Ricky Williams

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Ricky is awesome. If he is mentally healthy, he could carry our running game for 4 or 5 years

Er no, he couldn't.

I live in Toronto, seen him play for the Toronto Argos of the CFL. He isn't the Ricky Williams from a few years ago.

This dude seriously looks like a stick when compared to some of the other players on the team (for example, RB Sean Avery on the Argos was much more built). He didn't have the same power he displayed a few years back, and not quite the same speed.

He still has talent, but Ricky Williams is a lot different now. There is no way he'd be a capable starting RB based on what I saw from him last season...

Of course TOPackerFan and Raider Pride could offer interesting point of views as well...

Like i said, if he is mentally together, he can and he is capable. Not really that hard for a professional athelete to get in shape or gain a little weight. Plus, he played better in Miami once he lost alot of weight he was carrying in New Orleans. Im not calling him the messiah, but i am saying he would be better than anyone we have and absolutely good enough for what we need out of a runningback. We would still need to have someone else or bring in Noah Herron on 3rd down because Ricky cant catch a cold. But TT will never pull the trigger because he likes to use our 7th round draft picks on building the franchise.

Reaction score
Like i said, if he is mentally together, he can and he is capable. Not really that hard for a professional athelete to get in shape or gain a little weight. Plus, he played better in Miami once he lost alot of weight he was carrying in New Orleans. Im not calling him the messiah, but i am saying he would be better than anyone we have and absolutely good enough for what we need out of a runningback. We would still need to have someone else or bring in Noah Herron on 3rd down because Ricky cant catch a cold. But TT will never pull the trigger because he likes to use our 7th round draft picks on building the franchise.

Being capable and actually being able are different things.

He can get in shape, but he isn't as fast as he once was, nor as explosive. At least that is what I saw from him during his stint in Toronto.

You can't teach speed, and you can't make him get back what he lost in that regard...

Plus he struggled to dominate the competition, and regardless of the differences in the game, Ricky blended in with the talent around him. You saw rare flashes that made you say "that is the NFL stuff he was supposed to bring", but otherwise he didn't stand out talent wise from the other bunch of CFL players on the field.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry no link too lazy -

The sources who spoke to ESPN.com on Saturday agreed that Williams is in compliance with the terms of his treatment and the aftercare prescribed by the NFL, and that there are no known obstacles that would preclude his comeback. One source said Williams, who is living in Grass Valley, Calif., with his fiancée and their children, is "pretty upbeat and excited" about resuming his NFL career.

Because the NFL handles such matters on a case-by-case basis, it is not known if Williams will have to meet with Goodell as part of the reinstatement process. The commissioner could technically rely, according to precedent, primarily on the reports from the policy's advisors. But given Williams' history, it would not be surprising if Goodell wanted to personally hear from him on the matter of his potential return to the league.

Wonder why he would choose to live in a city called "Grass Valley"?? :rotflmao:

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dude is a head case.

major financial issues = "I want to play in the NFL again."

unless he was making CFL defenses look like complete assclowns, why bother.

if he's still got it, then bring the pothead in!

what do his CFL stats look like?

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point for you folks is that, Nobody, absolutely no one has ever been let back into the league after being banned for substance abuse. No one.

With the new Commissioner wanting to handle discipline which spiraled out of control under the wet noodle lawyer Tagliabue, the atmosphere appears against players breaking precedent and being re-admitted to the league.

This thread is discussing an extremely remote possibility.

Reaction score
he broke his arm in the CFL, think he had like 600 yards

Not too far off:

109 Carries
526 Rushing Yards
4.8 Avg
2 TDs
1 Fumble

Week 1, started at RB in first regular season CFL game (17/06/06) and generated 121 all-purpose yards (97 rushing)…Week 2, started at RB vs Winnipeg…Week 3, started at RB in B.C. and led all players with 97 yards rushing (LG 31) and recorded his first CFL touchdown (30/06/06)…Week 4, started at RB vs Winnipeg…Week 5, started at RB but left game in second quarter after fracturing his left forearm…Week 6, did not play vs. B.C. due to injury…Week 7, did not play due to injury…Week 8, did not dress due to injury…Week 9, did not dress due to injury.

Source

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ricky deserves to come back, he has followed the NFL program to every detail and seems very mature and different.

Also, smoking pot isn't all that bad either, steroids are much worse.

I would also like to note that Ricky Williams had no problems getting perscription medical marijuana after he got suspended, he should probably have used that instead of smoking it illegally. People with social anxiety disorder have a lot of trouble relaxing.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and he wasn't suspended for smoking pot, it was some herb from holistic medicine,

if anyone should be suspended from the league it's Shawn Merriman.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ricky deserves to come back, he has followed the NFL program to every detail and seems very mature and different.

Also, smoking pot isn't all that bad either, steroids are much worse.

I would also like to note that Ricky Williams had no problems getting perscription medical marijuana after he got suspended, he should probably have used that instead of smoking it illegally. People with social anxiety disorder have a lot of trouble relaxing.
I love how the medical world can always come up with a new disorder, to give "reasons" to use illegal drugs. Hey........i have trouble relaxing too......can i get some pot to smoke please??? EVERYONE has anxiety. It just is an excuse thats readily available for another reason (excuse) to use. Then the old different level usage..........."Steriods are worse then smoking pot"......yes, that might be so. Murder is worse then just beating the crap out of someone, but BOTH are crimes and illegal. One is much worse then the other, but BOTH are bad and should not be tollerated. Illegal drugs should not be tollerated. IF they legallize it, THEN even though it's not good to do, at least you wouldn't be breaking the law.
Williams had EVERYTHING. Money, fame, adoration...........HE CHOSE to throw it all away, to flush it down the toilet so that he could continue what he saw as more important to him, his self abuse.
So should the Packers take a huge risk on a guy thats getting old and doesn't seem to have the talent he once threw away?
At least Koren Robinson seems to really want to straighten his life out. And he hasn't seemed to lose much talent wise like Williams has.
I say spend more on a rookie RB that has some real chance to be something, then on a washed up guy that might just walk out on your team if he feels like it.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Social anxiety disorder is a real disorder and a problem to many people and medical marijuana is a legitimate medication for this disorder. It helps a lot of people get through the day, if you don't accept this, well then you have a problem Dr Cheesey.

It's still criminal yes, but if the murderer gets 1 year in prison and the guy that beat up someone gets life, something is wrong.

I don't think Ricky is washed up, he has not absorbed a lot of hits in his career, you should listen to the interview I posted.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Social anxiety disorder is a real disorder and a problem to many people and medical marijuana is a legitimate medication for this disorder. It helps a lot of people get through the day, if you don't accept this, well then you have a problem Dr Cheesey.

It's still criminal yes, but if the murderer gets 1 year in prison and the guy that beat up someone gets life, something is wrong.

I don't think Ricky is washed up, he has not absorbed a lot of hits in his career, you should listen to the interview I posted.

Don't you folks from Orgen get to carry up to 1/4 ounce of "medical marijuana" on you without being prosecuted?

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Ricky should be the first ever break precedent and get re-admitted to the NFL after
1) a lifetime ban
2) repeated violations of NFL rules
3) repeated use of illegal drugs
4) repeated violations of state and federal laws?

After he becomes the first ever to be re-admitted after a lifetime ban for repeated drug use, he then

a) Pays back the Dolphins the unearned prorated portion of the signing bonus he received.
b) The Dolphins decide to sell their rights to him.
c) Somebody is stupid enough to pay for the rights to a washed up mentally ill drug abuser.
d) Ted Thompson suffers a personality change and enjoys throwing away money.
e) Ted Thompson actually pays for the rights to acquire an overpriced washed up mentally ill repeat drug offfender.
f) Ricky Williams, a washed up, mentally ill, drug abusing criminal can actually play football well enough to make the roster of the Packers.

If you think Ricky Williams is the poster child for re-admittance to the league after a lifetime ban for crimminal drug abuse, you are an anarchist.

If you actually believe it will happen, you do not have a grasp on reality.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Ricky should be the first ever break precedent and get re-admitted to the NFL after
1) a lifetime ban
2) repeated violations of NFL rules
3) repeated use of illegal drugs
4) repeated violations of state and federal laws?

