Revolutionary Idea

spaulding

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1 year contracts. No signing bonus, no roster bonus. No pay for players on injured reserve. Pay for games played only. Salary cap at $60 million, no annual increase til next collective bargaining agreement.

The way I see it not even Dan Snyder could snatch up all the Pro Bowler because without proration of bonuses and other cap tweaking measures you can pay everybody top salary. Most teams are like the Pack with anywhere from $5million to $20 million in dead cap money. Now it's not an issue. You play at a higher level than your pay? It'll catch up to you next year. You suck it up? Same thing. This would eliminate holdouts as well as lessen the risk of signing players like Joe Johnson, Koren Robinson et al. It would also keep ticket prices more affordable for fans.

OP
OP
S

spaulding

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rosters won't necessarily change as much as you think. With a hard cap limit a team can't load up on all-pros. Players will work harder to justify/improve salary. The one's that have to worry about switching teams are the underachievers.

OP
OP
S

spaulding

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's always the PUP list. Besides college players can take insurance policies. The pro's can too, either privately or through the NFLPA.

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, Spaulding's onto something here. No harm in experimenting with No Contract Football. But why even bother with 1-year contracts?

I suggest pay-as-you-play. After each game, the player merely steps up to the cashier's window and collects cash. Team wins, everybody who played gets a million bucks. Team loses everybody gets nothing. Easy peasy.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would tender that maybe they could tone it down a bit - and start lowering prices on the tickets buy in the process.... I would pay the Players for elevated play...if you see my reasoning. They all would get the same pay at the beginning of the season, at whatever position... then as they make great plays, then bonus incentives start to pile up...

Meaning, no more Randy Moss scenarios.. no more Antonio Freeman or Darren Sharper... lax play tactics.... The harder they play, the more money they make... Sounds a bit more logical in the long run if you do it that way.... An extra $1,000 or $2,500 per QB sack, $5,000 for an INT and another $5,000 if he's able to run it back to the End Zone and score the TD... etc., etc. The money line would be hard to figure at first, but after a time, it would measure itself out....

It would also be harder for Teams to out purchase each other on Players, right?
We've discussed this at length down at the Club... it does have merit.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well that is a nice idea. However if these owners of the teams with people holding out are smart they will not give into them and then the holdouts should stop when the players see that they cant get away with this crap. So it is a good idea unless the owners are smart and therefore we wouldn't need it. And so far the owners have been good and have not given in to the holdouts. :)

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
Well that is a nice idea. However if these owners of the teams with people holding out are smart they will not give into them and then the holdouts should stop when the players see that they cant get away with this crap. So it is a good idea unless the owners are smart and therefore we wouldn't need it. And so far the owners have been good and have not given in to the holdouts. :)
I would push my protocol to become something the NFL relies on... period!
Incentives always bring out the best and the most intelligent of people in "any" Organization. It's the capitalistic way.... No guarantees other than you watch what you're up to and the Company will then reward you - and if they don't... well, that'll become well known quite quickly, now wouldn't it...? You damn skippy, it would! I really see no reason why this tactic shouldn't become the mainstay of the NFL....

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can just see the NFL management team presenting your suggestions on this topic at a bargaining session with NFL Players Union. Care to bet how many seconds it would take for the Player Union representatives to clear out of the meeting room. And they would be yelling strike in unison on the way out and at the press conference that followed the short meeting. It would set pro football management-players negotiations back 22 years to 1982-1983 NFL Player Strike era. Why in the world, would any fan over react to a few players and rogue agent threatening holdout. The present CBA has provided peaceful relations between the NFL and the NFL players Union and provided economic benefits to both. NFL has become the dominant professional sport in the USA with a international following, far surpassing all others. The NFL has signed big TV contracts with CBS, Fox, ESPN and NBC. The NFL stadiums for most NFL teams are filled to capacity on Sunday. Money is rolling in from NFL Franchises logo licensed merchandise. The effective salary cap and CBA of NFL are the envy of all Pro Sports Leagues. The NFL operating procedures have kept small market franchises like Green Bay in the league and competing in the NFL and very successfully. Green Bay Packer record since 1993 is 127-65 which is the best record of any franchise in the NFL in this era. You posters want to panic and drastically change how the NFL operates." Be careful what you wish for, you might get it", and The Green Bay Packer franchise could be a casualty.

Gravedigger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PWT36 said:
I can just see the NFL management team presenting your suggestions on this topic at a bargaining session with NFL Players Union. Care to bet how many seconds it would take for the Player Union representatives to clear out of the meeting room. And they would be yelling strike in unison on the way out and at the press conference that followed the short meeting. It would set pro football management-players negotiations back 22 years to 1982-1983 NFL Player Strike era. Why in the world, would any fan over react to a few players and rogue agent threatening holdout. The present CBA has provided peaceful relations between the NFL and the NFL players Union and provided economic benefits to both. NFL has become the dominant professional sport in the USA with a international following, far surpassing all others. The NFL has signed big TV contracts with CBS, Fox, ESPN and NBC. The NFL stadiums for most NFL teams are filled to capacity on Sunday. Money is rolling in from NFL Franchises logo licensed merchandise. The effective salary cap and CBA of NFL are the envy of all Pro Sports Leagues. The NFL operating procedures have kept small market franchises like Green Bay in the league and competing in the NFL and very successfully. Green Bay Packer record since 1993 is 127-65 which is the best record of any franchise in the NFL in this era. You posters want to panic and drastically change how the NFL operates." Be careful what you wish for, you might get it", and The Green Bay Packer franchise could be a casualty.

Do you work for the NFL? Teams are raiding the public coffers everywhere and threatening to move if they can't get away with their reverse Robin Hoodism. The Green Bay Packers have survived through the love and sacrifice of the best fans in the world. The rich bastards who run the league would love to get rid of us along with the very idea of community-owned football.

This is an important thread for those of us fed up with the status quo.

We need a very large conversation about what's gone wrong with salaries and ownership and the game's destruction. I like some of the ideas here.

I think we should also be talking about expanding the league to match the number of teams in Divison 1.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gravedigger said:
Do you work for the NFL? Teams are raiding the public coffers everywhere and threatening to move if they can't get away with their reverse Robin Hoodism.

The Green Bay Packers have survived through the love and sacrifice of the best fans in the world. The rich bastards who run the league would love to get rid of us along with the very idea of community-owned football.

This is an important thread for those of us fed up with the status quo.

We need a very large conversation about what's gone wrong with salaries and ownership and the game's destruction. I like some of the ideas here.

I think we should also be talking about expanding the league to match the number of teams in Divison 1.
I can see where PWT is coming from...BUT ------
Aren't "we [all] tired" of the constant BIG contract scenario watching the Players go off to Peter Pan Land immediately afterwards...? Sure we are! One thing's fer sure - if we use incentives (that aren't exactly guarateed up front) based on performance instead... then Players would work damn hard to make sure the injury bug doesn't bite so easily... it relates directly to their final income for that Season. Also - YOU DAMN SURE aren't gona see Players taking the summer months off, now are you....? I would think not.

The whole League and especially the fans benefit from this approach.
Does it speak to the greed factor that some Players came into the League over, to begin with? Sure it does --- Bit it's not necessarily an automatic rich guy type scene any longer either.... It also lets Players know that the College Degree they went after.. is also of prime importance...

Call it a more conservative approach than what we've seen!
It brings focus back to the things that really count....

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can I be a smartass too. How about if we only pay the players from the winning team. That would add some meaning and intenseness to each game. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :shock:

grabthar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One problem with pay-per-performance is that it doesn't promote team chemistry. If a D-lineman gets paid $100 per sack, and $50 per tackle, how many of them are going to do run support? They are all going to go after the QB. If 2ndary players are paid per pick, they will go for the intercept every time, rather than just bat the ball up in the air for a teammate to pick off. QB's will audible to passing plays all the time. If you take it to the extreme, fullback won't block for RB's so they might get hurt and give the FB's more carries.

It's good in theory, but tears apart the kind of Chemistry that the Patriots have where people play out of position, just to help the team.

grabthar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all, Bonus money wouldn't exist.

Then, I would set them up so every team has slotted salaries. There are 10 Minimum wage, 10 $400,000, etc or however they want to do it. There would be 3 or 4 spots at the top that would be open ended, but there would still be a salary cap. If a team wants to use one of the open ended salay slots and pay 50 million to one person, the other open ended slots would be minimum wage (or whatever they could fit under the salary cap.

Also, the team that has the players rights, would be able to offer more than the opposing teams. A player could only get a 10% raise by any other team, but a 15% raise by the team that owns their rights.

The one thing it would do is promote more sign and trade deals. That keeps the player/team relationship better because they are a jerk, the team won't do that.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bring in this "get paid when you play" scenario and you'll bring back "scab football" because the real players would not play under this idea. Plus, the players want the upfront money as rookies in the terms of signing bonuses because it is not a given they will be around even for two years much less a career. It's interesting to talk about, just not very likely to see come to fruition.

Members online

Latest posts