1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Resign James Jones?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by GBPack2010, Feb 25, 2011.

1. GBPack2010

GBPack2010 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +67
    If he doesn't overestimate himself and wants to stay for a legitimate chance at repeating as Super Bowl Champions, should we resign him? He made around $500,000 this year. We won the Super Bowl so he'd want a pay raise, we could say sign him 4 yrs anywhere from $4-6 mil is fair. Like some players we can't just determine his worth by statistical "production", he does command a solid Nickel corner(position not many teams have) to cover him or else he'd be open all day. He just REALLY needs to catch the ball when it's thrown to him. I mean he did catch some very important catches during the playoffs to somewhat makeup for his drops. His TD against Eagles and Falcons, 1st down catch in final Super Bowl drive were all essential to our championship run. Let's face the facts as much as I love Driver, he's aging and if Jordy Nelson is elevated to our #2 and Jermichael Finley comes back, our offense is much more potent with a #3 WR. No guarantee a mid round WR(I highly doubt we address WR in first 3 rounds) will be equally successful.

2. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,422
    i mean as long as we pay him like hes a number 3 or 4 wide receiver i dont see why not

• Like Like x 1
  3. ThorMatthews

ThorMatthews Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +77
    They should a lot him a certain number of money to begin with and write into his contract that everytime he drops a catch he loses a small chunk of his overall "allowance".

4. Guacamole

Guacamole Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +93
    they might as well put that in all the receivers contracts and while they are at it......any fumbles, ints, dropped passes, by any player, needs to cough up $25,000 and 10 laps

5. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +609
    Let me just say this... If we don't resign him, I believe it would be one of the worst moves I have seen the Packers make in a long time. Besides from dropping 4 touchdowns late in the season, with DD old, he is better than most other 2nd receivers on other teams. I just might shed a tear. haha:tomato:

6. rawalabhay

rawalabhay Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +32
    I think we let him go, let Jordy/DD share the no. 3/4 duty (since Finley and Jennings will be no. 1/2) and then we draft a WR who can replace JJ!

7. FiercePierce6

FiercePierce6 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    You can't call Finley a "#2". He's a tight end. Sure he'll get #2 type targets but the "#" system talks about wide receivers.

8. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +1,232
    Guacamole: Where DID you get that avatar image? My new fav.

9. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,312
    He'll attract a lot of interest in free agency. Big, fast, has made some unbelievable catches. Most teams will think the drops will stop being a problem. We'll have to give him a big contract to keep him.

10. Aaron rodgers is god

Aaron rodgers is god Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +154
    finley is not going to line up as a receiver every down

11. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    imo he is going to be gone.

why dont you feel we will draft a wr early? check out where jj,jn,gj were drafted. TT has a thing for early round WRs. He almost drafted crabtree as well.

12. rawalabhay

rawalabhay Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +32
    Nobody is asking him for that, but in terms of numbers look at Dallas Clark, Jason Witten, Tony Gonzales and Vernon Davis. They produce numbers like a no.2 wide receiver!

13. Big E

Big E Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +106
    I really like James Jones and I hope we can get him back. Yes, the drops are maddening, but he's got a ton of talent. I don't remember seeing him dropping balls like that in previous years. Maybe this was just an off year for him in that category. I remember him getting hit HARD in a preseason game last year, losing his helmet, and running it in for the touchdown helmetless. That is the kind of player I want on my team. Hopefully he can put the drops behind him and show he's got the skills to be a starter.

14. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +307
    I see things pretty black and white in life.

If you want to get paid as a #2 receiver, play like one.

Stop dropping passes and hang on to the damn ball. Remember the first Bear game?

..and what is this crap about running down the sideline carrying the ball on the "field" side of your body, you still have not learned that. ( I learned it in 7th grade)
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjMAxnLzke4&feature=related]YouTube - James Jones 66 Yard TD Catch (HD) 12/19/10[/ame]

Seems to be a trend, and it bites us in the ***..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8laIhUBfi8&NR=1]YouTube - Fumble Urlacher[/ame]

15. GWheels

GWheels Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +208
    Jones should be paid for what he's worth. Right now that's a #3 receiver. I don't understand the mentality of some players thinking they should get huge raises because we won a Super Bowl. Salaries should be based on your stats and your intangibles. If Jones comes back he needs to prove himself to be worthy of getting paid like a starter.

16. Texpackerfan

Texpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +22
    I think (hope) that JJ drops were just some off year for him (but damn, there were A LOT). I could see GB not picking up JJ again if they get a good receiver in the draft. On second thought, maybe 2 since we don't know if DD will have another injury plague season.

17. bradwillrockyou

bradwillrockyou Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +47
    If we try to resign him, would he drop the pen?

• Like Like x 1
  18. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    The thing about all his drops, he also had a lot of catches, I think #2 on the team.
    What that tells me is he has a great ability to get open a lot.

I hope his price stays down because I want to keep him. He can cot down on the drops. His fumbles piss me off as much as the dropped passes though. Why can't these guys protect the ball like it's a stolen PS3 or something?

19. Future

Future He did WHAT?

Ratings:
    +87
    If James Jones can cut down on half of the drops, he's a great #2 WR. I'm sure Ted has a contract number in mind for Jones and if Jones doesn't like it, then Ted will let him test free agency.

Personally, I'd give him similar to what another poster said; somewhere in the range of 4 years/$22 mill.

20. LAG

LAG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +164
    I'm hoping Jones stays with the team. He seems to make most of his catches on vertical routes. He dropped some passes but made some good catches also. I say give him another year.

21. JoshuaRHuffman

JoshuaRHuffman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    I believe Rodgers can make most receivers look better than they really are. I definitely wouldn't overpay for him, and I think there will be teams who would pay him as a #2. He's our #4 IMO and that doesn't include Finley who'll play in the slot during 4-5 WR formations.

Draft someone (I think that Edmund dude from Albeliene could fit well in the 2nd or 3rd round), Jennings-Nelson-Driver as top 3 with a rookie and Finley playing slot positions.

22. jza80dreams

jza80dreams Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    if james jones leaves, we can probably draft a WR in the common 2nd-3rd round, as for the rest of the WR's. i wanna see if the two practice squad guys can outperform brett swain cause i'm starting to lose my trust in him. Lol.

23. Future

Future He did WHAT?

Ratings:
    +87
    I think some are assuming that a 2nd/3rd round WR will just slide in to replace James Jones. Remember that it takes three years for a lot of these receivers to find their groove. This team is built to win now and James Jones is an integral part of that.

If we can keep him for any reasonable price, we need to.

24. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Define reasonable, in your opinion.

25. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    someone is going to offer him #1 money. Best the packers would want to offer him is a #2.

bonus of getting a young rookie wr, we might have a return man.