Robert Tonyan - TE

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sigh! It never rains, it pours!

We'll persevere. Important though he might be, he really hasn't flashed well this season yet.

Tough for him too. Pray he gets better quick.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time for Deguara to step up. Or maybe a trade is in the offing. I hear the Giants are looking to move Evan Engram.

griffin

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow! Poor guy. It's amazing how many injuries there have been this season. I know it happens every year, but man it sure seems like its someone going down every day (non playing days too)

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We'll persevere. Important though he might be, he really hasn't flashed well this season yet.

That's more due to injuries on the OL than anything else. He's been blocking a lot more this year.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow! Poor guy. It's amazing how many injuries there have been this season. I know it happens every year, but man it sure seems like its someone going down every day (non playing days too)
Law of Averages I guess. We've been pretty lucky with injuries the past couple years or so.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Sucks for Bobby T. With his numbers being down this season. Will be interesting to see if the Packers resign him and for how much.

Deguara hasn't impressed me yet, but now is his time to shine. If the Packers had more cap space, Engram would be a nice trade with the Giants, but he still has about $3M due on his contract, which expires after 2021. Maybe the Packers offer a 6th rounder and negotiate a cap friendly 3 year deal?

griffin

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Law of Averages I guess. We've been pretty lucky with injuries the past couple years or so.
For sure. With the brutality of this game, injuries are part of the game. I understand the fight of these guys not wanting that extra regular season game. Being hit by a "truck" every week and then having to do it again for 17+ weeks will for sure take its toll. Watching these kickoffs and punts and see the guys flying at full speed is insane. All it takes is one solid hit and game over

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have good blocking TE's and Deguara is an H back type if TE, but they don't have the type of TE like Tonyan that has the speed to beat a LB down the middle. Either Gute makes a trade ot they just skip the part of the playbook where they need a TE deep threat. If it takes 10 months to heal, Tonyan may be ready by the start of next season if the Packers want him back.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is cross-posted from the Hill injury thread...
IF IR necessary would love it if Gute signed off of PS: Kahale Warring (Buffalo) or Tanner Hudson (SF). Already have Lewis, Deguara, Dafney & Tyler Davis but if another receiving TE I like those 2 above.

Trading for Evan Engram (NYG) would cost approx. $3.18Mil which is probably too much for our cap situation.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all due respect for Bobby and his injury, this is good for the Packers in the long term. This helps out with next year's cap. Nobody is going to pay Tonyan big money based on 1yr of production while coming off of an ACL. The Packers could be able to re-sign him for a modest deal - assuming they can work out the rest of their cap hell.

The injury sucks for the guy and for the team in 2021.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
With all due respect for Bobby and his injury, this is good for the Packers in the long term. This helps out with next year's cap. Nobody is going to pay Tonyan big money based on 1yr of production while coming off of an ACL. The Packers could be able to re-sign him for a modest deal - assuming they can work out the rest of their cap hell.

The injury sucks for the guy and for the team in 2021.
A one year prove it deal. Otherwise the team has occasionally rolled with rewarding try hard guys after an injury to show they have faith he can make it back.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see Winfree running those seam routes from the TE position or even the slot.

Budman

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Tough for him too. Pray he gets better quick.
This year has been a nightmare. Wishing Tonyan a speedy recovery and hopefully, this team can get some guys back healthy and the rest remain healthy as well.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Difficult to know if replacing Tonyan with Lazard on plays where Tonyan was split out will affect Lazard's blocking angles and his effectiveness. May not make much of a difference. Pretty sure replacing Tonyan with a WR when he plays next to the OT would invite teams to blitz or run stunts in that spot. While Tonyan wasn't a stellar blocker, its a lot to ask even a big WR like Lazard to pick up a big OLB or DE. Last night showed that closing up part of the playbook with the top 3 WR's out didn't automatically result in a loss so it shouldn't be a problem to toss out part of the playbook with Tonyan out.

Toad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wonderful last second win last night! Sure didn’t see that coming. Sad about Tonyan. He was rapidly becoming a go to guy for Rodgers. Aaron says this is a scrappy team let’s hope that continues. So many injuries and covid but I am proud of all of them

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Sucks for Big Bob.

Deguara will see more work. I don't know if they feel they can use him in the same ways. We will see.

Engram with LaFleur could be interesting to watch.

Mike Gesicki is a pending FA-- may or may not be in the Dolphins' future plans. Same for Ian Thomas.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice way to end the season with that play.

These guys need to go back to old school pads. The irony of these newer equipment encourages these boneheads to get more aggressive with these missile style tackles.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry to see him go down, may have cost him millions. This is why players have got to get whatever they can whenever they can. No inkling that this had any cause but the lip service the NFL pays to player safety is pure bull sauce when you see them scheduling games with 3 off days in between

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts