Rod vs Brett

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That has always been something I didn't like about AR that he has always been slow to trust new WRs as compared to Brett who just said let's go do this...

It'll be interesting to see.... Aaron HAS to PROVE that he is still an Elite QB now that MM is gone, otherwise, I still believe Favre is better

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron HAS to PROVE that he is still an Elite QB now that MM is gone, otherwise, I still believe Favre is better
In some ways I think Favre was unappreciated. He did get to two Super Bowls compared to Aaron's one, and he has an extra MVP.
I imagine the vast majority would say Rodgers is better, and I'm not going to dispute them. But Rodgers has only led the league in TDs once, compared to Favre's four.
The second half of Favre's career hurt his reputation. I always said he needed a tough coach to keep him in line.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That has always been something I didn't like about AR that he has always been slow to trust new WRs as compared to Brett who just said let's go do this...

It'll be interesting to see.... Aaron HAS to PROVE that he is still an Elite QB now that MM is gone, otherwise, I still believe Favre is better

Favre took over in 92. List of Packer receivers drafted in first 4 rounds from 1992-2000.
1992 Robert Brook early 3rd round
1995 Antonio Freeman late 3rd round
1996 Derrick Mayes late 2nd round
2000 Anthony Lucas mid 4th round (I have never head of this guy until right now)

The thing Favre needs to be appreciated for is he went out there with them receivers not drafted high like Bill Schroeder, Corey Bradford, and Donald Driver for a good amount of time. Not to mention Freeman's career was much like Cobb's as he performed much better on his rookie deal than his big contract. 99-01 he did not have the cream of the crop to work with.

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre took over in 92. List of Packer receivers drafted in first 4 rounds from 1992-2000.
1992 Robert Brook early 3rd round
1995 Antonio Freeman late 3rd round
1996 Derrick Mayes late 2nd round
2000 Anthony Lucas mid 4th round (I have never head of this guy until right now)

The thing Favre needs to be appreciated for is he went out there with them receivers not drafted high like Bill Schroeder, Corey Bradford, and Donald Driver for a good amount of time. Not to mention Freeman's career was much like Cobb's as he performed much better on his rookie deal than his big contract. 99-01 he did not have the cream of the crop to work with.

I know.

A lot of fans or newer fans forget this..

Sure, Sterling was a HOF talent but other then that...

I mean Javon Walker and Greg Jennings..

But Favre was AWESOME when he had those 2 so....

I feel Aaron still has a lot to prove

Reaction score
In some ways I think Favre was unappreciated. He did get to two Super Bowls compared to Aaron's one, and he has an extra MVP.
I imagine the vast majority would say Rodgers is better, and I'm not going to dispute them. But Rodgers has only led the league in TDs once, compared to Favre's four.
The second half of Favre's career hurt his reputation. I always said he needed a tough coach to keep him in line.
While I appreciated Favre. He also started for 19 seasons, so it’s not quite fair comparing a guy who hasn’t even finished his 11th season as a starter to that. If we track Aaron and
Extrapolate his #s? He could easily pass Favre with 8+ more seasons

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ron Wolf always said his one regret was not getting Favre more weapons.

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I appreciated Favre. He also started for 19 seasons, so it’s not quite fair comparing a guy who hasn’t even finished his 11th season as a starter to that. If we track Aaron and
Extrapolate his #s? He could easily pass Favre with 8+ more seasons

You understand that Rodgers numbers are AT LEAST 'partially inflated' due to the rules changes to DBs touching WRs right???

Favre didn't have that luxury earlier in his career...

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know.

A lot of fans or newer fans forget this..

Sure, Sterling was a HOF talent but other then that...

I mean Javon Walker and Greg Jennings..

But Favre was AWESOME when he had those 2 so....

I feel Aaron still has a lot to prove

Favre was also top 3 in 2001 in Yards and TDs (#4 in Passer Rating). I also didn't mention that o-line really didn't start developing until around 02-03. Outside of Bubba Franks catching a bunch of 1yd TD's in 2002 he was nothing to ride home about as a receiver. Also Javon and Jennings' time with Favre were very short. All the skill players in 05 ended on IR. From 99-06 he didn't have dominant offensive weapons.

Reaction score
While I appreciated Favre. He also startef for 19 seasons so it’s not quite fair comparing a Rodgers, who hasn’t finished his 11th season as as a starter. Unless Aaron misses an entire season again, he is on pace to crush Brett Favres TD record with plenty of time to spare.
If Aaron plays the same number of years he will also likely break Favres 71K yards mark .
This doesn’t even account Aaron having a legit shof at being one of the top 5 rushing QBs in NFL history. We don’t think of him as a runner but he’s very formidable and a better all purpose QB than Brett was.
Brett wins the toughness and reliability factor though and Aaron won’t be able to miss more than 1 season of the next 8 to have an opportunity to shatter most of Favres marks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre was also top 3 in 2001 in Yards and TDs (#4 in Passer Rating). I also didn't mention that o-line really didn't start developing until around 02-03. Outside of Bubba Franks catching a bunch of 1yd TD's in 2002 he was nothing to ride home about as a receiver. Also Javon and Jennings' time with Favre were very short. All the skill players in 05 ended on IR. From 99-06 he didn't have dominant offensive weapons.

I loved AR's accuracy in his prime

BUT... he has also benefited from the RULE CHANGES, the no DB touching WR past the line...

If Brett had that with Sharpe... hell even when we had Freeman, Schroeder, and Bradford.. he'd have 40 touchdowns every year, no question

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I appreciated Favre. He also startef for 19 seasons so it’s not quite fair comparing a Rodgers, who hasn’t finished his 11th season as as a starter. Unless Aaron misses an entire season again, he is on pace to crush Brett Favres TD record with plenty of time to spare.
If Aaron plays the same number of years he will also likely break Favres 71K yards mark .
This doesn’t even account Aaron having a legit shof at being one of the top 5 rushing QBs in NFL history. We don’t think of him as a runner but he’s very formidable and a better all purpose QB than Brett was.
Brett wins the toughness and reliability factor though.

I loved AR's accuracy in his prime

BUT... he has also benefited from the RULE CHANGES, the no DB touching WR past the line...

So I'm not so sure about your guess here

Reaction score
You understand that Rodgers numbers are AT LEAST 'partially inflated' due to the rules changes to DBs touching WRs right???

Favre didn't have that luxury earlier in his career...
Favre was a great QB. But if you’re insinuating that somehow Aaron Rodgers is inferior at the same point in their careers thats just plain not factually true.
Through 1st 10 years starting
Favre 287 TD 170 INT
Rodgers 313 TD 78 INT

Rodgers did this in 18 less game starts over his first 10 years. There’s no rule change in football since Favre retired that comes close to closing that gap

Last edited:

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Favre was a great QB. But if you’re insinuating that somehow Aaron Rodgers is inferior at the same point in their careers thats just plain not factually true.
Through 1st 10 years starting
Favre 287 TD 170 INT
Rodgers 313 TD 78 INT

Rodgers did this in 18 less game starts over his first 10 years. There’s no rule change in football since Favre retired that comes close to closing that gap

Rodgers Plays in another era of NFL Compared to when Favre played ...

Favre was a giant among his peers in his Prime ... Rodgers not so much ...

- Still ... Rodgers has more raw talent than Favre ever did, however, Favre was a Leader, Rodgers isn’t and most likely never will be ...

Members online

Latest posts