Richard Seymour

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know, another big name potential free agent, so there must be a forum on it. :)

BUUUUUTTT, at 33 and a few seasons of irrelevancy stuck in OAK, his price has to be depreciated. His stats still show he's an effective DE. He's the prototypical 3-4 DE in that he has great size and speed to be able to play strong against the run and also supply some pressure on the QB. If the price is right, I think it'd be a savvy move for TT.

Much like my previous thread of S. Jax - There may be some "aging" veterans available for a discount that could fill some important holes on this team. Obviously, it all comes down to balancing the cap space with looming contract extensions. But, I'd like this approach for free agency this season.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moss came out of Oakland in good shape and so did Woodson. I don't think that Seymour is washed up and could fill a very important role on our defense. You can tell me that I don't understand the 3-4 system but I still think we need more real beef up front in the middle.

For the right price this could work out well. Luckily we know the head honcho over there in Oakland. Maybe he'll put in a good word

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Seymour is far from washed up. But I'm interested to see how he'd be used considering I don't think he's ever played in a 3-4 scheme

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But I'm interested to see how he'd be used considering I don't think he's ever played in a 3-4 scheme
I really think that scheme is more in the mind of the player than anything else. A good player can adjust to any scheme and succeed, they just need the motivation and mindset to do it. Kampman could have done it for GB but he made up his mind against it from the start - likely for comfort and familiarity reasons. However, he could have been a great compliment to Clay had he wanted to be.

Seymour could make that transition. He's a special player. The question is whether he would want to do it

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I have no idea how much Seymour has left in the tank. My guess is there’s a good chance he’ll be one of the UFAs still available after the opening frenzy of the UFA signing period is over so there’s a chance… slight as it is. Seymour reminds me of Wolf’s last draft in 2001. Rumor was Wolf targeted him when he traded Matt Hasselbeck to Seattle to move up from #17 to #10 in the first round. Of course Seymour was picked #6 and the Packers picked Jamal Reynolds instead. It would have been better to have traded Hass straight up for whatever they could have gotten and stayed at #17 and picked OG Steve Hutchinson as Seattle did. Or at least waited until the draft was underway to see who was available at any willing trading partner’s pick. Of course that’s an easy call with the benefit of hindsight. Unfortunately that was one of Wolf’s worst drafts: He picked 6 players with Robert Ferguson being the only keeper.

Members online

Latest posts