Ricky Sapp

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ricky Sapp - DE/OLB - Clemson

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo3oCN4W8Wo]YouTube - Clemson Defensive End Ricky Sapp[/ame]

CBSsports.com analysis:

Read & React: Appears to have the instincts to handle the transition to linebacker. Has been asked to primarily rush the passer as a defensive end, but quickly locates the ball and has the agility and acceleration to change direction. Hustles downfield in pursuit.

Run defense: Lacks the bulk necessary to stack and shed as a defensive end. Can get bulled over in the running game and relies on his lateral agility and swim move to get past blocks, but too often takes himself out of the play. To his credit, Sapp hustles downfield and makes many of his plays in pursuit, showing the straight-line speed and agility necessary to move to linebacker.

Pass defense: Intriguing potential, despite his limited experience in coverage. Has a rare combination of straight-line speed and agility for his size. Drops into coverage as a zone defender from his defensive end position and shows good balance and the agility to re-direct in space. Good straight-line speed.

Tackling: Effective drag-down tackler from behind. Wraps up securely when taking on ballcarriers laterally or head-on. Flashes explosiveness as a hitter, but too often is a catch tackler. Needs to add strength, especially in his upper body.

Pass Rush/Blitz: Natural pass rusher. Experienced standing up and with his hand on the ground. Explosive burst and good flexibility to get under the tackle's reach and around the edge. Active hands and a good swim move to get past the initial blocker. Lacks strength to bull rush NFL offensive tackles. Relies on his agility to get past the blocker. Struggles to disengage once tied up.

Intangibles: Better athlete than football player. Will require an extensive Combine medical check after multiple injuries while at Clemson, including a partially torn ACL in his right knee in 2008. Top prep prospect who signed with Clemson over Oklahoma, Florida State and Georgia. Three-year South Carolina regional champion in the 100 meter (10.76), 200 meter (21.0), and 4x100 meter relay in high school.

Positives: Lanky build with plenty of room for additional muscle mass, especially in his upper body.

Negatives: Often generates pressure off the edge, but only has 12.5 sacks in 33 games. Lacks strength at the point of attack. Lacks the bulk to stack and shed blocks when properly engaged.

NFL Comparison: DeMarcus Ware, Cowboys

He's a guy that some scouts love and some scouts don't care about. He's slated to go from mid 1st to late 2nd...

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like a boom or bust pick. Not too high on him myself. I'd much rather have a few other prospects in the 2nd round if he does in fact drop to us in the 2nd.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That Demarcus Ware comparison sends shivers up my spine. Ware is a dream for every GM in the NFL. I don't know if Sapp will get to that level just yet but would love to have a guy like that in our lineup. Btw looking at the way he wraps up and disengages blockers the resemblance to Ware looks very clear now.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That Demarcus Ware comparison sends shivers up my spine. Ware is a dream for every GM in the NFL. I don't know if Sapp will get to that level just yet but would love to have a guy like that in our lineup. Btw looking at the way he wraps up and disengages blockers the resemblance to Ware looks very clear now.
Its funny how when you read the scouting report on him, it states he doesn't do this well, he's not good at this, but then they compare him to Ware!!! If he is anything like Ware, he would be a great addition to the Packers

Members online

Latest posts