After he becomes the first ever to be re-admitted after a lifetime ban for repeated drug use, he then

a) Pays back the Dolphins the unearned prorated portion of the signing bonus he received.
b) The Dolphins decide to sell their rights to him.
c) Somebody is stupid enough to pay for the rights to a washed up mentally ill drug abuser.
d) Ted Thompson suffers a personality change and enjoys throwing away money.
e) Ted Thompson actually pays for the rights to acquire an overpriced washed up mentally ill repeat drug offfender.
f) Ricky Williams, a washed up, mentally ill, drug abusing criminal can actually play football well enough to make the roster of the Packers.

If you think Ricky Williams is the poster child for re-admittance to the league after a lifetime ban for crimminal drug abuse, you are an anarchist.

If you actually believe it will happen, you do not have a grasp on reality.

Ricky Williams was suspended for the entire 2006 Season. He did not receive a lifetime ban.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2421774

He'll play in 2007 but he'll probably make the min wage and be a backup on the Dolphins.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a player gets suspended for a year and takes care of what is required of him and doesn't get into any more trouble, how does he not deserve to be reinstated?

I see absolutely no reason for Ricky Williams not to get reinstated.

The same goes for KRob. (Assuming he keeps himself out of trouble after he gets released in early June)

There's no denying these guys are by no means classy or don't have a history of character issues, but if they've served their punishment and seem to legitimately want to change their ways, how can you deny them of reinstatement? If they **** up again, sure, then ban them for a lifetime. However, I have to think guys like Ricky and Koren knows that this is pretty much their last legitimate chance at salvaging anything out of their NFL careers. If they screw up again, no one is going to be willing to take a chance on them not to mention facing further suspension from the league.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a player gets suspended for a year and takes care of what is required of him and doesn't get into any more trouble, how does he not deserve to be reinstated?

The same goes for KRob. (Assuming he keeps himself out of trouble after he gets released in early June)

There's no denying these guys are by no means classy or don't have a history of character issues, but if they've served their punishment and seem to legitimately want to change their ways, how can you deny them of reinstatement? If they **** up again, sure, then ban them for a lifetime. However, I have to think guys like Ricky and Koren knows that this is pretty much their last legitimate chance at salvaging anything out of their NFL careers. If they screw up again, no one is going to be willing to take a chance on them not to mention facing further suspension from the league.
I myself am not against reinstating them. But it's not up to me, it's up to the NFL. They have the right to do what they see as best for the NFL.
To me the real question is, who would want to take that big of a chance on Williams? The Dolphins own his rights, and i don't think any team would give up anything to get him. So i see it that he's playing there, or no where. Maybe they will prove me wrong, i don't know.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thats fine with me. If he wants to **** to not get anxious, and a doctor wants to hook him up, fine.
But the job he had doesn't allow the use of marijuana. It's in the job description. He played for several years, and as far as i know he wasn't high the whole time. (Maybe he was just hiding it well) There are other meds he could take for his anxiety that arn't illegal. So the choice is his i guess.
He averaged 4 yards a carry in the CFL. I don't see him as any better then we have on the team now. If the Packers do go after him, then i guess i am wrong and hopefully Williams himself can prove me wrong.
Believe it or not, i'd RATHER be wrong about him, and i hope he does turn his life around. I don't want to see the guy screw up his life forever.
Ultimately, thats what is most important. NOT a football game.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RainX said:

I myself am not against reinstating them. But it's not up to me, it's up to the NFL. They have the right to do what they see as best for the NFL.
To me the real question is, who would want to take that big of a chance on Williams? The Dolphins own his rights, and i don't think any team would give up anything to get him. So i see it that he's playing there, or no where. Maybe they will prove me wrong, i don't know.

If the Dolphins wanted him gone they'd trade him for a 6th round pick probably. That's my best guess. Miami though isn't exactly deep behind Ronnie Brown. I think he'll play in Miami. Ricky Williams has to go some psychiatric evaluation soon and if he passes that I think he’ll be let back in. Same with Koren. The NFL isnt' going to go to ban them like the MLB did Pete Rose.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts