Rhodes signs 2 year deal with Oakland

Jakest3r

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Running back Dominic Rhodes, one of the heroes of the Indianapolis Colts' Super Bowl XLI championship less than two months ago, is headed to the team that finished the 2006 season with the league's worst record.

Rhodes on Friday morning agreed with the Oakland Raiders on a two-year deal, which was announced later in the day, that can be worth as much as $7.5 million. Rhodes had generated considerable interest as an unrestricted free agent and made several visits, but met with Oakland officials earlier this week and was sold on the opportunity there.

"I just want to come in and help this team win," Rhodes said, according to The Associated Press. "It's an honor to be here and an awesome experience to play for the Raiders. The whole history of the Raiders, I love it."

The sixth-year veteran will serve as an insurance policy for the Raiders, in the event incumbent starter LaMont Jordan does not bounce back from the medial collateral ligament injury that limited him to nine games in 2006. More likely, however, the two will split the ball-carrying duties in the Oakland backfield.

Jordan earlier this week reworked his contract, reducing a roster bonus that was due him, to remain with the Raiders. After rushing for 1,025 yards in 2005, his first season in Oakland after four years with the New York Jets, Jordan slumped to 434 yards in 2006.

Rhodes, 28, played six seasons in Indianapolis, appearing in 71 games and starting in 27 contests. The former Midwestern State (Texas) standout made the Colts' roster as an undrafted college free agent in 2001, then further beat the odds by rushing for over 1,000 yards as a rookie, when he replaced an injured Edgerrin James.

He carried 550 times for 2,274 yards and 19 touchdowns in six seasons and added 90 receptions for 649 yards and one touchdown.

"Dominic will be a dynamic presence that can diversify our offense both as a runner and pass catcher," new coach Lane Kiffin said, according to AP. "He is focused and determined to come here and compete immediately with our other running backs."

Last year, in the Colts' Super Bowl season, Rhodes started all 16 regular-season games before rookie Joseph Addai replaced him in the lineup at the outset of the playoffs. But Rhodes still played a significant role in the postseason and, in the Super Bowl victory over the Chicago Bears, he rushed for a game-high 113 yards.

Rhodes still faces a drunken-driving charge in Indiana, where police said he was pulled over early the morning of Feb. 20 driving a truck 81 mph in a 55-mph zone on an Indianapolis-area interstate.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he would've of been a nice signing especially for two years. Nice pickup for the Raiders.

You can see the difference in 2nd tier free agents and guys who sign right away. It's a huge drop off in money and very little in value.

If things don't pickup next week for the Packers then I'm going to be very dissapointed in Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he would've of been a nice signing especially for two years. Nice pickup for the Raiders.

You can see the difference in 2nd tier free agents and guys who sign right away. It's a huge drop off in money and very little in value.

If things don't pickup next week for the Packers then I'm going to be very dissapointed in Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy.

Why Porky, we have 2 young safeties, 2 young corners, 3 young running backs, and 2 young receivers; all of whom have more upside than most of these instant millionairs that have been signed in the last week. The competition in training camp is going to be very intense this year, and we haven't even drafted yet.

I would rather have TT spend the money extending Barnett, Corey Williams, and Taush. Now don't get me wrong, I would have liked to have had Deon Grant signed, but not for what the Seahags paid.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

Why Porky, we have 2 young safeties, 2 young corners, 3 young running backs, and 2 young receivers; all of whom have more upside than most of these instant millionairs that have been signed in the last week. The competition in training camp is going to be very intense this year, and we haven't even drafted yet.

I would rather have TT spend the money extending Barnett, Corey Williams, and Taush. Now don't get me wrong, I would have liked to have had Deon Grant signed, but not for what the Seahags paid.

3.5 million for two years isn't going to put the Packers anywhere close to cap hell. Rhodes would've been an ideal replacement for Green. I do think the fact he might have to sit 4 games turned a lot of teams off. None the less the Packers still would have had plenty of room to get a contract done with Barnett and Williams as well.

I'm not overwhelmed by the Packers current Running backs, corners, and one of the safeties. I like Underwood though. The Packers are far from being a Super Bowl caliber team. I have no problem watching other teams spend money unwisely but that part of free agency has come and gone. Most of the second tier free agents will give you almost as much production and sometimes more than guys who have already signed but they come at fair value. Right now the Packers are getting to picky.