Robert De Niro to play Vince Lombardi in upcoming ESPN film

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a new movie coming out and DeNiro just signed on to play Lombardi. The movie will follow the rivalry between Lombardi and Landry, starting with the Giants and ending with the Ice Bowl.

How does everyone feel about that?

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
There is a new movie coming out and DeNiro just signed on to play Lombardi. The movie will follow the rivalry between Lombardi and Landry, starting with the Giants and ending with the Ice Bowl.

How does everyone feel about that?

My bad. Didn't see this when I started the exact same thread two seconds ago. Apologies.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder how much they have worked with the packers on this... Also wondering how much Steve Sabol will have to do with the project. Steve loves Lombardi from his time as a kid on the sideline, so I assume if he has control over the film it will be some of his best work.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
I wonder how much they have worked with the packers on this... Also wondering how much Steve Sabol will have to do with the project. Steve loves Lombardi from his time as a kid on the sideline, so I assume if he has control over the film it will be some of his best work.

I doubt Sabol will have anything to do with it. Its an ESPN 30 for 30 film. Eric Roth (writer of Forrest Gump and The Good Shephard) is writing the script. I posted the article on it about two minutes ago.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt Sabol will have anything to do with it. Its an ESPN 30 for 30 film. Eric Roth (writer of Forrest Gump and The Good Shephard) is writing the script. I posted the article on it about two minutes ago.

Its being produced by a couple different groups, including the NFL, so I assume if its a movie and its the NFL then sabol would have his hand in there somewhere. I guess we will find out.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Its being produced by a couple different groups, including the NFL, so I assume if its a movie and its the NFL then sabol would have his hand in there somewhere. I guess we will find out.

I hope you're right. That would be really cool. I love Steve Sabol.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
PERFECT choice. De Niro should be fantastic.

Is this going to theaters? I can't believe De Niro would agree to a TV movie.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
PERFECT choice. De Niro should be fantastic.

Is this going to theaters? I can't believe De Niro would agree to a TV movie.

I think it is going to be released in theaters on the weekend of the AFC/NFC championship games in 2012. ESPN films, Tribeca Productions, Andell Entertainment, and the NFL will be partners in producing the film. I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS TO HAPPEN!!!!! Truly awesome.

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
DeNiro will play Lombardi

When I was a kid, a long, long time ago, Ernest Borgnine played Vince Lombardi in a made-for-TV movie. Today, a guy who doesn't naturally look a whole lot like Lombardi will play the former Packers coach in a theatrical...

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow! After years of watching him, I am thrilled to see him play Vince. One thing for sure, he should be able to match Vince's fire!

Two lines that I am waiting for him to say is "what the hell is going on out there??!!" ...and of course my signature:happy0005:

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Wow! After years of watching him, I am thrilled to see him play Vince. One thing for sure, he should be able to match Vince's fire!

Two lines that I am waiting for him to say is "what the hell is going on out there??!!" ...and of course my signature:happy0005:

Yes....it will be amazing. I cannot wait to see this. I haven't been this excited for a movie since Home Alone.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are definitely going to get my $11. To bad it is 1.5 years from being released... (just a guess)

PackAttackUK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This sounds awesome, but I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt that it'll get released over here in the cinema.

Hell, even The Blind Side hasn't been released here in the UK yet, and that hasn't got much football in it!

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
This sounds awesome, but I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt that it'll get released over here in the cinema.

Hell, even The Blind Side hasn't been released here in the UK yet, and that hasn't got much football in it!
That's why God made illegal internet torrents. :good:

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if DeNiro is a packer fan or lombardi fan... So far the only celebrity fans I know of for the pack are Aston Kutcher and Lil Wayne

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Gonna be interesting to see who they get to play Marie and the packer stars (hornung, Starr etc..)

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Brett Favre will make his much anticipated return to acting by playing the part of Bart Starr in the new film based on Vince Lombardi.

This will be Favre's first role since his Oscar worthy turn as "Brett Favre" in "There's Something About Mary".

True story.