Robinson Will Try To Put Past Behind Him In Green Bay

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
by Mike Spofford, Packers.com
posted 09/11/2006
[align=right]
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
[/align]
Koren Robinson has every intention of straightening out his life, and he's going to try to do so as a member of the Green Bay Packers.

Robinson, a receiver and Pro Bowl kick returner, has agreed to terms with the Packers and will be joining the team this week.

The former first-round draft pick, whom Packers General Manager Ted Thompson selected for the Seattle Seahawks in 2001, is trying to move past some off-the-field issues that have damaged him as a person and a player. But he and Thompson feel the steps he has taken already and the support he'll get in Green Bay will allow him to put those issues behind him.

"This is a good kid," Thompson said. "I'm not making excuses. He's made some mistakes, but this is a good kid. He is a good character guy for all intents and purposes."

Robinson declined to get into specifics about his personal life, but he's looking forward to a fresh start with a new team. He was released by the Minnesota Vikings this summer during training camp.

"I'm all about new beginnings, new starts," Robinson said. "Now I'm here in Green Bay. This is a new chapter in my life, and I'm just trying to stay focused on football and go down the right path.

"I'm just going to be me. I feel like I'm very personable, a good person to get along with. I hope everybody accepts me, and I know they will. I know this organization is family-oriented, and I feel like that's what I need. I feel like everybody is here to help me out and support me, anything and everything I need, me and my family."

Robinson already has the support of quarterback Brett Favre, who welcomes the talent of another potential 1,000-yard receiver and can relate to some of Robinson's personal battles.

"I think it's a positive move," Favre said. "On the field, he can really help our football team, let's face it. His credentials speak for themselves; he's a Pro Bowler.

"As far as off the field, and this is coming from someone who's been through some of the same issues, I think everyone deserves another chance. I think this is a good place for him. He'll have a good, built-in support system and there are a lot of people here, like Ted, who know him well.

"You can become better, and on top of that he can help our football team win."

Robinson's best season as a pro came in 2002, when he caught 78 passes for 1,240 yards and five touchdowns for the Seahawks. He joined the Vikings last season and made the Pro Bowl on special teams, leading the NFC and ranking fifth in the NFL with a 26.0-yard average on 47 kickoff returns, including an 86-yard return for a touchdown.

"He's a big receiver who can run," Head Coach Mike McCarthy said. "He's a physical receiver, and he's played in this offense. His body type is built for this offense. He's a powerful man with the ball in his hands."

Thompson, who liked the 6-foot-1, 205-pound receiver enough to take him with the ninth overall pick in 2001, said he expects Robinson to potentially contribute on special teams for the Packers right away. His familiarity with the West Coast offense should make the football transition smooth.

Thompson also emphasized it will be a team commitment to support Robinson as he works to straighten himself out.

"That's what the NFL and the NFLPA is about is about trying to rectify those problems, and we've had long conversations with Koren, and he understands that he's made mistakes, and he's going to have to improve on that," Thompson said.

"He's grown both as a player and going through some of the missteps that he's taken he's grown as a human being. He's a good guy. He's affable, very friendly, jokes in the locker room, all those sorts of things. You can tell he enjoys being around the game, enjoys being around football."

Sorry, didn't want this getting lost in the four page thread down below.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course he will. He said that in Minnesota too. But good luck to him.

This signing could be a major steal. He's a good player and a good guy, he's just got some personal problems. Brett Favre had a little addiction problem too. It happens to a lot of guys.

I hope he really does straighten himself out.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very cool. Now if only the Packers would actually throw the ball in the 1st half, especially now that we have receivers.

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack should hire him a driver....seriously!
He's a good guy who has a problem, but how much will you like him if he kills somebody on the road.

It is a good pick up for you guys, football wise.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vikefan said:
Pack should hire him a driver....seriously!
He's a good guy who has a problem, but how much will you like him if he kills somebody on the road.

It is a good pick up for you guys, football wise.

The Packers already have a Driver! (Donald!) :wink:

I wonder when Robinson will be able to play.

YERCELL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They said on ESPN "a likely one-year suspension." So I'm sure that'll help a lot this year.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i could be wrong but jsonline said sunday sice his court dates arent till the end of the month i hope he comes around and like i said on a differnt post make him take a cab,but driver and brett feel he is a plus so i will go with that they the help and he's willing to give of himself at this point what do we have to lose :(

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He is on a week to week pay check basicly....If he is put in jail or suspended by the NFL, Packers are just out the $$ they spent on him before any of those 2 things happen..

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was able to get the much guarded details of Koren Robinson's new contract with the Packers.
Base salary: $275,000.00

Incentive Bonus: up to $500,000.00

250 free Green Bay Transit System Bus Passes. Free cab fare for 2 years.

I read this somewhere.

PackFanatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other players have come to Green Bay (eith issues) and redeemed themselves. I for one will give him enough rope to prove he is sincere. If not he will hang himself with it.

vikinggreg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good luck with him, he seems to have some success issues, keep him on a short leash, test him, rehab him, fill his contract with clauses. If he faulters send him to the Raiders, thats where I thought he would end up.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope like hell this works out. Robinson, Driver, and Jennings could be a nice trio along with K-rob running back kicks.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could well be wrong but I thought that the minimum salary for a guy with his years in the league was around $800,000. $275,000 could be the minimum for rookies. Correct me.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:
Will Robinson start on Sunday against the Saints?

From what I'm reading he's already the #1 KR and understandably so, but I think he is on the third team depth chart at the moment at reciever.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Recognized by Twin Cities media as winner of the Korey Stringer Good Guy Award in 2005 for his cooperation with the press

Members online

Latest posts