Robert Tonyan - TE

D

Deleted member 6794

Difficult to know if replacing Tonyan with Lazard on plays where Tonyan was split out will affect Lazard's blocking angles and his effectiveness. May not make much of a difference. Pretty sure replacing Tonyan with a WR when he plays next to the OT would invite teams to blitz or run stunts in that spot. While Tonyan wasn't a stellar blocker, its a lot to ask even a big WR like Lazard to pick up a big OLB or DE. Last night showed that closing up part of the playbook with the top 3 WR's out didn't automatically result in a loss so it shouldn't be a problem to toss out part of the playbook with Tonyan out.

Once the offensive line is back to full strength the Packers will need less help from their tight ends in pass protection. That might help Lazard making up for the loss of Tonyan.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy I look to here is Dafney based upon what I saw last year. Deguara is pretty shaky coming off a bad injury, I'd say it is 50/50 but Dafney looked very good last year. Giesecki would be incredible but what r the dollars and cap damage on him?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy I look to here is Dafney based upon what I saw last year. Deguara is pretty shaky coming off a bad injury, I'd say it is 50/50 but Dafney looked very good last year. Giesecki would be incredible but what r the dollars and cap damage on him?
I have thought all along that Dafney was a blocker. He can catch the ball but...I'm not discounting what what you're saying. It's a possibility. Just what I have thought. And I think Deguara is a pass catcher. I kind of think our team is set right now. Not staying up nights thinking about who else we can get.

D

Deleted member 6794

I have thought all along that Dafney was a blocker. He can catch the ball but...I'm not discounting what what you're saying. It's a possibility. Just what I have thought. And I think Deguara is a pass catcher. I kind of think our team is set right now. Not staying up nights thinking about who else we can get.

Deguara hasn't shown anything for me to feel confident about him a pass catcher. In aadition that's not a rol he was primarily drafted for in the first place.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deguara hasn't shown anything for me to feel confident about him a pass catcher. In aadition that's not a rol he was primarily drafted for in the first place.
I had thought that he caught more passes in college but I looked it up and it was like 37 or something. I don't know if Cincy was a run team or what. He's not tall for a TE but we'll see.

D

Deleted member 6794

I had thought that he caught more passes in college but I looked it up and it was like 37 or something. I don't know if Cincy was a run team or what. He's not tall for a TE but we'll see.

The Bearcats were definitely a running team first (61.7% of the offensive plays) during Deguara's senior season. He ended up being their leading receiver with 39 receptions but he wasn't brought to Green Bay to play the same role as Tonyan.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bearcats were definitely a running team first (61.7% of the offensive plays) during Deguara's senior season. He ended up being their leading receiver with 39 receptions but he wasn't brought to Green Bay to play the same role as Tonyan.
Still, the question for me is can he be an effective pass receiver. He looks quick with good hands. So he may be able to get open and catch the ball. For whatever reason he was drafted really does not matter. It only comes down to how he can help the team. You cannot (or should not) cubbyhole a player just because they were thinking of a specific role when he was drafted imho.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
My biggest curiosity regarding Deguara is whether he plays more H-Back to replace Toyan's snaps (but not his role) or does he play in more of an F TE capacity?

Perhaps some of both?

At 6'2" 242, he isn't dramatically smaller than Tonyan's 6'4" 240. And it isn't as though they've been asking Tonyan to do a lot of in-line blocking.

But my best guess is that we see more 21 personnel and less 12.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Imo, Ty Davis is the only guy that might fit Tonyan's role well and I have no idea on whether Rodgers would even consider throwing him the ball. I think it's more likely that LaFleur alters the plays and personnel packages to fit the current TE's.

D

Deleted member 6794

Still, the question for me is can he be an effective pass receiver. He looks quick with good hands. So he may be able to get open and catch the ball. For whatever reason he was drafted really does not matter. It only comes down to how he can help the team. You cannot (or should not) cubbyhole a player just because they were thinking of a specific role when he was drafted imho.

Deguara isn't as athletic as Tonyan though. In addition it seems that he still has issues knowing the playbook, making it close to impossible Rodgers will fully trust him.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Deguara isn't as athletic as Tonyan though. In addition it seems that he still has issues knowing the playbook, making it close to impossible Rodgers will fully trust him.
This really stood out to me in the Arizona game. And quite frankly, it's unacceptable at this point for him not to know the playbook better. Especially given that he had all the time in the world to learn it after his season ending injury last year.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone deserves a defense. So I am going to be Deguara's inexperienced public defender. He probably knows the playbook that pertains to his skill set very well. He only had a short week to learn the plays where he would be replacing Tonyan.

Reaction score
Everyone deserves a defense. So I am going to be Deguara's inexperienced public defender. He probably knows the playbook that pertains to his skill set very well. He only had a short week to learn the plays where he would be replacing Tonyan.
Actually I thought the same thing. He’s actually had significant # of snaps with the 1st team this year. He’s played roughly 25% of all the Offensive snaps this season, although primarily in a blocking capacity.

My best guess is we will see our current TE group each take on an additional
10-15% snap count.

Plus maybe a few more 4 WR sets to spread the KC Defense out more.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Won’t be surprised if it’s Lazard who sees a bigger piece of the passing game pie in the wake of Tongan’s injury.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think Deguara was supposed to replace Tonyan vs. the Cardinals. His snap count didn't increase compared to previous weeks.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the play that he did not know where to line up leading to the time out he was splitting out wide not lining up like a fullback or an H back. IMO

D

Deleted member 6794

On the play that he did not know where to line up leading to the time out he was splitting out wide not lining up like a fullback or an H back. IMO

Yes, he did. But maybe he shouldn't have ;)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw that "news' too, which really means nothing. That's not a shot at you LTF, but the bozos that posted it on the web.

A five second clip of someone running straight ahead is meaningless. I bet that Bahktiari could have posted the same thing last year. We have no clue if Tonyan can cut, stutter stop, or take a hit to the leg. Even if he's back, in all likelihood it will be a recovery year with him hopefully regaining some speed in time for the 2023 season.

He's no Adrian Peterson!

Members online

Latest posts