Retire #80?

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I always hate to think about any of the current players retiring.
IMO it's too soon to bring up subjects like retiring numbers and stuff.
Why can't we wait until he is actually done and then discuss it?
To me this is like discussing a relatives death and what your going to get in the will when they are like 35 and in good health.

I couldn't have said it better myself!!! way too early!.... for the love!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah... I have to be honest. Driver is not only a fantastic football player, but a good man as well. Still and the same, I saw James Lofton play. If you held up a #80 Packers jersey with no name on the back and asked me to name the player... I'd immediately think of James Lofton - who was also a good man as well as a Hall of Famer.
If Lofton ends his career here Driver never wears 80.

But Driver's longevity and his reciprocal identification with the Packers will merit a LONG look, moreso if he wins another SB.

The problem with Driver is that he's been very good for very long, but he has never been the top receiver in the league at a given time. In the end, I don't even know if he gets into the HoF (though his case is very peculiar, IMHO he has a better chance of getting his number retired than getting into the HoF). He'll forever be regarded as a great Packer, though.

For what's worth, Driver is Wisconsin royalty forever.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Donald IS deserving of an honor like that, but you can't take away that number.
Lofton's wasn't retired.... even #88 for the Cowboys, Drew Pearson and then Michael Irvin, was not retired.

I already hate the fact that so many WRs nowadays are wearing the #1_ numbers!
Blame the slash guys...

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
ROTFLMAO!!! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
I hope you understand what Ivo meant about 2nd best WR, Blue and Gold #14 is the best.

I think the Packers should name something special after DD, like a training center or charity or come up with an award for him. I think most of us recognize him for his greatness on and off the field, and because he is so great off the field our judgement gets clouded.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching Donald in today's game I would be flabbergasted if he retired after this season.
From what I saw the man is still at peak performance. He still has it.
So why the heck is there even an inkling thought of him retiring?
And hasn't he said that he could go to another team if Green Bay cuts him?

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
We should be having this conversation about Woodson, not Driver.
I agree, though I think Woodson getting a short speech on a SB ring is pretty dang good, though yeah I could see the Packers doing something special for Woodson.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
DOES it have to be either or!?!?! man..... i hate thinking that any of my guys getting short changed... :(

my hearts still breaking for Al Harris getting hurt again...to me he'll always be a Packer!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DOES it have to be either or!?!?! man..... i hate thinking that any of my guys getting short changed... :(

my hearts still breaking for Al Harris getting hurt again...to me he'll always be a Packer!

Not either or, just that DD has no shot. Woodson has an outside chance I guess

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
*POP* ... bursting my bubble... *blinky smiley here*.

for someone who isn't into stats... just loving a player I guess just doesn't cut it!!! :p

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
All game... ALL GAME.. as my hubby can attest...I screamed..."throw it to DRIVER!!!!"

I'm pretty sure I say that every game/play though!!! ...... I really , REALLY do love how Aaron throws to such a variety..
my goodness... We are VERY fortunate to have him as our QB!

Members online

Latest posts