Rip on TT and MM in here

ksios

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that peppers would be a great fit. I don't think that the Packers will be able to afford him if Carolina slaps a tag on him. By the way I was only a "little sarcastic in that one post" lol!! ;) . I have never been a TT fan since he took over as Gm. I do like MM as a coach though. In this thread you have people who are on both sides of the fence, each have data to support their opinion. TT didn't sign so and so (bad), TT signed so and so (good). the point to all this dribble is that one can manipulate data to support their side. If you read some of the post (maybe even one of mine???) we tend to call out the other's opinion as one person wrote"idiocy". I don't think we should get to calling other peoples opinions as "idiocy". That's why I tend to write some of the comments I do. We all love the Pack and want them to be winners all the time. Otherwise we wouldn't be on this site being so passionate.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
boisenjm said:
Last year cannot be used as any sort of measuring stick to where the defense can and hopefully will be.

(injuries)

Jenkins- arguably the best DL next to Kampman
Barnett- by far and away our best LB
Bigby- one of the few guys on our D that intimidates and can really bring the thunder (does anyone remember how he started to come on in the playoffs last year)

Couple these huge injuries with Sanders' ineffective coaching and scheme and the defense had exactly the amount of success I would imagine.

The defensive coaching & scheme from '08 was almost exactly the same as '07. Does Sanders get both credit & scorn for getting results in '07 & not in '08? Make up your mind. This defensive upheaval is a knee-jerk reaction by MM to the poor team effort of the D in '08. With a healthy Jenkins & Barnett for the entire season this shake-up of the D never happens.

boisenjm said:
All I have to say is that with a better scheme (the 3-4) as well as much better coaching (Capers, Trgovac, and what-the-heck, Greene) coupled with hopefully a healthy Jenkins, Barnett and Bigby; in addition to a significant FA signing or two and a top notch Draft pick this defense should be humming in no time.

If the 3-4 was a "better scheme" then all 32 teams would use it. Jim Bates turned GB's D around in one season ('05) & he did it without changing to the 3-4. He did it with style & intensity. He didn't need a different defensive philosophy. He just convinced the players that their own abilities were sufficient for success, they just needed to play as a unit instead of 11 individuals.

This change to the 3-4 reeks of desperation on MM's account. The 3-4 is not some miracle designed to save this team. It is just another experiment aimed at appeasing a disgruntled fanbase.

If MM really wanted to make a statement he could have proclaimed the facts: this past season's defensive effort was purely heartless when it mattered most. That's not the fault of coaching. It lays at the feet of individual players who failed at gut-check time. MM could have declared Sanders his guy through thick or thin & demanded more from where it matters most - player effort.

That would have been a more respectable turn of events. Starting over from scratch is MM's last-ditch attempt to save his own job. Good Luck.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JenningsLongCatch said:
Let's be honest here... Mike Sherman RUINED this franchise.

57-39

That was the "ruin" Mike Sherman left upon the Packers. Even with the 4-12 debacle in '05 factored in, perpetrated by the new GM with aspirations of finding his own guy to coach.

Even the 3 seasons he spent as Coach-GM rank higher than TT's first 3 seasons- in the category that counts most - wins. And he was doing MM's job in addition to TT's during that span.

'02-'04 32-16

'05-'07 25-23

The biggest drop-off in wins from one season to the next in Packers history - that is the legacy of the '08 Packers, presided over by TT.

Say what you will about the abilities of Mike Sherman. He found arguably the two best defensive lineman the Packers currently employ (Kampman, Jenkins) the best LB (Barnett) & the best CB (Harris).

The area where we all can agree that Sherman was the worst as Packers' GM was with the $$$. He was careless, borderline reckless.

In his defense, he was under the impression (because every pundit in the state of WI declared it every season) that GB was only a player or two away from another SB appearance.

We all were convinced that with the NAME under center we were going to compete for NFL supremacy every year.

That is why Sherman traded up a lot, attmepting to find that certain player that was going to push the team over the top.

I pose this question to you - if TT is so much better than Sherman, why aren't the victories piling up?

To you, LongTimeFan -

TT does favor his own acqusitions. The proof is out there. You choose to ignore it.

Mike McCarthy is the perfect example. Corey Williams is too. So is Rodgers. So is Marquand Manuel, declared "the QB of the D" in '06 by TT, instead of Mark Roman who had a sub-par '05 compared to '04 but was more experienced than Manuel.

That Sherman, Williams & Roman didn't excel with their new teams is irrelevant to the Packers. They were great fits in GB. TT didn't care, he just wanted his own guys. Period.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I hear ya on the Sherman record..He produced wins but my theory is that lot of coaches could have done just as good as him with the talent that those rosters had....He also had the luxury of being in the worse division in football..in 6 years, a team could have won the division with a record of 9-7 3 times...The Packers were beating up on the lower teams in the North for 5 wins a year

When it came to beating better than average teams they just couldnt do it on a consistent basis ( mostly playoffs) that is why they were one and done during his time here

how many on those teams were drafted or signed by Sherman? And how many were left over from the Wolf era?

My point is that the majority of the roster (meaning 75% or so ) I am almost sure they were left overs and in their prime from Wolf..

As they got older Mike was not able to replace them with same talent level..Which is what we saw as years went on...

Go back and look at some of the additions that he kept on and on and on

greenbaypacker80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with dough. I thought Sherman got a raw deal from TT. We were headed in the right direction Bates first year as DC. Though we were 4-12, we only lost 1 game badly. If I recall right, most of losses were 4 points or less. Somehow I get the feeling TT didn't like Sherman that much. I just found it amusing how TT wanted to keep Bates as DC but change the headcoach.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
greenbaypacker80 said:
Though we were 4-12, we only lost 1 game badly. If I recall right, most of losses were 4 points or less..

Wow,

looked like you were describing 2008 season there for a minute

:lol:

greenbaypacker80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
true, we didn't lose many games this year by alot. I still feel this DC change will be better. I didn't feel Sherman should have lost his job, especially all the good years he gave us. With Bates as DC also, looked like we were headed in right direction on D. TT reaffirmed that by wanting to keep Bates as DC.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
greenbaypacker80 said:
true, we didn't lose many games this year by alot. I still feel this DC change will be better. I didn't feel Sherman should have lost his job, especially all the good years he gave us. With Bates as DC also, looked like we were headed in right direction on D. TT reaffirmed that by wanting to keep Bates as DC.

I hate the argument that in 2005 the D was ranted #1 or what ever it was..its a LIE for total defense..

you are aware that the D with Bates was not as good as it appeared?

Yes they were ranked #1 in PASSING, thats cuz teams were not passing on them..

Why pass on them when you can run it down their throat

10th in toal rushing yards allowed..This year 7th in rushing yards allowed

13th in total points allowed....This year they were 9th in total scoring allowed

Those stats do not indicate a top defense at all

Check this out

greenbaypacker80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not sure where any of the defenses ranked in past. The thing with Bates was the progress. Not sure if the year before Bates was the Slowick experiment. I remember how Slowick failed miserably the one year. I think Bates was following year. Not sure if Sherman should have fired Donatell either, I thought Donatell did a good job.

ksios

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey longtime, your stats comparing the defenses from 95 and this year are very interesting. To me it looks like we had a better defense this year than 95. We all know the win/loss comparisons between the two years. were the other teams that bad in 95 (of course detroit was 0-16 this year) or is the difference between the two teams a player or two that are missing. I find it hard to believe that the recievers were better in 95. Jennings is a premier player. I'll give you the tight end was a lot better in 95. running back? we all know about who was qb(don't want to go there), or maybe it was the difference in coaching. I think the team in 95 (although with all the beers I drank from 95-09 my mind might be mush) played with more fire on both sides of the ball. To me that goes to the coach, it is his responsibility to lead with emotion. although there were a few times I saw emotion from coach, most of the time he looked like a statue out there IMO. I am very interested in your take, I don't want to hear about Favre be the difference, unless that is the only reason for the record this year ( which everybody knows isn't the reason).

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
ksios said:
Hey longtime, your stats comparing the defenses from 95 and this year are very interesting. To me it looks like we had a better defense this year than 95. We all know the win/loss comparisons between the two years. were the other teams that bad in 95 (of course detroit was 0-16 this year) or is the difference between the two teams a player or two that are missing. I find it hard to believe that the recievers were better in 95. Jennings is a premier player. I'll give you the tight end was a lot better in 95. running back? we all know about who was qb(don't want to go there), or maybe it was the difference in coaching. I think the team in 95 (although with all the beers I drank from 95-09 my mind might be mush) played with more fire on both sides of the ball. To me that goes to the coach, it is his responsibility to lead with emotion. although there were a few times I saw emotion from coach, most of the time he looked like a statue out there IMO. I am very interested in your take, I don't want to hear about Favre be the difference, unless that is the only reason for the record this year ( which everybody knows isn't the reason).

I think you mean 05?

but to compare 05 to 08 receivers is stupid..

that has nothing to do with the claim that the D in 05 was top ranked

my point was that in scoring the D was WORSE this year then the D was in 05..And 05 was a bad year

greenbaypacker80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't realize our D in 05 was ranked that high. Do any of you guys know what we were ranked in 07 when we were 13-3? I was just curious because I don't how high we were that year.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
greenbaypacker80 said:

I hate the argument that in 2005 the D was ranted #1 or what ever it was..its a LIE for total defense..

you are aware that the D with Bates was not as good as it appeared?

Yes they were ranked #1 in PASSING, thats cuz teams were not passing on them..

Why pass on them when you can run it down their throat

10th in toal rushing yards allowed..This year 7th in rushing yards allowed

13th in total points allowed....This year they were 9th in total scoring allowed

Those stats do not indicate a top defense at all

Check this out

This is true. The Packers passing defense was ranked #1 in 2005 because they were close to dead last in rush defense. That year, teams got big leads early and simply pounded the ball the entire second half to run down the clock. Rankings like that are meaningless. You need to focus on TOTAL DEFENSE.

ksios

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My bad I miss read the dates being compared. The 2005 team couldn't stop anybody that had a decent run game.

packerbacker23

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if tt doesnt draft ryan orakpo he is an idiot.he willproly blow it and draft maybin or some other high"potential" guy that will miss,just like harrell, but if your not sure check this clip out. i wasnt sure who i wanted him to draft untl o saw this and i really hope hes here at 9 check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGUc3UL64f0

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packerbacker23 said:
if tt doesnt draft ryan orakpo he is an idiot.he willproly blow it and draft maybin or some other high"potential" guy that will miss,just like harrell, but if your not sure check this clip out. i wasnt sure who i wanted him to draft untl o saw this and i really hope hes here at 9 check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGUc3UL64f0

Tony Mandarich was a legend in the weight room as well.

hitking2456

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I read all this pandering about Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy, and I feel like it is unwarranted. When you look at this team and the talent it has, the sky is the limit. I get tired of all the crying about the free agents. People throw big money at guys and then their production drops off. Give them a chance. How much has this team changed since 13-3? Favre left, and Rodgers played far beyond anyone's expectations, and the defense has kept the same players minus Corey Williams. The only difference is that we have a new D-coach and a couple of assistants who are ready to take care of business. With one or two key additions in free agency, this year will be a Super Bowl or bust in my opinion.

flyguy4ever4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I miss the days when the GB packers were somewhat relevant at least in the national media. Watch espn and nfl network all the time and nobody ever even hardly mentions GB. Doesn't seem like anybody is beating down Thompson or McCarthy's door for insight or interviews. To me this year is do or die for the dynamic duo, put up or shut up and get out of town time.

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I miss the days when the GB packers were somewhat relevant at least in the national media. Watch espn and nfl network all the time and nobody ever even hardly mentions GB. Doesn't seem like anybody is beating down Thompson or McCarthy's door for insight or interviews. To me this year is do or die for the dynamic duo, put up or shut up and get out of town time.

I noticed that too--very little mention of GB any more. Hope that TT and M&M get with it this year, and at least take our beloved Packers into the playoffs.

ksios

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also agree that the media has forgotten about GB. I think that is because of the NAME leaving for another team. That and a 4-12 season maybe a reason. The media always was interested in the Pack when the NAME and Reggie White were here. I think that if Rogers has a good season and the Pack goes deeper than one and done in the playoffs, I think the media will be back looking at the Pack. They may be back talking about the dismissal of TT and MM if we have another season like last year. I don't think this will be the season of the Pack going deep into the playoffs because it will take time for the defense to click. We will need the offense to carry the team until that happens and as the record shows the offense couldn't carry this team. The defense gave up too many points for the offense to score. I do how ever believe that if the team's players stick with it, the Pack in '10 will be a team to be feared once more. Go ahead and talk amongst yourselves.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get all worked up about the Pack not getting any love and attention from the national media folks. That's okay. Maybe now with the NAME retired some of our other good players will get some attention once the season starts. Of course the TEAM has to perform better and win those close games next season. Then we'd have the BSPNs of the world talking about the Pack once again. :)

kevo221

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted Thompson, you do not get anything for hoarding your money. Before free agency the Packers had the 5th most cap space behind Tampa Bay, Kansas City, Philadelphia, and Denver. However Tampa Bay, Kansas City, and Denver have all went out and got players to help the team (Winslow, Cassel, and Dawkins). If you have 34 million that you are sitting on, you are wasting the money, plain and simple. You would notice that the teams that are low on cap space are successful in the NFl. The 4 teams with the least space are Carolina, New England, Indianapolis, and
Pittsburgh who combined had a record of 47-17, the MVP of the league, and the Super Bowl championship. Saving is not helping.

GreenBayCracker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kevo221 said:
Ted Thompson, you do not get anything for hoarding your money. Before free agency the Packers had the 5th most cap space behind Tampa Bay, Kansas City, Philadelphia, and Denver. However Tampa Bay, Kansas City, and Denver have all went out and got players to help the team (Winslow, Cassel, and Dawkins). If you have 34 million that you are sitting on, you are wasting the money, plain and simple. You would notice that the teams that are low on cap space are successful in the NFl. The 4 teams with the least space are Carolina, New England, Indianapolis, and
Pittsburgh who combined had a record of 47-17, the MVP of the league, and the Super Bowl championship. Saving is not helping.

This.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kevo221 said:
this x2 about time someone said it...

Members online

Latest posts