Rodgers 30 attempts shy of being ranked #2

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers only 30 throws shy of passer rating record books | greenbaypressgazette.com | Green Bay Press-Gazette

Aaron Rodgers might land a spot among the elite in the NFL record books Sunday at Atlanta.

In his third season as a starter, Rodgers is only 30 pass attempts shy of the 1,500 minimum to qualify for the NFL’s list of career leaders for passer rating. When he qualifies, whether that’s this week or next, chances are he’ll rank No. 2 on the all-time list, behind only San Diego’s Philip Rivers and immediately ahead of Steve Young, Tony Romo and Peyton Manning.

“It’s pretty cool to be mentioned with those guys there, because they’re real talented quarterbacks,” Rodgers said when shown the list of the top five. “Hall of Famer (i.e., Young), future Hall of Famer (Manning), potential future Hall of Famers (Rivers, Romo and Rodgers). What’s not on that list is, no Super Bowls (Rivers), no Super Bowls (Rodgers), one Super Bowl (Young), no Super Bowls (Romo), one Super Bowl (Manning). Guys get remembered more for winning Super Bowls than for passer ratings.”

Passer rating, which is a formula based on four statistics (yards per attempt, completion percentage, touchdown percentage and interception percentage), has become one of the two most-used standards for measuring NFL quarterbacks, along with wins and losses. But it’s hardly the be all and end all.

In the mid-1970s, the NFL began changing rules to favor the passing game, and it hasn’t stopped. This has made for an increasingly pass-oriented league, and passer ratings that continually rise with those changes. When defensive backs could drill receivers all over the field and offensive linemen couldn’t use their hands, it was a lot harder to complete passes and avoid interceptions.

Thus, there are Pro Football Hall of Famers who rank surprisingly far down the list, and middling quarterbacks of more recent vintage who rank high.

For instance, Houston’s Matt Schaub (91.4 points) is No. 11 in all-time passer rating, Miami’s Chad Pennington (90.1 points) is No. 12 and Daunte Culpepper (87.8 points) is No. 13. It’s hard to think any of them would crack the list of even the all-time top 100 quarterbacks.

On the other side, Dan Marino (86.4 points) ranks only No. 19, Troy Aikman (81.6 points) is tied at No. 42, Dan Fouts (80.2 points) is No. 57, John Elway (79.9 points) is No. 59 and Johnny Unitas (78.2 points) is tied for No. 69. They’re all in the Hall of Fame, and at least three (Elway, Unitas and Marino) probably rank among the top 10 quarterbacks ever. Yet all but Marino rank behind Jacksonville’s mediocre David Garrard (No. 20 at 86.2 points) in passer rating.

“It’s a decent barometer,” Rodgers said. “Take the components of it: it’s efficiency, yards per attempt; it’s efficiency in touchdowns per attempts; it’s taking care of the football, interception percentage; completion percentage. I think it’s a good barometer of the type of quarterback you are. It doesn’t measure a big run you might have had or a throwaway. But it’s a decent enough barometer.”

Rodgers was one of five quarterbacks who finished last season with a passer rating of at least 100 points — he was No. 4 at 103.2 points — but will have to play near his level of the last couple of weeks over the final six games to hit the 100-point mark this year.

In the Packers’ first seven games, he threw nine interceptions, which is two more than his total for 2009. In the last three games, he’s thrown seven touchdown passes and no interceptions. In the last two, wins over the New York Jets and Minnesota, his passer ratings were 131.5 points and 141.3 points, which is getting toward the maximum rating of 158.3 and suggests he could be on his way to a strong run in the second half. That’s pushed his season rating to 95.7, No. 8 in the league.

“I think he’s just being more exact with his decision-making,” coach Mike McCarthy said of Rodgers’ recent play. “His ball accuracy has been pretty consistent all year. I think sometimes you can play a little too fast. Sometimes you can be a little too smart. We had some of the turnovers there in the beginning of the year, particularly on third down. That’s not what you want.

“But I think he’s really in a groove right now. He’s playing with a lot of rhythm. He’s making plays with his feet. He’s playing the way that he expects to play and the way we expect him to play.”

Rodgers looks like a quarterback who consistently will have a passer rating at least in the 90s because he combines accurate throwing (63.9 percent in his career) with relatively low-risk decision making, which will keep his interception totals down. So, even if he stays healthy enough to have a long career, it’s realistic to think he can finish with one of the highest ratings in league history.

But other more intangible qualities also will determine how much he accomplishes. Rodgers said he’s learned that skills such as leadership are as much learned as innate, which offensive coordinator Joe Philbin drove home when he pulled him aside early in his career as a starter and told him his body language sometimes revealed frustration and made it look like he was blaming mistakes on teammates.

“Being a quarterback, you’re being watched not only by the TV audience and the fans,” he said, “but by your teammates, whose opinions really, really matter, and who are looking to you for leadership and for energy and for enthusiasm and how your demeanor is. That’s something you have to think about on a daily basis.”

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
wow, no one wants to comment?

He will be ranked #2 in the HISTORY for rating after 30 more attempts that will give him the min requirement of 1500

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Well no offense they have alot of numbers in that article and its a lot to take in. And yeah till Rodgers gets his own Super Bowl ring, he may just be the greatest stat guy for the Packers. Sadly that is the truth till he and his team can bring the Lombardi trophy to its rightful home. And if he can bring two all the more reason to say Rodgers > Favre.

I am thinking I am being a bit harsh, but I love Rodgers and really I want him to be rated as the BEST Packer QB of the 2000's, and their is only two for that era, and the other lead two teams to the NFC championship twice and lost it for them.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
wow, no one wants to comment?

He will be ranked #2 in the HISTORY for rating after 30 more attempts that will give him the min requirement of 1500

Haha LT I don't know what you want from us. We love the guy, we know he's great. The big guy is on his way to getting the most important stat of all...a trophy. There will be plenty of these landmarks to look at by then.

ilovemypackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well no offense they have alot of numbers in that article and its a lot to take in.

It's almost 2am here, too many words..but YES!! I love me some Aaron Rodgers, he's breaking records left and right now...and it's only going to get better!

Go Pack Go!

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't know Rivers has the record, which points out the importance of Championships.

Until Rogers wins his 6th Championship, he'll still always be 2nd to Starr in Packer history imo. But he is fun to watch in the meantime.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I knew about those, so they don't surprise me.

Quite frankly, Rodgers is the most talented Packers QB I've seen, tied with Favre. No, he's not as good QB as Favre was, because Favre achieved some of his potential (Favre could've been the greatest QB to ever play the game, but that's another discussion)

Rodgers still needs to achieve his full potential. The combination he has of mobility, improvisation, arm strenght, accuracy and decision making is unique. He has the makings of a Hall of Famer.

But until he realizes his potential, until he starts playing like he did last game, and not how he performed against Washington, Miami, New York and Tampa, then he'll get the praise.

Yes, I know, it's impossible for a QB to play every game great. But we know what Rodgers is capable of, and more importantly, he knows it.

So like he said, it's great that he'll be #2 all time in QB rating, but that should be just stats to him, and I'm pretty sure it is or will be in time.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is an honor!!! We are lucky to have him for our QB! Those SB rings will come in time. It still is an amazing thing to consider he has achieved those stats and he is still considered so young! As ilovemypackers said, he's only going to get better, that is perhaps the most amazing thing of all. It gives all of us a hell of a lot to look forward to for the future of this team. In Aaron we trust, Amen!!!

L

Lunchboxer

He will get us SB Rings and Trophys.

It took brett few seasons to reach the SB and win.

Latest posts