return of the Hawk

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had such high hopes for a number 5 pick. One scout even called him "The most NFL-ready player in the draft." By the end of his second season I thought he had "journeyman" written all over him. A few mediocre years...then some BAD years....Then LOUSY.
Enough. It's time to do what TT has always done...take a flyer on a draft pick. Some hits...some misses....but just do it....and may the devil take the hindmost. Sad to say but TT''s highest picks have been Hawk(5), a mediocre player, and Raji(9), shaping up for a downhill ride. I hate to think what the Packers would be like if 3/4 of the league hadn't been afraid that Rodgers(24) would always be hurt. Geez, TT even took Harrell at 17. As a Packer fan for over 50 years, I tend to look at our new players with rose colored glasses....but Holy Cow...Hawk was way over-rated. Not as bad as MANDARICH, one of the BIGGEST BUST-OUTS in the History of the NFL draft, and, in my opinion, the worst #1 Packer pick ever. (Even worse than Campbell and Tagge, .... and that's saying something. Hawk is in their league.)

Hawk gave us 8 years as a solid starter before a terrible 9th season. No he did have the impact we'd hope of a 5th overall pick, but he's nowhere near in the discussion for one of the biggest Packer busts.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk gave us 8 years as a solid starter before a terrible 9th season. No he did have the impact we'd hope of a 5th overall pick, but he's nowhere near in the discussion for one of the biggest Packer busts.

Hawk's overall PFF rankings by year:

2014 -14.4
2013: -8.9
2012: 0.8
2011: -7.2
2010: -6
2009: -3.9
2008: -14.5
2007: -2.9

Couldn't find any data for before 2007, but his 2008 was just as awful as 2014. It's tough to pick out a year that would even really qualify him as a solid starter. He was a below average athlete that managed to skate by on draft potential and perceived upside for a long, long time. Certainly he's not a Mandarich level bust but given that he was our only top 5 pick since Terrell Buckley we were certainly hoping for more.

That said, he was always available, never injured, and never once a distraction in his time here. I can appreciate that.

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see your point everyone about him being a reliable player .... i just don't think he's what a championship-aspiring team needs in the middle of the defense. .... that is, a heavy duty playmaker that makes the other team's offense have to change their play-calling out of their comfort zone in order to account for him. For example......They're both pretty much done now ....but Harrison and Polamalu out of Pitt come to mind as the type of defensive player who is desirable. Other teams had to especially account for those guys on virtually every play. I didn't and won't say those players grow on trees.....but wow...if you get one ..... the games get a whole lot more pleasant for the Packers!

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Carl .... i just wish he had been better.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk's overall PFF rankings by year:

2014 -14.4
2013: -8.9
2012: 0.8
2011: -7.2
2010: -6
2009: -3.9
2008: -14.5
2007: -2.9

Couldn't find any data for before 2007, but his 2008 was just as awful as 2014. It's tough to pick out a year that would even really qualify him as a solid starter. He was a below average athlete that managed to skate by on draft potential and perceived upside for a long, long time. Certainly he's not a Mandarich level bust but given that he was our only top 5 pick since Terrell Buckley we were certainly hoping for more.

That said, he was always available, never injured, and never once a distraction in his time here. I can appreciate that.

Other than dependability I never understood the attraction of Hawk. He was a huge liability in pass coverage. He was just a terrible blitzer.

As for the running game, while he certainly seemed to understand the D and his assignment, in his 9 years I remember almost no big stops where he kept a runner short of a first. Indeed, he was notorious for making tackles well past the line of scrimmage and never, ever making an impactful hit.

At his best AJ was mediocre, however he was often far below mediocre even though he was paid quite handsomely.

Time to move on was a couple of years ago. If he is on the roster next year, the Pack is likely in real trouble at inside linebacker.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk had several good years certainly not what you HOPE for at #5 but hardly a bust. Raji at #9 has a pro bowl year and an all pro year out of 5 seasons that he was not injured. Both were quality starters on a Super Bowl team. Not every lofty draft choice is going to be a HOF'er. I'm hoping Raji is not done in GB but there's word that New England wants him (what does that Belechik guy know?)

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk had several good years certainly not what you HOPE for at #5 but hardly a bust. Raji at #9 has a pro bowl year and an all pro year out of 5 seasons that he was not injured. Both were quality starters on a Super Bowl team. Not every lofty draft choice is going to be a HOF'er. I'm hoping Raji is not done in GB but there's word that New England wants him (what does that Belechik guy know?)

Here we go again....

Agreed on Hawk. Did not live up to expectations, but not a bust.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk isnt a bust.

I hope the Vikings sign him and put him in coverage, I dont care if he knows the playbook, cause I know he cant make the plays.

D

Deleted member 6794

Raji's was named only to the PFWA's All-Pro team in 2010. His Pro Bowl berth in 2011 was a joke and further explains why I don't care about it.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I find this attacking Hawk disgusting. He served us well and showed respect to the organisation and fans. I know we all want the best for the Packers, but we can`t wish him well for the future ??? Jeez !!

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other than dependability I never understood the attraction of Hawk. He was a huge liability in pass coverage. He was just a terrible blitzer.

As for the running game, while he certainly seemed to understand the D and his assignment, in his 9 years I remember almost no big stops where he kept a runner short of a first. Indeed, he was notorious for making tackles well past the line of scrimmage and never, ever making an impactful hit.

At his best AJ was mediocre, however he was often far below mediocre even though he was paid quite handsomely.

Time to move on was a couple of years ago. If he is on the roster next year, the Pack is likely in real trouble at inside linebacker.
At this point in time they are in trouble at ILB.
Even if they draft 2 of the top 3 ILB"s available in the draft, they are still in trouble IMHO.
Not only is there a starter quality problem, there is a depth problem that Ted is going to have a hard time solving.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My best guess is.... it seems like when the Packers Cut the Cheese......the Vikings like to inhale it.......Hawk is a Viking next season.

D

Deleted member 6794

At this point in time they are in trouble at ILB.
Even if they draft 2 of the top 3 ILB"s available in the draft, they are still in trouble IMHO.
Not only is there a starter quality problem, there is a depth problem that Ted is going to have a hard time solving.

I expect Thompson to bring in a veteran for the position as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree.
He pretty much has to but I don't expect he will be able to pull a quality starter out of the scrap heap.
Re-enter A.J. Hawk.

There aren´t a lot of quality free agents at the ILB position available but several of them would be an upgrade over Hawk.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vet minimum...used only in a situational role type play (run plays only) I see him worth something. However, I fully suspect Ted to add more LBs and I'd rather have hungry youths than Hawk.

D

Deleted member 6794

Vet minimum...used only in a situational role type play (run plays only) I see him worth something. However, I fully suspect Ted to add more LBs and I'd rather have hungry youths than Hawk.

Even if Hawk pays the Packers some bucks to get a roster spot I don´t want to see him with the team next season. He doesn´t possess the atheltic ability to play in the NFL anymore and while I don´t bear any animosity vs. him because he gave the Packers everything he had over nine seasons there´s absolutely no reason to bring him back.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk is garbage no way we should have him on the team again. It's all about Bruce carter 5 int last season would solve our coverage backer problem. As well as be an upgrade over hawk against the run as carter is very athletic

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk is garbage no way we should have him on the team again. It's all about Bruce carter 5 int last season would solve our coverage backer problem. As well as be an upgrade over hawk against the run as carter is very athletic

I am a fan of him as well but wonder what he'd garner money wise. Perhaps TT and them will feel they can get one or two ILBs in the draft instead.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Stephone Anthony is the target in the draft, 2nd maybe 3rd round. Wouldn't mind seeing us trade out of first to high 2nd. Between carter Barrington and Anthony I think we'd be set at ILB and matthews could stay outside for the most part.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Stephone Anthony is the target in the draft, 2nd maybe 3rd round. Wouldn't mind seeing us trade out of first to high 2nd. Between carter Barrington and Anthony I think we'd be set at ILB and matthews could stay outside for the most part.

I too love the idea of trading back to high 2nd plus pick up another pick later or next year. Only way I'd say don't do that is if an absolutely steal drops to us that TT and staff have in their top 10 or 15 overall and he's still there come our pick...then I think you take him no matter position.

Members online

Latest posts