Ricky Williams

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this someone the Packers should take a serious look at ? He appears to be in shape - could come cheaply in a trade - definately fills a need if he still has something left in the 'high speed beef' department. Worth a look ? I'll let you all decide. Just another thread about a old fat guy. (That last line is for the Ron Dayne hater.)

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes, let's use half of our draft picks to get Ricky Williams and the other half to get Randy Moss.

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am completely serious. If he is truely in shape and in perfect health, give me a better alternative for lets say a 6th rounder. Plus he'd fit right in if he moved to Madison.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Ricky Williams signed with the Packers he wouldn't be the first and he wouldn't be the only current player that has smoked weed before. He was on Dan Patrick Show and said he hasn't done any or been high in 3 years. I guess that's encouraging.

I'd give him a chance as a guy who can split carries with a rookie like Lynch or maybe Pittman but not as the primary back. I don't think he can be relied on for a full time basis.

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I'm not saying we should throw the house at him - just take a quick look. If Miami has zero interest, and he comes cheaply why not? I personally think the Packers have decided to have a committee in the backfield anyway. We aren't going to get a number one back. But, three numbers twos ain't half bad.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ricky wouldn't be a bad stopgap. There's not a lot of depth in this year's draft at the HB position, so if you can get Ricky cheap it could work for a year maybe. Then draft Bush later on and hope he's healthy by '08 to be a featureback.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there no player regardless of character issues that some poster would not like to come to Green Bay? There are some Packer fan poster that do not understand the Packer organization position on what it means to be a Green Bay Packer. The Green Bay Packers were founded in 1919 and are a community owned Corporation. maybe certain teams in NFL like Oakland Raiders want this type of player on the roster, it certainly isn't Green Bay.

The Green Bay Packers will not make a trade for Ricky Williams if Dolphins want to trade him or pick him up as a Free Agent if he becomes one..
Anybody who thinks this would happen is in a dream world or is just not knowledgeable how the Packer organization operates.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PWT36 obviously don't know anything about Ricky Williams. Ricky Williams isn't a bad person with character problems, he is just a withdrawn strange loner whom interests himself for old indian culture, he wasn't caught for smoking weed this last time, it was some herbs used in indian tradition and Ricky Williams was just unlucky, and didn't know it was illegal.

I would be all for bringing in Williams, he isn't lockerroom cancer and doesn't have a bad character at all, what he is is an amazing talent.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree oregonpack Ricky has never really done anything to be a cancer or a character issue. hes just a loner. and doesnt agreee with the man. so hes not out driving a hummer with guns in it, is that what you would rather have?

i would only want him if he came cheap. anytime you can put a back that good in your backfield (in a system known for making backs look better than they are) then your doing your job.

if ricky comes cheap, bring him on.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ricky has psychological issues that manifest themselves in taking drugs.

Ricky has virtually no money and in fact owes the Dolphins considerable(millions) pay back on a signing bonus received. They own the rights to his playing services.

He is banned from the league but has filed paperwork begging to be re-admitted to the league. No player has ever been so reinstated!!

There are so many issues that the odds of him ever becoming available to the Packers are less than the chance of winning the super lottery.

Bannishment from the league is a permanent condition.
He and Koren Robinson will never overcome it.
No player ever has.

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<<<< thinks Koren Robinson will overcome it

on the subject of williams i dont think he is what where looking for
TT is building a young team and RW does not fit into that

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I don't understand is why in the world the league dish out serious punishment to players that use substances which are not performance enhancing, while players that use performance enhancing substances to cheat gets almost no punishment.

Ricky Williams (unknown herbs from holistic medicine)

vs.

Shawn Merriman (steroids)

I believe what Merriman did is far worse than anything Ricky Williams has ever done.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree oregonpack Ricky has never really done anything to be a cancer or a character issue. hes just a loner. and doesnt agreee with the man. so hes not out driving a hummer with guns in it, is that what you would rather have?

i would only want him if he came cheap. anytime you can put a back that good in your backfield (in a system known for making backs look better than they are) then your doing your job.

if ricky comes cheap, bring him on.
Yeah.......he's enough of a "loner" that he walked out on his team.
I don't want THAT kind of "character" on "our" team.
The guy has proven that getting high is the MOST important thing to him. The only reason he would want to play football is it would bring him cash to buy more drugs. How is he NOT a cancer or distraction?
I don't want him.
Just my opinion of course.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
A different angle:

Would you go after Ricky to split the carries with Morency?

Actually if we did get Ricky, Morency's stats would look something like this

92 Carries
380 yards
2 touchdowns

Ricky is awesome. If he is mentally healthy, he could carry our running game for 4 or 5 years

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
A different angle:

Would you go after Ricky to split the carries with Morency?

Actually if we did get Ricky, Morency's stats would look something like this

92 Carries
380 yards
2 touchdowns

Ricky is awesome. If he is mentally healthy, he could carry our running game for 4 or 5 years
Thats a mighty big "IF" considering what he did to the Dolphins. The ONLY way i would say to sign him would be at a league minimum, and with clauses that say he doesn't get paid if he messes up with the drugs again.
And i don't think either will happen.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ricky Williams (unknown herbs from holistic medicine)

vs.

Shawn Merriman (steroids)

I believe what Merriman did is far worse than anything Ricky Williams has ever done.

EXACTLY, what Merriman did was 1000 times worse. It destroys the integrity of the game. Now we have to wonder how many are on roids, are these guys we look up to only good because of roids. When Merriman's stats go down next year, we will all know its because he isnt on roids anymore.

Ricky just smoked some pot. Take a poll of all the players in the NFL. I guarantee you 75% of them have smoked weed before. Hell, i guarantee you 75% of the people on this forum(excluding me :) ) have smoked weed before

Good post Oregon, i knew you had it in ya

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is banned from the league but has filed paperwork begging to be re-admitted to the league. No player has ever been so reinstated!!

There are so many issues that the odds of him ever becoming available to the Packers are less than the chance of winning the super lottery.

No player ever has.

Sorry no link too lazy -

The sources who spoke to ESPN.com on Saturday agreed that Williams is in compliance with the terms of his treatment and the aftercare prescribed by the NFL, and that there are no known obstacles that would preclude his comeback. One source said Williams, who is living in Grass Valley, Calif., with his fiancée and their children, is "pretty upbeat and excited" about resuming his NFL career.

Because the NFL handles such matters on a case-by-case basis, it is not known if Williams will have to meet with Goodell as part of the reinstatement process. The commissioner could technically rely, according to precedent, primarily on the reports from the policy's advisors. But given Williams' history, it would not be surprising if Goodell wanted to personally hear from him on the matter of his potential return to the league.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ricky has virtually no money and in fact owes the Dolphins considerable(millions) pay back on a signing bonus received. They own the rights to his playing services.

No player ever has.

Explain Paul Hornung......

Reaction score

Er no, he couldn't.

I live in Toronto, seen him play for the Toronto Argos of the CFL. He isn't the Ricky Williams from a few years ago.

This dude seriously looks like a stick when compared to some of the other players on the team (for example, RB Sean Avery on the Argos was much more built). He didn't have the same power he displayed a few years back, and not quite the same speed.

He still has talent, but Ricky Williams is a lot different now. There is no way he'd be a capable starting RB based on what I saw from him last season...

Of course TOPackerFan and Raider Pride could offer interesting point of views as well...

Reaction score

Funny, I've never heard that before (and I am studying to be a psychology major)....

You could argue Freudian theory that he had potty training problems and repressed ****** urges that manifest themselves in him smoking weed, but that would be a stretch.

It could be something as simple as Ricky smoking to get away from pressure of everyday life.

The fact that he smokes weed doesn't make him any less stable, in a psychological sense, than you or I.

Members online

Latest posts