Revising the 2012 draft

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's see how it looks so far.

1. Perry - Some were puzzled at this pick as Perry still seems to project more as a 4-3 DE. He did show some flashes before being injured for the season. Remains to be seen whether he can be the pass rushing OLB we desperately need opposite Matthews. Too early to evaluate.

2a. Worthy - Relatively quiet year. Still a good value pick at a position of need. Showed some flashes of interior pass rush as a rookie and may improve on that going forward.

2b. Hayward - Top pick. Was already a solid pick based on the value point difference gained trading up, Hayward was a tremendous value here, and looks like a solid part of the secondary for years to come.

4a. Daniels - Good value pick who probably should have gone higher. Arguably outperformed Worthy as a rookie.

4b. McMillian - Looked very solid early on before eventually losing out on snaps to Jennings. Still has a chance to start at SS opposite Burnett going forward with a solid training camp next year.

5. Manning - Disappointment of the draft as I thought he was a great value here. Some limited contributions on special teams. With Bishop and Smith returning next year, he's going to have a great training camp just to make the team, particularly if there is any ILB drafted early. Without knowing this for certain, he seems like a guy who thought he was a little better than he is and able to get by on talent alone, and wasn't ready for the wakeup call of the kind of hard work it would take to be in the NFL.

6. Datko - Fell behind UDFA Barclay on the depth chart, spending most of the season on the practice squad. Still a work in progress and way too early to fairly evaluate.

7. Coleman - Will benefit from several years in the Packers QB school.

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's see how it looks so far.

1. Perry - Some were puzzled at this pick as Perry still seems to project more as a 4-3 DE. He did show some flashes before being injured for the season. Remains to be seen whether he can be the pass rushing OLB we desperately need opposite Matthews. Too early to evaluate.

2a. Worthy - Relatively quiet year. Still a good value pick at a position of need. Showed some flashes of interior pass rush as a rookie and may improve on that going forward.

2b. Hayward - Top pick. Was already a solid pick based on the value point difference gained trading up, Hayward was a tremendous value here, and looks like a solid part of the secondary for years to come.

4a. Daniels - Good value pick who probably should have gone higher. Arguably outperformed Worthy as a rookie.

4b. McMillian - Looked very solid early on before eventually losing out on snaps to Jennings. Still has a chance to start at SS opposite Burnett going forward with a solid training camp next year.

5. Manning - Disappointment of the draft as I thought he was a great value here. Some limited contributions on special teams. With Bishop and Smith returning next year, he's going to have a great training camp just to make the team, particularly if there is any ILB drafted early. Without knowing this for certain, he seems like a guy who thought he was a little better than he is and able to get by on talent alone, and wasn't ready for the wakeup call of the kind of hard work it would take to be in the NFL.

6. Datko - Fell behind UDFA Barclay on the depth chart, spending most of the season on the practice squad. Still a work in progress and way too early to fairly evaluate.

7. Coleman - Will benefit from several years in the Packers QB school.

Just so you know.

“It was rough,” Manning said. “I had been sick for almost three weeks. I got down to 220 pounds. On top of that, I was stressing out and having to prepare my body to go through camp as well as working on only two hours of sleep, spending the whole night in pain and still trying to learn the plays.”

His problems began the first week of training camp, and the Packers’ medical staff quickly realized this was no ordinary stomach flu or food poisoning. The 6-foot-2, 237-pound Manning was tested for everything from Crohn’s disease to cancer before he was diagnosed with a parasite that caused colitis, an inflammation of the large intestine.

Through it all, Manning didn’t miss a practice. He was on the field for all 21 training camp sessions and the four preseason games. Even when he got off to a slow start and wasn’t performing like the player general manager Ted Thompson thought was worth trading up for and drafting in the fifth round out of N.C. State, Manning never considered using his illness as an excuse. Only after surviving Friday’s final roster cuts did Manning discuss it publicly.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was probably a little ******* Manning. I did hear that bit about him in TC. Just hoped that once he got over it, there would start being some emergence. Still has a shot next training camp.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has anyone ever (past 3 years) accused our defense of being "physical" or "intimidating" or a "good tackling" defense even?
Nope of course not.

Vontaze Burfict would have been a steal for us last year.
We also could have added a safety with a presence, cheaply, in FA in LaRon Landry.

These would have been moves like getting a Wayne Simmons back in the day.

I hate how passive and soft our defense is.
It's bad enough Kaepernick ran for a historic 181 on us. That is terrible.
But it's worse that he didn't take any shots!
Rodgers would get killed against ANY defense if he ran that much.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
His problems began the first week of training camp, and the Packers’ medical staff quickly realized this was no ordinary stomach flu or food poisoning. The 6-foot-2, 237-pound Manning was tested for everything from Crohn’s disease to cancer before he was diagnosed with a parasite that caused colitis, an inflammation of the large intestine.

Through it all, Manning didn’t miss a practice. He was on the field for all 21 training camp sessions and the four preseason games. Even when he got off to a slow start and wasn’t performing like the player general manager Ted Thompson thought was worth trading up for and drafting in the fifth round out of N.C. State, Manning never considered using his illness as an excuse. Only after surviving Friday’s final roster cuts did Manning discuss it publicly.
There is no such thing as ordinary food poisoning. That little discomfort people call into work with isn't food poisoning. If you've had it you know. Botulism can kill within 8 hours.
I had it when I was 19 and had just run my first marathon. I honestly thought I might die. He would not have been playing with almost all stomach diseases.
Just a caution: The USDA's policy on food is "when in doubt, throw it out" and those are good words to live by. What Manning had isn't as serious as the other things that he could have had, he's a tough guy for playing football with it though.
Just making the point that nobody plays football with food poisoning. It's an effort to even walk.

smuggler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you Frank, I think that Matthews should have hammered Kaepernick after every option play hand-off or no (as long as it's in doubt). That's the best way to get a team to stop running that twinky read option stuff -- destroy their QB when he surrenders his passer protections.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts