Retiring Favre's #4

BerlinWI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has any Packer worn or been issued uniform number "4", since Favre left Green Bay? (including pre-season and practice/taxi squad?)

thanks!

+RAY+

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eventually, his number will be retired.. He will enter the HOF as a Packer, and The Jets and Viqueens will just be a sad footnote in his history. After all, Jim Taylor played for The Saints. But no one even remembers that and is just a side note in his HOF tribute.

EauClaire_Jetfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would they do it cosidering he went to a divisional rival. Especially since he did it out of spite? I dont know how your front office works but it would be hard to do it anytime soon.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I think they will retire it, but I agree that it probably won't be this management that will.

I heard about 30 years ago someone accidentally assigned someone number 14 but the matter was cleared a few days later, and the jersey was given to Hutson. But I don't think they will do that with the number 4 anytime soon, if anything its taboo.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if for the next, say 10 years, the number 4 is sort of unofficially retired. There'd be no ceremony, Favre's name wouldn't be in the ring, but nobody would be allowed to wear 4. And then after that 10 or so years the ceremony and crap happens to officialize everything.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they will retire it, but I agree that it probably won't be this management that will.

I heard about 30 years ago someone accidentally assigned someone number 14 but the matter was cleared a few days later, and the jersey was given to Hutson. But I don't think they will do that with the number 4 anytime soon, if anything its taboo.

This is from a friends blog so I can't take credit

With the 11th pick in the 1972 NFL Draft, the Packers selected Nebraska QB Jerry Tagge. It could've been a great story; Tagge was a hometown athlete who attended Green Bay West High, sold popcorn at Lambeau Field as a kid, and went off to college in Omaha, where he led Nebraska to back-to-back national titles. Tagge, who was the MVP of the Orange Bowl in '71 and '72, didn't offer exceptional talent, but played well under pressure in college and appeared to be an efficient field general.

Tagge sat on the bench in 1972 and watched Scott Hunter lead the team to it's first division title since the departure of Lombardi. The next year head coach Dan Devine created a chaotic atmosphere around the postion, shuffling Hunter, Tagge and Jim Del Gaizo at quarterback.

With the advent of the horrendous John Hadl trade, Tagge was cut during the 1975 preseason by rookie head coach Bart Starr. Despite not panning out in the NFL, Tagge played with San Antonio of the World Football League in 1976, and found success with the British Columbia Lions of the Canadian Football League from 1977-79. He took the Lions to the playoffs two of his three years there, and was MVP of the Western Division in 1979, before suffering a career-ending knee injury just as the Lions were entering the postseason.

Upon joining the team for spring training camp in '72, Dan Devine issued Tagge his familiar number 14, which he wore during his successful tenure at Nebraska. Eventually, someone caught the mistake and told Devine: The team had retired number 14 in honor of Don Hutson in 1951.

Fortunately, Devine's blunder was discovered before the beginning of the preseason, and Tagge was then given # 17, his old high school number.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Brohm wore #10 I think, but Jess could be right it might of been 11. Either way no1 is, has, or will wear #4 for a while

Majik

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously, who'd even want to wear that number if they came to Green Bay? He'd be loved by half the fans for slapping Brett in the face, but he'd be hated by the other half for the same reason.

#4 WILL be retired in Green Bay. The only question is, "when?" Remember, they did have the ceremony scheduled until Favre changed his mind the first time.

Members online

Latest posts