Richard Rodgers Vindicated

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How bout that for a Rodgers to Rodgers connection. He might not be fast, but anyone wanna doubt he can catch now?

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think any one really doubted he could catch. It was his running after the catch that stood out tonight.

The way he went for that ball in the end zone at the finish...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
he has great hands...no one doubts it..

His speed sucks, and get break tackles

But who cares right now

DC_Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His prior basketball experience came up huge there. He had his back towards AR when the ball was thrown, turned around to locate the ball- then looked back to locate the end zone- located the ball again, and the caught it at the highest point.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Let's give RR some credit and just be thankful he didn't catch it 2 yards short of the end zone and get tackled!

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Credit to Aaron as well for throwing the ball so high in the air to give RR time to position himself.

If Aaron had thrown the ball with a normal arc, that ball would have traveled 100 yards in the air.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That last play was perfect for him and should serve as a teaching point to other receivers and the coaching staff. RR can be valuable to this offense. Even between the 20's. He doesn't need to be a seam buster, he's not built that way. Run him to an area and put the ball where he can shield the defender and he has great hands to catch with. Even if he's only 7 yards down field, that's 7 yards and I'll take them. Especially when we only needed 6 for a first down.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RR has excellent hands. More of a possession type TE.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think his speed is as bad as once suspected. He is just not a quick or explosive guy, he needs a couple of steps to get going and most catches we've seen from him have been when his momentum had already stopped. When he gets a running start, he doesn't look like Gronk but he certainly looks more agile than on those short screens.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How bout that for a Rodgers to Rodgers connection. He might not be fast, but anyone wanna doubt he can catch now?

He played well, with some big catches on the Pack's third touchdown drive as well. Let's hope he can sustain it.

In the end, Green Bay wins on a Hail Mary, a disputed call, against a team that Golden Tate plays for. If that's not karma, then there's no such thing.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I'm similarly at fault, it's always fun to see forum reaction. RRodgers was getting accolades early in the year, during the winning streak. Then during the down time, he was the worst 3rd round choice, ever. Now, after one catch (OK, maybe one game), he's back in good graces again. Gotta love it.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was giving RR a hard time last week. But this week was different. Yes, he had some of those almost worthless short passes but he had several catches where he was actually running farther upfield. That is the way to use him; not just as a dumpoff. Not a really fun game to watch but all that ends well...

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That last play was perfect for him and should serve as a teaching point to other receivers and the coaching staff. RR can be valuable to this offense. Even between the 20's. He doesn't need to be a seam buster, he's not built that way. Run him to an area and put the ball where he can shield the defender and he has great hands to catch with. Even if he's only 7 yards down field, that's 7 yards and I'll take them. Especially when we only needed 6 for a first down.

I'll take a TE who catches pretty much everything thrown at him and doesn't get many YAC as opposed to one who breaks an occasional tackle but can't catch.

I'd love to have a guy like Gronk but it isn't necessary. Lots of teams win without a Gronk. We need guy who can catch the ball when it is thrown at him anything else is gravy.

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Richard Rodgers is one of my favorite players and he had a good game. The hail mary catch is epic.. What a game and the defense shut down the lions in the second half.

"A New Hope."

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
My son put him on his fantasy team at the beginning of the season and I laughed at him. Guess he's laughing now.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll take a TE who catches pretty much everything thrown at him and doesn't get many YAC as opposed to one who breaks an occasional tackle but can't catch.

I'd love to have a guy like Gronk but it isn't necessary. Lots of teams win without a Gronk. We need guy who can catch the ball when it is thrown at him anything else is gravy.

I suppose that's a reference to Jermichael Finley?

D

Deleted member 6794

There wasn´t ever any doubt that Rodgers has great hands, he´s just not athletic or physical enough to make yards after he catches the ball. If the Packers end up using him like last night though he could turn into a much needed weapon for the QB. He did a perfect job on the hail mary.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I'm similarly at fault, it's always fun to see forum reaction. RRodgers was getting accolades early in the year, during the winning streak. Then during the down time, he was the worst 3rd round choice, ever. Now, after one catch (OK, maybe one game), he's back in good graces again. Gotta love it.
INobody doubted his hands, as they are great, but his athletic ability for a 3rd rounder. He's not painfully slow as I thought (Finley ran a 4.81) as much as he painfully lacks in quickness and acceleration, so if any route involves him stopping and catching the ball, like the screens we've seen, that's as far as he is going to go.

But when he catches the ball in stride, he looks like a completely different player. Taking away the long pass, he still had 7 catches for like 85 yards, which is drastically better than what we've seen from him.

Members online

Latest posts