Richard Sherman is available

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd take Sherman over Butler anyday. I completely agree with Mike Daniels, we need more bullies on our D and Sherman fits that description perfectly. Opposing teams have to start fearing our defense again. I don't think that Sherman would be too big of a distraction for our locker room, he aint Talib. Furthermore I am confident that him being on a new team and growing older will result in him not being as vocal and controversial as earlier. That being said, the man is probably going to get overpaid in FA. I'd definitely pick him up against a 2 year 16M contract or 3year 21M contract

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman is out spoken, he's not a disgusting individual like Talib. There's a difference. But he had one achilles worked on and the other was just completely ruptured. This tells me something. To have problems with both? PED's or too much cortisone over the years, neither of which point to him maintaining an elevated standard of play going forward. He's not young, he's not ancient, but he has some injuries that point to his body being older than it should be for this team to invest much in. I'm not convinced he'll come close to his former level of play coming off his achilles rupture on a new team.

and while Butler is a pretty decent DB, I still feel his price will be inflated by his super bowl play 2 seasons ago. How much will last years super bowl demotion bring the price down? enough to make a contract within reason?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the thing.

Personally, Sherman drives me nuts. I can't stand the guy. He's got insecurity issues up the ying yang.

I could probably learn to like him, but I don't want to.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman is not Sherman of 3 years ago. He was looking more and more to the average last year than he was looking exceptional. and his exceptional was also surrounded by guys that could help and a very lenient air about him when it came to getting hands on receivers and officials throwing flags. I haven't seen many guys get away with what he did. Toss in work on one achilles and a complete rupture on the other, I wouldn't give him 2 million dollars let alone 11.

This. I don't foresee much bang for the buck there.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This. I don't foresee much bang for the buck there.

I just have a very hard time believing that if Sherman was somehow signed by the Packers that you (or anyone for that matter) would feel this way. This to me is a classic "The Packers aren't going to sign him anyways, so I'll just say I don't like it" type of response. And I'm not singling you out because I've seen it everywhere so don't take it the wrong way.

The Packers signed Woodson at the same age and his numbers aren't anywhere near what Sherman's are. I get that noone else wanted Woodson, and I suspect that Sherman will have plenty of suitors. Woodson was outspoken, a malcontent, and injured down the stretch in Oakland as well, came here and resurrected his career. It's not a 1 to 1 comparison but I think you can draw some similarities between the two. If you told me today that his health checks out, meaning he may start 2018 on PUP but he's on track to a full recovery, or something along those lines then absolutely sign me up. He walks in day one on one leg and is the best CB in that room.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just have a very hard time believing that if Sherman was somehow signed by the Packers that you (or anyone for that matter) would feel this way. This to me is a classic "The Packers aren't going to sign him anyways, so I'll just say I don't like it" type of response. And I'm not singling you out because I've seen it everywhere so don't take it the wrong way.

The Packers signed Woodson at the same age and his numbers aren't anywhere near what Sherman's are. I get that noone else wanted Woodson, and I suspect that Sherman will have plenty of suitors. Woodson was outspoken, a malcontent, and injured down the stretch in Oakland as well, came here and resurrected his career. It's not a 1 to 1 comparison but I think you can draw some similarities between the two. If you told me today that his health checks out, meaning he may start 2018 on PUP but he's on track to a full recovery, or something along those lines then absolutely sign me up. He walks in day one on one leg and is the best CB in that room.

I see what you're saying, I just think he's in decline and we'll have better options elsewhere , long if not short term.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

depends what they signed him for, a couple million, I'd be cautiously optimistic because I'd want him to do well. trade for his 11 million dollar salary and I'd think it was a terrible move.

a broken leg is very different than having both achilles tendons worked on and one completely repaired. athletically i think woodson was always far and above Sherman. Sherman was physical and got away with a lot. he also had all pro's all around him. I'm not saying he wasn't a big part of that defense, but I did not see the same player last year before he got hurt. I don't think we'll ever see that same player again. If he just had a broken leg the odds of him coming back and being effective goes way up, but he didn't.

about the only big signings I didn't have much worry about in GB were Woodson, Peppers and Nelson. Or Shields either i guess. I was hoping Matthews didn't get busted for PED's. I was hoping Perry would stay healthy. I was hoping Bakhtiari would make a big jump after needing surgery and then signing a big contract. I worry about all the big dollar signings, whether home grown or not :) and Sherman would really worry me because of the decrease in level of play, age and his achilles problems. BOTH of them.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the randall trade is making this scary.

You should probably step away for the offseason. You are overreacting to every player move everywhere in the league. Go watch some Bob Ross and paint some happy trees.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know there has to be a thread about this trade somewhere. Where is it?

Reaction score
Sherman isn’t washed up. If he permanently disabled himself there would be a leak sooner or later. We wouldn’t sign him without a full physical and Carefully examined try out anyway. So we’re assuming here that he’s relatively healthy and full recovery is s given.

Sherman is a great physical player off the LOS and has the instincts and length to back it up. What he lacks in speed he makes up in attitude and acumen.

We do however have an option to get another solid FA and then add a CB in the draft so we’re just getting started

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like Sherman is too much of a question mark at this point, especially after the Martellus Bennett disaster last year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman isn’t washed up. If he permanently disabled himself there would be a leak sooner or later. We wouldn’t sign him without a full physical and Carefully examined try out anyway. So we’re assuming here that he’s relatively healthy and full recovery is s given.

Sherman is a great physical player off the LOS and has the instincts and length to back it up. What he lacks in speed he makes up in attitude and acumen.

We do however have an option to get another solid FA and then add a CB in the draft so we’re just getting started
but assuming a full recovery from an achilles rupture on one side and some other mystery achilles work on the other is a reach for a guy that is 20, let alone a guy with miles on his legs.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adam scheffler tweeting Sherman received interest from 7 teams including the Packers.

Sounds like he will be signing with the 49ers though.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like he will be signing with the 49ers though.

People will gnash their teeth and whine that the Packers aren't doing anything, but Sherman to the 49ers makes the most sense from a personal standpoint. He is from California, went to Stanford, played in Seattle.... he appears to be a West Coast guy. Plus throw in that he would play Seattle x2 a year... If I was him, I'd go to SF.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lYou should probably step away for the offseason. You are overreacting to every player move everywhere in the league. Go watch some Bob Ross and paint some happy trees.
lol...i just don't think he'll be physically ready to play at the start of the season. anyone who's had an achillies loses a step and he's had two. he's no one to count on as a number one anymore.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seattle didn’t put their (formerly) awesome defense together by chasing over the hill big name players. Lets find the NEXT Richard Sherman and judiciously use free agents to fill in gaps that must be addressed immediately..... you know... like New England does?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So many people are now speculating that Randall was a bad influence in the locker room and that is part of the reason he was sent packing and yet they are all in on Richard Sherman who is rumored to be anything but an angel himself. I will be honest if locker room politics had anything to do with Randall being gone I don't see BG turning around and bringing in someone like Sherman.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So many people are now speculating that Randall was a bad influence in the locker room and that is part of the reason he was sent packing and yet they are all in on Richard Sherman who is rumored to be anything but an angel himself. I will be honest if locker room politics had anything to do with Randall being gone I don't see BG turning around and bringing in someone like Sherman.
it's being reported and players have now tweeted about it. not speculation anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts