Retire #80?

Marem19

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if this thread was created before but i would like to ask the question.

When Donald call it quits should his number be retired ? I think so i think he has a special place in this organization he has always been a hard worker and class act so i say retire Double D's number

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
No, they won't retire his number. He is a special player but you can't retire everyone's number. Just think of how much pressure it will put on the next young player to wear number 80 to live up to the legend.

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have all the respect for Donald Driver and he's one of my favorite players ever. But during the preseason we were so low on numbers that we were forced to have one receiver wear #9. The NFL generally discourages retiring of numbers, so I think his number won't end up retired.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally don't like retiring of any numbers unless under special circumstances (accidental death, murder, etc..). The packers said they would retire #4 and I think thats going to be it for a long time until they retire #12.

Reaction score
If we retired every great player that has ever played for us, we would not have any numbers left. The great thing about the Packers organization is that the next person wearing #80 will step up in his shoes and become another great player.

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He reallllly deserves it though. Greatest WR in Packers history, numbers wise... Also I think Rodgers number will be retired one day.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always hate to think about any of the current players retiring.
IMO it's too soon to bring up subjects like retiring numbers and stuff.
Why can't we wait until he is actually done and then discuss it?
To me this is like discussing a relatives death and what your going to get in the will when they are like 35 and in good health.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
If they were going to retire #80 I think they should have done it for James Lofton. No disrespect intended at all to Driver he's been a great receiver for us for a long time and has put up some great numbers even surpassing Lofton. But I think Lofton was very special receiver and during his time, possibly the best receiver in the league and was one of the first true track star, speedy deep threat receivers. Unfortunately for him, he played for us when we weren't a very dominant football team.

When it comes to retiring number it either has to be truly special player that was considered the best at his position for more than just a season or two.

Or a case of a guy like Pat Tillman who passed away

Driver may get the nod for the numbers he put up, how long he played and ultimately the fact that he was part of a championship football team

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to agree with not retiring Donald's #80. Only because there are only so many numbers you can give a WR. He is very much deserving of having his number retired, but we all know that #80 will forever be Donald, just like #4 will forever be Favre and #92 will always be Reggie. I am positive he will land in the Packers HOF and more than likely get a trip to Canton.

Also, is it just me or does seeing WR's in the teen numbers just irk you? I know that in Randal Cobb's case they were totally out of numbers from 80-89 so it doesn't bother me too much. Other teams, like the Texans that have a slew of numbers to chose from just give a WR #12 and call it good. I HATE that. Miles Austin in Dallas as #19, come on. I think we all know that QB's #s go from 1-19, RB from 20-49, O-line 60-79, and WR from 80-89. Defense is kinda lucky in that any number from 20-99 is up for grabs but typically LB 50-59, D-line 71-99, and DBs 20-49.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Nah... I have to be honest. Driver is not only a fantastic football player, but a good man as well. Still and the same, I saw James Lofton play. If you held up a #80 Packers jersey with no name on the back and asked me to name the player... I'd immediately think of James Lofton - who was also a good man as well as a Hall of Famer.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I like retiring numbers.

I think it should be done for certain players, especially ones that leave a land mark on a team.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all for retiring numbers also, but you have to be very, very selective.
#80 won't be retired, though. I kind of thought there might be a slim chance they would've retired Butler's #36 after he had to call it quits. No disrespect toward Nick Collins, who I think is tremendous, but LeRoy Butler still registers in my mind everytime I see #36.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
If we retired every great Packer player's number, we would have to start using triple digit numbers. All the respect in the world for Donald, but we need the number.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah... I have to be honest. Driver is not only a fantastic football player, but a good man as well. Still and the same, I saw James Lofton play. If you held up a #80 Packers jersey with no name on the back and asked me to name the player... I'd immediately think of James Lofton - who was also a good man as well as a Hall of Famer.

Didn't lofton get run out of town after some ****** assault issues?

Then again I have always gotten along with the guy when I have been around him.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Yes, Lofton and Eddie Lee Ivory were accused of ****** assault in ’84 and Lofton was again in ’86, which led to his departure from Green Bay. Regarding Driver, I love him but don’t think he’s the best WR in Packers history – both Hutson and Lofton leap to mind as being better IMO. And frankly I don’t think he’ll be elected to the Pro Football HOF – hope I’m pleasantly surprised though. If he doesn’t, does it make sense to retire the number of a Packer who didn’t make the HOF?

It would be the first number in the 80s retired if they do it. IMO the next number that should be retired is #1, to honor Curly Lambeau without whom…

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Didn't lofton get run out of town after some ****** assault issues?

Then again I have always gotten along with the guy when I have been around him.

The first claim involved Lofton and Ivery at a Milwaukee strip club and a stripper. The second was a LOT different. Yeah, essentially he did get the bum's rush. I don't remember if it was at the Top Shelf or Jungle Fever. Two women known for pursuing Packers players, made the ride down to Green Bay from the U.P. and worked their magic...in the stairwell. One of the ladies husband's found out about it and the lil missus then claimed ****** assault. Times were different in Green Bay 30 years ago...very different. Still, James was always the consummate gentleman, a nice guy with an easy personality and an easier smile. Extremely intelligent too. I always felt that once this woman's claim was made ... there was no need for a jury.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's right: Driver has no shot at getting elected to Canton. These days there are just way too many receivers that have put up astronomical numbers. Irrespective of some sort of tragedy befalling a significant player while still active, I'm pretty sure they won't retire a number of a player who isn't considered one of the all-time greats at his position.
I'd also put Sharpe ahead of Driver, if forced to rank according to ability and dominance at the position...

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Are we looking at Driver,Grant and Clifton's last year as Packers?

I think this will be Drivers last season whether we make it to a SB or not.

I think Grant could end up being released. Starks is really showing him up and pending Alex Green comes back healthy next year and ready, I could see Grant not being a Packer.

Is there anyway Jennings could end up being the greatest packers WR ever when it's all said and done??

Greatest ever, hard to say. He's on his way right now. He'll be in the Packers HOF though, along with Driver.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
That's right: Driver has no shot at getting elected to Canton.

I hate to say it, but this is true. When you think of a hall of famer, you think about a player that was considered to be the best in the league and their given position for an extended period of time.

I'm not sure a whole lot of people outside of Packers fans know who Driver is

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Donald IS deserving of an honor like that, but you can't take away that number.
Lofton's wasn't retired.... even #88 for the Cowboys, Drew Pearson and then Michael Irvin, was not retired.

I already hate the fact that so many WRs nowadays are wearing the #1_ numbers!

Members online

Latest posts