RIP John Madden

Canadian Cheddar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The football world lost a true voice of the game today. The guy definitely made color commentary colorful.
John Madden, especially with Pat Summerall were voices that beaconed you towards the couch to watch a good football game. Watching Madden's sideline intensity in the 1970's was almost equally memorable where he compiled a .763 win percentage and a Superbowl win in 10 years. Not to mention all the video games. An amazing presence for the NFL, now gone. RIP.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
He was non-polarizing in the booth and made it the go-to game when he was commentating. He just made the game better.
Exactly. I kind of remember broadcasts as being a bit boring prior to Madden, although I think Monday Night Football with Dandy Don started the trend of having some fun in the booth. Madden really knew his stuff, but he wasn't over bearing and condescending with it, he just liked to have fun and entertain the listeners in the process.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he was one of if not the first with the drawings on screen during the game. Circles, routes, etc.
Didn't he also circle Nate Newtons head one time when it was steaming and say you could have a BBQ on that thing?

He had some good ones. Many times I was like, WTF are you talking about John? usually laughing and enjoying the heck out of the game. He and Summerall were great.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone said it the best with John and Pat: It was like watching the game with your two beloved beer drinking uncles - who knew everything about the game.

Yes, the good old days of broadcasters.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't he also circle Nate Newtons head one time when it was steaming and say you could have a BBQ on that thing?

He had some good ones. Many times I was like, WTF are you talking about John? usually laughing and enjoying the heck out of the game. He and Summerall were great.
Yup

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts