Restrictions on new members

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
I am all for setting some boundaries on brand new members. It seems 50% of new members are trolls or spammers. I would suggest either not allowing a new member to post till 24 hours has passed (as a member) or cannot create new threads till they have reached a certain number of posts. Anyone agree or disagree? Suggestions?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I am all for setting some boundaries on brand new members. It seems 50% of new members are trolls or spammers. I would suggest either not allowing a new member to post till 24 hours has passed (as a member) or cannot create new threads till they have reached a certain number of posts. Anyone agree or disagree? Suggestions?
With the previous system, there was some type of delay for posting websites. I kind of agree with the new thread delay now. It would stop the drive-by spamming and also force newbies to realize their new thread has already probably been debated ad nauseam already if they'd just look past the top page of threads.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If they are so bad posts should be reported, but we havent had to many reported?

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I think it should happen.

if the Giants win, it's going to be even worse. All these trashy new yorkers coming here just to talk ****, I hope if we win they all leave.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it should happen.

if the Giants win, it's going to be even worse. All these trashy new yorkers coming here just to talk ****, I hope if we win they all leave.

Again, report the posts..

We can't do anything if we arent aware

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over on the Colts forum you have to post I believe 10-15 times before starting a thread. Also they only allow u to post 5 at 1 time. It takes about 24-48 hrs before being able to start a thread

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

I am glad to know that these things occur. Are there any guidlines for spotting a troll ? Perhaps Vltrophy is on the right track. Maybe do like skiers, start them in the bunny thread area. Then promote loyal cheeseheads to probationary statis on a next level. Then after an appropreate time they may rise to be a cheesehead. How long this may take would be up to management. The trolls would get frustrated and go away. While true blues would stick it out if they understood why the system was so.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Ill stick my oar in, you will never stop all the trolls and spammers but at least lets discourage them. I think as others have said, new members should start from scratch and not have everything. They could earn by posting, ie newbie status and upwards towards Cheesehead. Default avatar no picture posting until a certain amount of real posts in the website have been made. This could also be explained when they sign up.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am toying around with this idea of making it 5-10 posts before you can do a few things. Right now we only restrict the shout box, but I am totally for restricting new threads.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
As LTF said, report the post so we are aware of it or we can't do anything about it unless we see it first. I am also all for delaying new members from doing certain things but you also have to realize you will only delay the inevitable if the person has intentions of mischief or spamming they will simply wait it out. Hence, as LTF suggested, report.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I suppose it goes without saying, the best way to discourage trolls is not to be the goat who feeds them.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thread needs more exposure ! :coffee:[/quoteIt

Are any of you familiar with the old AOL Pro Football Message Boards that were shut down this last winter for good.
We had to deal with some very ferocious and uncivilized posters but at least it was a free environment and we let nature take its course. The wise and logical eventually won out and it made for great discussion. Some members got booted out as many as six or seven times having to change their board name each instance.
It was fun going head to head with Viking and Bear fans. Sometimes there was more controversy among Packer posters than among the opposing ones.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Trolls should be hung by their thumbs, horse whipped, have their bones broken one at a time, their ears cut off, branded, have their fingers cut off, and then be placed on the rack, Then they should be tortured !!! :devilish:

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All done inside a minute or two.

Yes, but it is easy to locate all posts made by a user and make an assessment if they gamed the system just to post a thread. But, the enhancement will not be perfect it will force people to join in on threads before making a completely new one.

It has not been implemented yet, but it did help the shout box. Or at least that is what I am going with, lol. :p

Members online

Latest posts