Rodgers 3rd Down Conversions

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Does anyone know where we are ranked on turning 3rd into 1st down?

You would believe we'd be in first place at how well Rodgers manages it.

Going back to the Super Bowl, that huge 3rd down play to Jennings late in the 4th quarter, all the way to those 3rd down conversions in the Atlanta game last week. He is always right on the money right on time.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Attachments

• 3rd down.JPG
    3rd down.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 84

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone know where we are ranked on turning 3rd into 1st down?

You would believe we'd be in first place at how well Rodgers manages it.

Going back to the Super Bowl, that huge 3rd down play to Jennings late in the 4th quarter, all the way to those 3rd down conversions in the Atlanta game last week. He is always right on the money right on time.
There is this with Packers compared to opponents.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?team=GB

Doesn't give a ranking, but does it help?

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help. I think we have the best 3rd down converting quarterback in the league!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.wwltv.com/sports/black-and-gold/Saints-owning-third-downs-leading-the-NFL-131635583.html

That says Saints are best

Brees leads the NFL in third-down passing, sticking a 149.9 quarterback rating to his opponents. Seven of his 12 touchdown passes have come on third down and none of his five interceptions have been on the down.

More impressive – he’s completing 77.8 percent of his passes on third down.

Rodgers from my yahoo link is 135.2 rating, 4 tds (Brees is at 7) and 76% completion, (Brees is at 77.8%)

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I for one can not believe how many really good QBs there are in the league right now. It's insane. And don't give me any noise about QB bias and slanted rules. Slanted rules can't complete passes, improve accuracy, efficiency, raise TD totals and lower INT totals. There are just so many good quarterbacks playing right now.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I for one can not believe how many really good QBs there are in the league right now. It's insane. And don't give me any noise about QB bias and slanted rules. Slanted rules can't complete passes, improve accuracy, efficiency, raise TD totals and lower INT totals. There are just so many good quarterbacks playing right now.

I agree that there seem to be many good quarterbacks, but I have to completely disagree with the rest of your post. The rule changes have been specifically designed to provide greater safety/protection for QB's and receivers. Completed passes, accuracy, efficiency, and increased TD totals are both the direct and indirect result of the QB having more time and defenders playing receivers at least a little more loosely. To say the rule changes have nothing to do with this is just plain wrong. What is at least one of the arguments everyone makes as to Brady's success -- with that much time in the pocket anyone could be that good -- and it is his Oline that gives him that time, but whether it is Oline or rules changes doesn't matter: give the QB more time and the receivers more cushion and your passing game is going to have greater success.
That is not to take away from the fact that I do think there are more good QB's in the league right now than in recent past.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps I overstated my point. What I meant was more along the lines of "these good QBs now would've been good if they played in 2000, 1980, or 1960." The rules make it easier for them to succeed, and you can see that in the stats, to some extent. I'm not talking about stats, I'm talking about what I see with my own two eyes. And my two eyes see a lot of really good QBs in the league right now.

Eric87

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Slanted rules facilitate all of that stuff. It does seem like there are a ton of good QBs out there right now, but how about in the early-mid 90s, when Montana, Young, Favre, Aikman, Moon, Elway, Marino and Kelly were all playing. That's 8 Hall of Famers, plus Bledsoe, Cunningham, Hostetler and Esiason, who were all playing in 1994, for example. I think all of those guys would be great if you put them in the current era.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts