1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Report: Steelers pick Tomlin

Discussion in 'All Other Team Discussions' started by Greg C., Jan 20, 2007.

1. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Here's the latest from Sports Illustrated:

By Michael Silver, SI.com

Mike Tomlin, defensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings, has been chosen as the Pittsburgh Steelers' new head coach, SI.com has learned.

The official announcement will come either later Saturday or on Sunday.

Tomlin, 34, impressed the Steelers during the interview process with his organization skills, intelligence and grasp of the game, according to a source familiar with the coaching search.

He succeeds Bill Cowher, who resigned Jan. 5 after 15 seasons as the Steelers' coach.

Tomlin beat out Russ Grimm, 47, a Steelers assistant for six seasons and their assistant head coach for three, who had been considered the front-runner. The other finalist for the job was Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

Before joining the Vikings a year ago, Tomlin had spent five years as a defensive coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Before that, he was a college assistant at Cincinnati, Arkansas State, Memphis and Virginia Military Institute.

Tomlin will become only the third Steelers head coach in 38 years and the NFL's sixth African-American head coach.

2. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

3. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    So far SI is the only source of this info...still waiting for a more official announcemnt.

4. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    "It is untrue," Tomlin told ESPN's Chris Mortensen. "I have no idea where it's coming from. I have not talked to the Rooneys today."

5. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Listening to ESPN Radio at 5pm EST they were saying that the Oakland and Pittsburgh jobs were the only ones that had not been filled.
    They also said that nobody even wanted the Oakland job.

6. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Steelers say it ain't so as well

Article

Really beginning to look like they are waiting to interview the 3rd name on their list of finalists - the Bear's Ron Rivera.

Here's to hoping he's available to chat around 6:00PM EST tomorrow eh?

7. PackFanInSC

PackFanInSC Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Supposedly, Tomlin had a 2 1/2 hour interview earlier in the week and Grimm's lasted 6 hours. Since he does not need a stadium tour, I would have taken that to mean either he was going to get the job or needed to do some world-class begging. If Grimm does not get it, I guess the Steelers are destined to be running the Tampa 2 on defense.

8. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently it is now as good as done from what I am reading on Sunday night. Seems the Steelers made their decision Friday as reported but had not extended a contract nor had a deal been completed. Word now is that Tomlin is their guy. Looking forward to next season!!

9. vikefan

vikefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be excited if I were you also. We kept Green and let Billick and Dungy go, and look at their success.
    Now we keep Childress and let Tomlin go.....

10. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Jeez, I'd never thought of it that way. Ouch! Then again, I think the Vikings' biggest problem is that they have too many head cases on their team. It's okay for a roster to have one or two goofy guys, but at any given time, the Vikings usually have about half a dozen.

11. DeusNova

DeusNova Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    PFT.com reported that Grimm was offered the job originally, but then the Rooney family changed their mind before Grimm signed a deal.

12. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Sad, but true.