Reporter from USA Today-gives Pack rank 28 for draft

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don't know if anybody else see's it but with Ty Montgomery I see a bigger (more physical) and tad slower Percy Harvin with "Stanford Pedigre" and "High Character" qualities. He definitely has Harvin type "Gears".

I think he will not only help the return game but adds another whole dimension to the offense kind of like Harvin did with the Vikings when they had Favre. He can line up in the backfield and also make teams account for the "jet sweep." I think this was an awesome pick and I am excited to see it materialize.

You can rag on his hands all you want. He just needs to be used correctly.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand the Hundley pick either, but maybe they think he'll stick on the PS this year and beat out Tolzien next year? or maybe they think they can work some redzone offense with him? just add a few wrinkles to give people something to think about? But I can't believe they drafted him thinking it would be a good idea to take the ball away from Rodgers in scoring position and let some rookie come in and get cute on offense? I wouldn't if I was the coach, but i guess it's a reason to take him?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't imagine Hundley would make it through PS unclaimed. He's obviously not starting in GB probably ever, so he's a backup and trade chip. Both good things to have.

H

HardRightEdge

Ripkowski played on all special teams, and he is pretty good at it. I think he has a good shot to make the roster as back-up fullback/special teams ace (and gameday 45). Remember, we kept Ryan Taylor on the roster for three and half years as special teams ace, while he rarely played from scrimmage. Ripkowski could have a similar role year 1. Moreover Ripkowski could get some snaps as lead blocker in short yardage situations.

I expect us to keep 5 TE/FB's (might be 4 or 6, but 5 makes sense). R.Rodgers and Quarless are locks. So I expect to keep 3 guys out of Kuhn, Ripkowski, Perillo and Backman.
I consider Kuhn to be a lock to make this roster barring injury.

Sky King

Reaction score
I don't know if anybody else see's it but with Ty Montgomery I see a bigger (more physical) and tad slower Percy Harvin with "Stanford Pedigre" and "High Character" qualities. He definitely has Harvin type "Gears".

I think he will not only help the return game but adds another whole dimension to the offense kind of like Harvin did with the Vikings when they had Favre. He can line up in the backfield and also make teams account for the "jet sweep." I think this was an awesome pick and I am excited to see it materialize.

There's a lot to like.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rip is probably solid enough to play sooner rather than later, but I would think a FB would be safe stashed on the PS for a year until Kuhn rides off into the sunset.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rip is probably solid enough to play sooner rather than later, but I would think a FB would be safe stashed on the PS for a year until Kuhn rides off into the sunset.

You don't draft players with the practice squad in mind. You draft guys for your 53! The practice squad is the back-up plan when they are not good enough for your 53.

Moreover I think Ripkowski can contribute right away on special teams. Therefore I think he has a good shot to make the 53 and the even the gameday 45. Key for him will be to prove that he is a better special teams player than Perillo and Backman.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting, PFF put two of our UDFA's on their UDFA's to like list (10 offensive and 10 defensive players).

Matt Rotheram, G, Green Bay Packers

"One of my favorite players to watch during the 2014 season, Rotheram was a first-team All-American in our eyes as a bullying behemoth in the run game. No guard matched his grade in that respect as he finished with the top score in the nation. So, while he struggled at times in pass pro and doesn’t wow you with his athleticism like the guy who played next to him, his execution and polish present him with a great chance to find a home in the NFL."

James Vaughters, ED, Stanford, Green Bay Packers

"He may have been limited to just 196 pass rushing snaps in 2014, but no 3-4 outside linebacker in this draft class was more productive on a per-snap basis than Stanford’s Vaughters. Six sacks, 11 hits and 21 hurries saw him finish the year with a Pass Rushing Productivity Rating of 15.3. He was no slouch against the run either, with 29 tackles resulting in a defensive stop from 234 snaps of run D giving him the second-highest Run Stop Percentage in this class too, at 12.4%."

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Add an ILB. Check.

First of all the Packers lost three ILBs from last season so only adding a single one doesn´t do enough depth wise. In addition the team was in dire need of a WLB and Jake Ryan doesn´t fit that mould. While I´m fine with everything else Thompson has done over the last two offseason not addressing the position at all is inexplicable.

Montgomery was another surprise for me and if he’s a “bigger Cobb” as scout Sam Seale said, holy crap that was a great pick. One AFC scout was quoted by jsonline saying, “He just has to get with the right coach. He really hasn't improved there. When he was a freshman he played with (Andrew) Luck. You said, 'Wow, this guy is going to be the best receiver they ever had there.' This year the team went in a malaise. He's a mystery guy. If he's there in the third round I'd love to grab him. The one thing I know he can do is return kicks well.” Another scout called him the best returner in the draft, another said he’s a good blocker and a tough guy. Yet another scout said he was too heavy last season – and that’s certainly fixable. He’s probably first in line for the KOR job and he may very well earn snaps from scrimmage depending upon how well and quickly he learns the offense. If he is a dynamic KOR, that shouldn’t be diminished. But he better be contributing on offense by at least his second year.

Add that to other projections about Montgomery that he may have been a first-rounder if not for sub-standard QB play on his team's part, and it only adds to the intrigue.

Montgomery may look like a bigger version of Cobb but he´s not even close to him in talent. He´s great at making yards after getting the ball in his hands but it will be tough to get him the ball in this league as he´s not a polished route runner and has terrible hands. Maybe the Packers could get him the ball on some screens but I don´t expect him to run a lot of intermediate or deep routes.

He will most likely be the Packers primary kickoff returner and should improve this unit immediately but I don´t like spending a third round pick on a guy I don´t expect to make an impact on offense.

Sky King

Reaction score
First of all the Packers lost three ILBs from last season so only adding a single one doesn´t do enough depth wise. In addition the team was in dire need of a WLB and Jake Ryan doesn´t fit that mould. While I´m fine with everything else Thompson has done over the last two offseason not addressing the position at all is inexplicable.

Well, that's one way of looking at it. But there are three contenders in the mix that you may have overlooked. Joey Thomas and Nate Palmer were on IR and Bradford was red-shirted. Quid pro quo. Since most folks around here had little regard for the three that are now gone, and that their loss has been claimed to be addition by subtraction, at worst I would call it a tie. Now, add Ryan to the balance and it is, shall we say, a little more hopeful? But it's not quite accurate to say that he did not address the situation at all. He did. He just didn't load-up at the position, and on that I would fully agree that is a concern.

TT totally ignored the Safety position two years ago and the results were not pretty. He made up for it last year principally with HHCD and releasing the previous year's starter. One guy drafted at the position. That was it. Hyde and a healthier Richardson pitched-in, too. The gain dramatically outweighed the loss.

None of us know exactly what TT and MM have up their sleeves but it appears that they may have modified the basic Safety improvement plan from the year before. That amended plan relies heavily on a single newcomer, plus improvement from within. Whether or not it works as successfully as it did the year before is another matter. It's a roll-of-the-dice since there appears to be little to no margin for error. But I'll take this year's ILB roll-out over last year's any day.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Well, that's one way of looking at it. But there are three contenders in the mix that you may have overlooked. Joey Thomas and Nate Palmer were on IR and Bradford was red-shirted. Quid pro quo. Since most folks around here had little regard for the three that are now gone, and that their loss has been claimed to be addition by subtraction, at worst I would call it a tie. Now, add Ryan to the balance and it is, shall we say, a little more hopeful? But it's not quite accurate to say that he did not address the situation at all. He did. He just didn't load-up at the position, and on that I would fully agree that is a concern.

Just take a look at the athleticism and agility of all the ILBs currently on the Packers roster and name just one of them capable of playing WLB covering RBs and TEs. I don´t see a single one.

Sky King

Reaction score
Just take a look at the athleticism and agility of all the ILBs currently on the Packers roster and name just one of them capable of playing WLB covering RBs and TEs. I don´t see a single one.
Maybe so. But I'm quite curious that TT and MM see something positive ahead that others may not yet see. I'm eager to see how all this plays out.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe so. But I'm quite curious that TT and MM see something positive ahead that others may not yet see. I'm eager to see how all this plays out.

It didn´t work out that well at ILB during last season.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Montgomery has terrible hands for a receiver. I actually think he becomes the Packer's version of Shane Vereen. You really can't make the Harvin comparison because Harvin can catch the ball pretty well. Harvin is a receiver that can play running back really well. Montgomery looks like a running back that can sort of play receiver.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Montgomery has terrible hands for a receiver. I actually think he becomes the Packer's version of Shane Vereen. You really can't make the Harvin comparison because Harvin can catch the ball pretty well. Harvin is a receiver that can play running back really well. Montgomery looks like a running back that can sort of play receiver.

Montgomery won´t get close to 600 snaps a season playing with the Packers though.

Sky King

Reaction score
It didn´t work out that well at ILB during last season.
Clay certainly improved the ILB position dramatically when he played there part-time in the last half of the season. The whole defense for that matter, and the improvement to their stats supported that. One guy. Now we have another new guy added to the mix of incumbents. Which of them plays where and when are the unanswered questions.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I know fans remember those passes but I can't think of a single game the Packers lost last year because they couldn't cover the RB or TE. Packers lost the first game to Seattle because the offense played scared and they couldn't stop the run. Packers lost to Detroit because they just played badly. Packers lost to the Saints because they couldn't stop the run. Packers lost the Bills because McCarthy and Rodgers were more concerned with proving their gameplan could work as opposed to trying to win. Packers lost in the playoffs for a bunch of reasons but the 26 yards receiving by Lynch wasn't a major one.

The Packers coverage ability at linebacker really wasn't that huge a liability because there aren't a ton of teams that have the players to take advantage of it. Those that do (Pats and now the Seahawks) have players that need to be covered by safeties, not linebackers.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting, PFF put two of our UDFA's on their UDFA's to like list (10 offensive and 10 defensive players).

Matt Rotheram, G, Green Bay Packers

"One of my favorite players to watch during the 2014 season, Rotheram was a first-team All-American in our eyes as a bullying behemoth in the run game. No guard matched his grade in that respect as he finished with the top score in the nation. So, while he struggled at times in pass pro and doesn’t wow you with his athleticism like the guy who played next to him, his execution and polish present him with a great chance to find a home in the NFL."

James Vaughters, ED, Stanford, Green Bay Packers

"He may have been limited to just 196 pass rushing snaps in 2014, but no 3-4 outside linebacker in this draft class was more productive on a per-snap basis than Stanford’s Vaughters. Six sacks, 11 hits and 21 hurries saw him finish the year with a Pass Rushing Productivity Rating of 15.3. He was no slouch against the run either, with 29 tackles resulting in a defensive stop from 234 snaps of run D giving him the second-highest Run Stop Percentage in this class too, at 12.4%."

I know that they now talk about a position called Edge Rusher, but I've not before seen it abbreviated like that. Seems like we could ER or anything else but ED, especially in a forum with old guys posting. :)

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Clay certainly improved the ILB position dramatically when he played there part-time in the last half of the season. The whole defense for that matter, and the improvement to their stats supported that. One guy. Now we have another new guy added to the mix of incumbents. Which of them plays where and when are the unanswered questions.

As I posted in another thread the improvement in run defense over the second half of the season had mostly to do with mostly playing against terrible rushing offenses (five of the eight teams ranked 24th or worse). Once again, I expect Ryan to turn into a decent run stopper but as of right now there´s no reason to compare him to Matthews.

I know fans remember those passes but I can't think of a single game the Packers lost last year because they couldn't cover the RB or TE. Packers lost the first game to Seattle because the offense played scared and they couldn't stop the run. Packers lost to Detroit because they just played badly. Packers lost to the Saints because they couldn't stop the run. Packers lost the Bills because McCarthy and Rodgers were more concerned with proving their gameplan could work as opposed to trying to win. Packers lost in the playoffs for a bunch of reasons but the 26 yards receiving by Lynch wasn't a major one.

The Packers coverage ability at linebacker really wasn't that huge a liability because there aren't a ton of teams that have the players to take advantage of it. Those that do (Pats and now the Seahawks) have players that need to be covered by safeties, not linebackers.

The Packers ranked 24th in receiving yards allowed to RBs and TEs last season, a ranking they should intend on improving. The 26-yard reception Barrington allowed to Lynch in the NFCCG was actually a pretty important one in the Seahawks comeback.

Especially taking a look at the Seahawks the Packers won´t for sure not be able to cover both Graham and Lynch with a safety each.

Why couldn't he be a third down back when Starks leaves?

Well, first of all Starks is still on the roster and with Lacy turning into a reliable third down back last season I´d rather have Eddie on the field than Montgomery.

H

HardRightEdge

That's certainly a possibility, but if he looks good in preseason you run the risk somebody will sign him away. Another team carrying one blocking back who gets injured in-season might want to steal him away if he's put up some good tape.

On the same subject, I've seen some here assume Hundley will end up on PS. Unless the Packers conclude this pick was a bad mistake and don't care much if he goes, an unlikely scenario, they'll need to keep him on the 53. Hundley has no chance of competing for a starting job in Green Bay for many years to come; he'd have an incentive to jump somewhere where the QB situation is dicey and chances are somebody would take a shot at him for their 53 as a #3 developmental guy.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

I disagree about Harvin having good hands. I have followed Harvin closely and he is mostly a "body catcher" and sometimes looks unorthodox making catches. Montgomery was a pre-season 1st round pick and dropped mostly due to bad QB play at Stanford I believe. IMO TT saw him sitting there at the bottom of the 3rd and couldn't resist scooping him up.

The bottom line is Montgomery is a "home run threat" from anywhere on the field with an "NFL body". IMO it is a welcomed addition to have a guy like that to compliment what is already there. I am excited to see how it plays out.

Lastly, I'd say TT knows a thing or two when drafting receivers.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Montgomery won´t get close to 600 snaps a season playing with the Packers though.

How can you be so sure of this? You don't know how they plan to use them. There is a thing called injuries too.

My point is we simply don't know at this stage how much he will or will not play.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts