Steelers though just maybe.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I only like stats when they back up my perceptions from the games.
I've been watching football as long as NFL films has been around. Like many of us, we didn't see early football on TV. But as long as the NFL has been on TV I've been watching it and I've seen very few QBs perform like AR.
The stats are for fans who like that stuff and I'll agree it's interesting to look at. But I'd take my guy over any over QB in the NFL.

peteralan71

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good point... but I disagree. Look at their schedule.

Redskins, Rams, Eagles, Cardinals, Seahawks, and Bills.

Not a real difficult schedule thus far. The wins were relatively close ones, and they lost to the Skins and Seahawks. Not too impressive.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
I honestly cannot believe how bad Mark Sanchez is doing, I like Mark Sanchez and to see him doing this bad is kind of upsetting.

On the other hand, his sucking is causing coach Rexie to look very foolish for guaranteeing a Superbowl win this year. That part I like.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers skews the standard deviation. Check the differential b/t #1 and #2!

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eli Manning based on production is actually a top 5 QB. Lol his prediction has some merit to it. Strange things this season that and the Bills/Bengals are 5-2.