Retiring Favre's #4

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
He won a Super Bowl for the Packers! On the field, it didn't get any better. Remember him in the Sterling Sharpe days? Man were they fun to watch. How about the Antonio Freeman days? They will most certainly retire his number in the near future.

WHAT??? There is no "Brett Favre" in "TEAM". He could be the greatest passer in the world but if there's nobody on the recieving end, it's for naught. Not to mention Edgar Bennett, Dorsey Levens, and the previously mentioned Sharp & Freeman. What about the offensive line? BF didn't win the Super Bowl for the Packers. The Packers won the Super Bowl and Brett Favre was nothing more than a contributor. IMHO. Sorry for jumping on you but that's a sore spot with me.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
WHAT??? There is no "Brett Favre" in "TEAM". He could be the greatest passer in the world but if there's nobody on the recieving end, it's for naught. Not to mention Edgar Bennett, Dorsey Levens, and the previously mentioned Sharp & Freeman. What about the offensive line? BF didn't win the Super Bowl for the Packers. The Packers won the Super Bowl and Brett Favre was nothing more than a contributor. IMHO. Sorry for jumping on you but that's a sore spot with me.

You go girl! I am right there with you. One of my favorite words is T-E-A-M and if I have said it once, I have said it 100 times on this forum -- individuals don't win championships, teams do. Brett Favre was fortunate to be a PART of a TEAM that won the Super Bowl.
It was't Aaron Rodgers that won Super Bowl XLV, it was the 2011 Green Bay Packers -- All of them.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Favre didn't play for stats, he didn't play for money. He played because he loved the game and everything else was extra.
That's certainly the myth. Please explain how Favre’s lie to the NY Jets and move to the Packers’ hated rival fits the myth. If his primary motivation is love for the game, why didn’t he stay in New York? He could have played the game he loves there, right? And if the money doesn’t mean anything to him, why did it take an extra $3M to come back to the vikings last season?

What do you do when the facts don’t fit the myth?

mcoomer146

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's certainly the myth. Please explain how Favre’s lie to the NY Jets and move to the Packers’ hated rival fits the myth. If his primary motivation is love for the game, why didn’t he stay in New York? He could have played the game he loves there, right? And if the money doesn’t mean anything to him, why did it take an extra $3M to come back to the vikings last season?

I don't know, I wasn't in his head that day. Even with you being perfect with great character, didn't you ever feel like you got shafted before?

mcoomer146

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes it was a replay of a 49er SB he was watching game day morning or day before..Montana did the "razor" audible

Every documentary about Favre tells that story. It was awesome. I knew they were going to win after that play and it was only the second of the game.
:chisux: :elf:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Favre didn't play for stats, he didn't play for money. He played because he loved the game and everything else was extra.
:chisux: :elf:

As someone pointed out...

He told the JETS he retired, and Rex is on record saying that he knew Brett wanted to go to Minny and stick it to Ted...

So that wasnt for the "love" of the game in my view...Going to Minny was to stick it to Ted...Clearly a selfish reason

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

FYI the extra money went to charity, thats a fact

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know, I wasn't in his head that day. Even with you being perfect with great character, didn't you ever feel like you got shafted before?

Yup we all have been shafted before..And Brett has the right or the right to feel shafted and get revenge..

But why lie??

New York Jets quarterback Favre: 'It's time to leave' - ESPN

"I have family and friends who are like, 'All right, Brett. Is this the real deal?" Favre said during a conference call. "To me, it is. It is. Believe me. .

Ok then he "changed his mind" but from the statement of Rex Rex Ryan Claims Jets Would Have Beaten Packers | Football News Now
but he said he was retiring, and I could just feel that he didn’t want to play here again. It was obvious he wanted to play for Minnesota so that he could try to get his revenge on Green Bay. . . . Favre wanted to stick it to Green Bay. I get it.”

A logical conclusion is that Brett knew all along he was going to Minny, and "retired" from the Jets to get to Minny..Thats not love for the game

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it was just about winning he could have stayed with the Jets. even Favre was better than a rookie sanchez

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
..Thats not love for the game

I agree...Its not been about the "Love of the game" since at least 2007.. Since then its been for the love of...the spotlight, attention, and revenge. But NOT about the love of the game.
I get mad just thinking about that saying...:Arrgghh:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I never claimed to be perfect. I just presented you with facts that contradict what you posted about Favre. You are posting as if Favre were perfect and has a great character: "Favre didn't play for stats, he didn't play for money. He played because he loved the game..."

I guess the answer to what you do when the facts don't fit the myth is attack the person who pointed that out. Like I said I’m not perfect but when I discover facts that contradict an opinion I hold, I modify or change that opinion. I would humbly suggest you do the same. Of course money is important to Favre, just like the vast majority of us. And of course stats are important to him. Nothing wrong with either of those things except they contradict the myth some believe about him.

mcoomer146

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess the answer to what you do when the facts don't fit the myth is attack the person who pointed that out. Like I said I’m not perfect but when I discover facts that contradict an opinion I hold, I modify or change that opinion. I would humbly suggest you do the same. Of course money is important to Favre, just like the vast majority of us. And of course stats are important to him. Nothing wrong with either of those things except they contradict the myth some believe about him.

Never meant to offend you but to me Favre is the greatest QB ever and maybe I am blind but that's how I feel

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never meant to offend you but to me Favre is the greatest QB ever and maybe I am blind but that's how I feel

everyones entitled to their opinion. But if your basing it off of volume stats will Peyton Manning be the best when he passes all the good stats favre has?

Or maybe I should ask your criteria first

mcoomer146

Cheesehead
Reaction score
everyones entitled to their opinion. But if your basing it off of volume stats will Peyton Manning be the best when he passes all the good stats favre has?

Or maybe I should ask your criteria first

I will always love Favre, and yes if Manning breaks all of his records he will be the best ever

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will always love Favre, and yes if Manning breaks all of his records he will be the best ever

Is it all about regular season then? What determinates the best QB ever is how he played on regular season for you? (Given that those records only count regular season).

And if the games are moved to 18 regular seasons and 5 other QBs break his record, will it means that they are better than Favre? Because Favre played in a 16 game regular season, while others such as Starr and Unitas played on 14 game seasons...

mcoomer146

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it all about regular season then? What determinates the best QB ever is how he played on regular season for you? (Given that those records only count regular season).

And if the games are moved to 18 regular seasons and 5 other QBs break his record, will it means that they are better than Favre? Because Favre played in a 16 game regular season, while others such as Starr and Unitas played on 14 game seasons...

Your right

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So is your top 10

Favre
Marino
Manning
Tarkenton
Elway
Moon
Unitas
Testaverde
Montana
Dave Krieg?

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score

OMG!!! That will open a whole new can of worms (or stats as the case may be) My head already hurts thinking about how that will be analyzed and analyzed again. LOL
As far as mcoomer146, you are loyal to your idol which is an admirable trait. Unfortunately, you are a minority on this forum (correct me if I'm wrong), in your love for BF so you can expect to be challenged in your devotion. I personally think you are naive in your thinking when it comes to BF however, I am really happy you are a Packers fan.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts