Retiring Favre's #4

mcoomer146

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they start playing 18 games, there is no record safe, and 5000 yard passers and 2000 yard rushers will be a dime a dozen.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don’t believe idol worship is an admirable trait because it doesn’t yield to facts or logic. In fact, I can’t think of any advantage of it and IMO it is detrimental, particularly for adults. But of course everyone is free to be a Favre fan.

I don’t think a move to 18 games is likely for this upcoming CBA and if it happens I don’t think it makes much of a difference to “greatest QB” discussions in the future because such discussions are – or IMO should be - based upon career achievements. That’s why I think regarding stats, yards per passing attempt, TD and INT percentage are more important for this discussion.

Maybe active QBs should be left out until they retire. For example, what if Peyton Manning wins two more championships but doesn’t eclipse Favre’s passing yardage and/or TD records?

I think it’s interesting how championships factor into this discussion. Some think Marino’s lack of a title keeps him out of the top 10 while others wonder why Bradshaw appears on anyone’s list in spite of his 4 titles. Because football is such a team game I don’t think titles won is definitive either way. How QBs played in big games is much more meaningful to me. Since I don’t believe Bradshaw put his championship teams on his back or Marino’s play was responsible for Miami’s Super Bowl loss or absence from other title games, Bradshaw’s titles and Marino’s lack thereof don’t matter much to me.

Of course he doesn't belong in this discussion yet but I can't help but mention Aaron Rodgers has enough pass attempts to qualify for best career regular season passer rating and best career playoff passer rating and he is at the top of the all time lists for both. As a Packers fan who views Favre as a traitor, I could not have asked for a better successor, both on and off the field.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I find it funny how Packer fans remember history. Longwell was never offered a contract with the Packers. Ted didn't want to pay a kicker big bucks. BTW, he wasn't drafted by the Packers either. And as to the article, Favre didn't "sign" with the Jets, he was traded.

It was reported at the time, Ted offered Adam Vinatieri same if not more money than Longwell got with the Viks

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was reported at the time, Ted offered Adam Vinatieri same if not more money than Longwell got with the Viks

Adam Vinatiera visited Green Bay after the 2005 season and left Green Bay with out a contract offer.

However when Colts offered Adam Vinatieri a 5 year contract with $3.5 reporting bonus. he immediately signed the contract on March 22, 2006. Later Vinatieri said he never regretted not giving the Patriots chance to counter the Colts offer..

At the time the Viking gave a contract offer to Longwell, He accepted the Viking offer and Longwell's agent never got back to give the Packers a chance to counter the Viking's offer.

After 9 years with the Green Bay Packers Longwell wanted to kick in a dome or in a warm climate, instead kicking in Lambeau Field during and windy winter weather in Green Bay . Doing this Longwell would prolong his kicking career in the NFL by kicking in a Dome stadium. Longwell kicked for Vikings for another 6 years .

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Adam Vinatiera visited Green Bay after the 2005 season and left Green Bay with out a contract offer.

However when Colts offered Adam Vinatieri a 5 year contract with $3.5 reporting bonus. he immediately signed the contract on March 22, 2006. Later Vinatieri said he never regretted not giving the Patriots chance to counter the Colts offer..

At the time the Viking gave a contract offer to Longwell, He accepted the Viking offer and Longwell's agent never got back to give the Packers a chance to counter the Viking's offer.

After 9 years with the Green Bay Packers Longwell wanted to kick in a dome or in a warm climate, instead kicking in Lambeau Field during and windy winter weather in Green Bay . Doing this Longwell would prolong his kicking career in the NFL by kicking in a Dome stadium. Longwell kicked for Vikings for another 6 years .

That is why I said "rumored", it wasnt widely reported..I dont post things unless I am very confident it is true.

The Packers appeared to be front-runners for Vinatieri and were prepared to make him the highest-paid kicker after allowing their own free agent, Ryan Longwell, to sign a four-year, $8 million deal with a $3 million bonus with the Vikings.

But the Packers never got a chance to match or trump Indianapolis's offer,.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba.../22/kick_in_the_teeth_for_patriots/?page=full

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As someone pointed out...

He told the JETS he retired, and Rex is on record saying that he knew Brett wanted to go to Minny and stick it to Ted...

So that wasnt for the "love" of the game in my view...Going to Minny was to stick it to Ted...Clearly a selfish reason

Yep... I honestly don't understand how brent fanatics can't see it. The further brent got into his career, the more he became a walking caricature of himself. His awe shucks good ole boy routine just became nauseatingly fake. He's a POS.

Members online

Latest posts