Retiring Favre's #4

mcoomer146

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you admit Favre doesn't have principles?

No one is perfect and for turning your back on someone that thought he was ready to retire, then changed his mind is characterless. When Favre decided to come back, and play for the Jets, I was happy I would get to see him play again. When he decided to come back and play for the Vikings, I was happy I would get to see him play again. And when I found out that the Vikings would be in Washington this last year, I found tickets to the game because I knew it would be the last time I would get to see him play in person.
I understand the team concept but you cannot turn your back on someone that brought the team out of the shadows, made them a champion, and turn the entire franchise around.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I understand the team concept but you cannot turn your back on someone that brought the team out of the shadows, made them a champion, and turn the entire franchise around.

He did not single handily bring us back...He had a lot of help...But you say you understand team concept? I think those defenses in the 90's deserve a ton of acknowledgement...

What about Holmgren? He wanted to bench Brett for Burnell, but decided not to...

What about Reggie? That game in GB vs Denver he had two sacks in a row to save the game?

Anyways...This is a long story so please bare with me...

I have said it for years...Just because he won mvps and one SB doesnt mean people HAVE to forgive everything he did..

It is very apparent that the majority of fans arent giving him a free pass anymore....

Just go back and look at the playoffs from 02... 16 interceptions in 7 games...And two times tossed ints in over time..

Here is my "theory" cuz this is how I feel and I think lot of fans feel the same..

99% of fans loved him and would forgive anything and everything, we always found fault with everyone for losses, never blamed Brett...I did it many many times..

Then we started to lose games we should have won because Brett tossed an int at the wrong time..We knew in our head if he didnt toss the int in a certain game, we prob would have won..But our hearts would not allow us to blame him..

Then those int started to get to many and always at wrong time..We wanted to really blame him, but still couldnt and wondered how could we blame him with out looking like we are bashing him..

After the Giants over time loss, most of us just have had it with how Brett was losing games, and we wanted it to stop....But we didnt want to bash him, cuz we were afraid of how we would look..After all this is one of the if not the best q.b ever...How do we blame him w/o looking like *****...

He then retires, most were sad and couldnt believe it..But that was the right time to move on for the fans and see what Rodgers could do..We wanted a fresh start, cuz we just couldnt stand a int to lose the game anymore..This was the perfect way for the fans to get what we wanted..

Brett then goes on tv and bashed Ted (and IMO and others) lied about things...Or at least didnt tell entire truth..We saw through it...We started to think, wow what is he doing?

We then seen that Rodgers could play and be q/b, then the 2nd season we really knew Rodgers was very good..And saw he took care of the ball and wouldnt just throw it in the wrong spot as often as Brett..Maybe took to many sacks but at least wasnt tossing ints.

Then seen the things Brett was saying about revenge and sticking it to Ted....Like it or not sticking it to Ted is indirectly sticking it to us..

Then Brett has to say to Peppers go beat GB..Yeah well, for him to say that just showed he still had hatred for Ted and again that is indirectly tied to the fans.

Sorry that most of us can not forgive the things he said and done in last 3 years...Winning one SB 13 years ago does not give him a free pass..

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Without qouting your entire post LT thats it exactly!!

Its been compared to a messy divorce before , because the antics are exactly the same.

Like a bad romance novel/movie, gone astray and having the best ending of all time!

The hero in this senerio is loved by many for so long, only to for the herione to find out that those rose colored glasses finally cleared enough to see that wow,..he's not all that after all.
They part ways,... but the hero decides.."It ain't over till I SAY its over"
*que the crazy *** antics, trying to prove that he is still a hero, but instead proves his just a crazy ***!
She sighs,... realizes that she had made a world revolve too much around one person, and thanks her entire family for supporting her during all the crazy years.
*Enter the cast and the supporting cast that takes the show/ book to the #1 rating! (SB)

*please stay tuned for another intriguing episode of "The Old and the Restless"

LOL!!!

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
LT, I'd like to further emphasize, "He did not single handily bring us back...He had a lot of help...But you say you understand team concept?". Similarly, Aaron Rodgers did not single handedly win the Super Bowl. Brett Favre is a mere man who puts his pants on one leg at a time, just like everyone else. Too many people have glorified him as a saint and I think he believes it himself. I, for one, am reverent to the PACKERS first and to each individual as they contribute to the TEAM.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
With out our defense this year, I dont think we make the playoffs..

Back in the 90's that statement prob would never been uttered...It would have been

With out Brett, I dont think we would have made the playoffs

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes I think we would have been better off with Hasselbeck than Favre in the 2000s.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
No one is perfect and for turning your back on someone that thought he was ready to retire, then changed his mind is characterless.
But there was more to it, than just that, wasn't there? If that's all he had in mind, why not just stay with the Jets? Instead he lied to the Jets telling them he was retiring, knowing full well he was going to the vikings.

When he decided to come back and play for the Vikings, I was happy I would get to see him play again.
You did hear him when he said the reason he did so was to "stick it" to Thompson, didn't you? How do you reconcile this with being a Packers fan? Or, do you consider yourself a Favre fan first as this comment makes you appear?

Everyone has an opinion, and mine is "I will always love the guy!"
Of course you're entitled to your opinion and to feel anyway you like toward him. But to say he turned the franchise around isn't supported by the facts. Bob Harlan was the one to change the organizational structure of the Packers so that one person was in charge of all football operations. IMO that was the key to the turnaround. His hiring of the right man, Ron Wolf, confirmed how correct the change in structure was. Then Wolf hit a homerun with his choice of Holmgren, who put together a staff which has become his "coaching tree" in the league, including Reid, Gruden and others. Of course the trade for Favre was important but remember Holmgren seriously considered switching to Brunell. Wolf also supplied Holmgren with other capable QBs. We will never know but I think it's likely the Packers would have won a title with Mark Brunell as QB. And even some Packers fans forget how good the 1996 Packers defense was. That defense surrendered fewer TDs during the regular season than the more-famous 1985 bear defense and allowed only 12 more regular season points.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Well it will get retired. Sooner or later regardless of what the fans think. As really IMHO, it should be later.

jwmann2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He won a Super Bowl for the Packers! On the field, it didn't get any better. Remember him in the Sterling Sharpe days? Man were they fun to watch. How about the Antonio Freeman days? They will most certainly retire his number in the near future.

V

Vikeman

Eventually, his number will be retired.. He will enter the HOF as a Packer, and The Jets and Viqueens will just be a sad footnote in his history. After all, Jim Taylor played for The Saints. But no one even remembers that and is just a side note in his HOF tribute.

Favre's greatest statistical season was as a Viking...I'm sure it's a footnote he's proud of.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP-Am_IaR8o&feature=player_profilepage"]YouTube - ‪Brett Favre lied about going to another franchise‬&rlm;[/ame]

mcoomer146

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre didn't play for stats, he didn't play for money. He played because he loved the game and everything else was extra.
:chisux: :elf:

Members online

Latest posts