Resign one of the 3?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have enough $ after we pay our draft picks to resign one of these 3 players: shields, jones, raji.

Should we resign one? None? Carry the cap over til next season and use it then?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raji and shields. Jones is least important. I realize you say just one, but I would work to get both of those guys, even if I had to cut Williams or someone else.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields and Raji I'm just not sure on...Raji could get loads of money on the open market but I just see it being very difficult to get that deal done. He probably wants to get paid as an elite NT, I can't see the Packers wanting to pay him as such because he's not. Shields I would think it would be a bit easier to come to a number both sides can agree on. With both players though, in a perfect world it would be great to see how they look this year cause I'm not sure how good either player is. They are both good, but how good? Then they're more expensive though. This stuff isn't easy that's for sure.

Jones I hate to say but I think he's expendable, unless he's willing to sign again for cheap.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields for sure. Would like to keep Jones if possible.

Raji depends on the price. He's not a must-keep and I don't think they view him as such or they would've already been engaging in talks like they did with Rodgers and Matthews. There's plenty of fat NT's that can clog up the middle, it's not worth $10M a year for someone to do that.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Raji has the same agent as Rodgers and Matthews. He's going to get done. As for the others? I'd like to keep them of course. But Raji will get done, bank on it.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields and Raji. If we let Raji walk we'd have to replace him, and we don't have anyone on the roster who can right now.

This year will tell us a lot about Jones. If he has a stellar year then yes.

All depends on salaries of course, but I don't see any one of the 3 commanding that much unless they have a pro-bowl year.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy.

It still amazes me how little respect he gets from some Packer fans.
All those names, players there, are big names..... except Decker & Thomas really, but they are great and are Manning's guys.
James Jones is great, and with the loss of Jennings, he's more important than ever.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raji has the same agent as Rodgers and Matthews. He's going to get done. As for the others? I'd like to keep them of course. But Raji will get done, bank on it.

Their agency has over 150 clients. It might help, but it doesn't make it a slam dunk.

I think they would prefer to re-sign him, but I think they will be a lot more sensitive on price than they were with Rodgers and Matthews. Raji simply isn't consistent enough to give him Ngata level money just to avoid the inconvenience of having to draft/sign a replacement. I could easily see Raji being a guy that the organization and agent are far apart on his perceived value.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Jones will probably cost the most out of the three, considering he's already taken a shot at FA once. Therefore my vote goes to the other two and saving money. It's a business, it's just that simple. Shields is a world class athlete with good instincts, Raji has the most disruptive feet on our DL, Jones gets the best separation of our WR. Pick what's most replaceable and Shields is odd man out.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones will probably cost the most out of the three, considering he's already taken a shot at FA once. Therefore my vote goes to the other two and saving money. It's a business, it's just that simple. Shields is a world class athlete with good instincts, Raji has the most disruptive feet on our DL, Jones gets the best separation of our WR. Pick what's most replaceable and Shields is odd man out.

I'm not sure i agree on jones. I think he might find another soft market next year for him. Raji IMO will be the most expensive bc of the position.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I'm not sure i agree on jones. I think he might find another soft market next year for him. Raji IMO will be the most expensive bc of the position.
If Jones picks up where he left off next season I completely disagree. We're looking at 7.5-9 on Raji, and 8-9.5 on Jones IMO

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Jones picks up where he left off next season I completely disagree. We're looking at 7.5-9 on Raji, and 8-9.5 on Jones IMO

You think he is getting Brandon Marshall $ ?!? I can't see that happening. I don't see him as a #1 WR. I see a complimentary WR.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO: Raji will cost more than Jones, Jones does not get the best separation of the Packers WRs, and because of Thompson's success drafting WRs, Jones is the most replaceable.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Their agency has over 150 clients. It might help, but it doesn't make it a slam dunk.

I think they would prefer to re-sign him, but I think they will be a lot more sensitive on price than they were with Rodgers and Matthews. Raji simply isn't consistent enough to give him Ngata level money just to avoid the inconvenience of having to draft/sign a replacement. I could easily see Raji being a guy that the organization and agent are far apart on his perceived value.
OK, but you have to consider how many snaps Raji has taken over the years. He's consistently healthy and he's an important cog in the DL gear. I don't know how you think he's inconsistent but okay. Either way, he's an important element and they don't have anybody even near his play to replace him. Push in the fact the Pickett might be gone and that's alot of money to add to the contract and I'm convinced Raji will be resigned.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, but you have to consider how many snaps Raji has taken over the years. He's consistently healthy and he's an important cog in the DL gear. I don't know how you think he's inconsistent but okay. Either way, he's an important element and they don't have anybody even near his play to replace him. Push in the fact the Pickett might be gone and that's alot of money to add to the contract and I'm convinced Raji will be resigned.

He has been inconsistent though. Rookie year was slow. 2010 was great. Regressed quickly in 2011. Solid in 2012. He is either pro bowl level or you forget he is on the field.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You don't know how I think he's inconsistent? Some games he will be dominant (Vikings playoff game). Other games he will just not show up at all (49er playoff game).

I don't know how that can be denied...its not just those 2 games..it makes me question his motor and work ethic.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO it’s difficult to dispute that Raji takes plays off. McGinn who is tied into a lot of scouts and personnel people around the league has written they believe he ‘picks his spots’; and that agrees with the “eye test” too IMO. To me it’s a question of whether or not it’s due the number of snaps he as to “endure”. What is indisputable IMO is he has rare ability for a big man and is therefore, aside from elite QBs, the rarest of NFL players. Raji is 26 and will receive $4.49M this season.

Shields is 25 and a very good cover CB who improved his tackling last season. He’ll play for a $2.02M RFA tender this season.

Jones is 29 and played with more focus last season – by a significant amount IMO – than we’d ever seen previously. He’ll receive $3.15M this season including a roster bonus.

All three are good players the Packers would like to keep but what is the order of their value? I think answering three questions helps figure it out: 1. Which one is most easily replaced on the roster now? 2. What is their likely value in 2015 or 2016 if they’re extended? 3. How confident are you Thompson could draft their replacement?

1. My order of most easily replaced is Jones, Shields, Raji. The Packers are still deep at WR and this season Finley figures into the “WR” mix. Williams, House, and Hayward can be the three starters in the nickel but Shields may be better starting at CB than both Williams and House. There isn’t another Raji on the roster: Someone who can play NT well AND get pressure from NT or DE.

2. My order of likely value in the future is Shields, Raji and Jones. Jones is older by 4 and 3 years respectively. Shields over Raji just because of the number of snaps Raji plays will likely lead to injury or burn out. If that doesn’t happen, Raji over Shields.

3. This one is easy regarding Jones: Look at Thompson’s history drafting WRs. Shields is next based upon Thompson’s record and Raji is far behind: Finding motivated and talented big men is very difficult and I think it’s fair to say Thompson has been burned trying to find DL more than any other position.

So for me the order of value is Raji, Shields, and Jones. Jones is clearly the last of the three I would extend (and I like him a lot). It’s a closer call between the other two. Finding talented big men – particularly those over 320 lbs – is extremely difficult so I would slightly favor Raji. Money-wise I think it would take more to keep Raji and if they’re concerned he’d be even less consistently motivated, I’d understand it if they don’t extend him. Extensions often seem to be based somewhat on a players’ draft position (I think that’s nuts BTW) so the cost of Jones vs. Shields may be close, even though I think Shields is more valuable to the Packers.

Some unknowns that will figure in are: How demanding each will be; how motivated each will be upon signing an extension; and I haven’t looked into the cost of franchising one of them next season if the Packers would consider that option.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields is a must resign. Shields and Heyward are the future starting corners of this team. Shields has very good coverage skills and speed to burn. If House steps up, Williams becomes expendable.

It is way too early to speculate about after the season for a number of reasons:
  • Franchise Tag: What happens if Finley has a monster year and finally because a Jimmy Graham type season? Would the Packers use the tag on Raji if a long-term contract can't be hammered out?
  • Cuts/Salary Reduction: Will this be AJ Hawk's last year? It just seems like Hawk might be on his way out sooner rather than later. Will this be Tramon Williams last year?
  • Reasonable Salary: What is a reasonable salary for James Jones? Jones has never been the main target on a team and didn't get much attention in free agency two years ago.

Members online

Latest posts