Report: Packers told body of Michael Philbin has been identified

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really my place to judge him I guess. Feel terrible for the parents and siblings. The 5 other siblings will never be able to replace losing the oldest brother.

I support Philbin taking as much time as he needs to deal with this. God, Family, Packers. In that order.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
This seems a terribly hyperbolic, hysterical response to my post. Did you happen to read anything else I said on this thread?

Do you know these girls? See, aside from their ages (roughly the same as his), I don't know anything at all about them - I can safely presume that they went to the party willingly, and drank in excess willingly. Beyond that, I can't draw any conclusions...and I certainly cannot conclude that they are so devastated by what happened that their lives have been "destroyed". If they were so drunk they passed out, it seems likely they have no memory of the event, and not as much trauma as the victim of a violent **** might experience...and would therefore be able to at least carry on.

If not, that's a tragedy too. But I don't know enough to conclude that. If you know them and can share, please do.

Me neither and won't even try...because a long, long time ago...I was a ***** 17 year old high school boy who did all right in sports and went to enough parties to know how things are...particularly when Dad finds out what his 16 year old princess did while 3/4 drunk and 1/4 stoned ... I learned a long time ago that things as framed up by highly qualified prosecutor with the DA's office isn't exactly square with what really went on and won't even try to guess or judge because if today's legal mentality were prevalent in the mid-to-late 70's, I'd probably be on one of those damned lists.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really think you can. Our OC just pulled his (imperfect) kid out of a river - something my own parents once did - and I can tell you first-hand it is nothing short of devastating.

I don't think very many people involved in the actual game are worried about football today.
So you're saying it is, in fact, a distraction to the team?

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Prayers sent out by me.

I hope the team wants to win for him now. I hope the opposite happens of the 2005 Colts when Tony Dungy's son shockingly took his own life near the end of the season. Dungy was the team leader and I felt the team mourned with him to the point they became flat.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Unbelievable how you can defend someone who committed such a heinous act. How about those girls lives he destroyed?

My heart goes out to Joe ad his family and friends....absolutely sad. No parent should live to see their kid pass away. Nobody should suffer like his so did in a drowning. It isn't right...it is sad. It makes me sick when something like this happens. Life is definitely not fair.

But, I'm not going to shed a tear for Michael himself. There is no forgiving an act like that, ever. No excuses. 17 years old? Does not matter one bit. There is nothing worse (besides murder) than taking ****** advantage of a young woman. A 17 year old damn knows well what is right and wrong.

My response to this post is, "wow". I myself have been on the receiving end of similar abuse and at a similar age. I'm now 52 and have learned to deal with it. As far as my perp, I think of him as an idiot kid who didn't know better or made a mistake or, whatever. Either way, I've learned to deal with it and moved on as the other girls will do. Again, not condoning the action of MP years ago.
These are two separate tragedies with completely different effects. The tragedy 2 (or 3) years ago left emotional scars that can be coped with. The tragedy today took a young life and left an innocent family with an irreplaceable void.

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
My heart goes out to the Philbin family. It's terrible enough to endure the despair of losing a loved one, and to lose a son... can't imagine how devastating that would be for Joe and his wife. Here's hoping for a Packer rally on Sunday for the entire Philbin family.

Zen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is just tragic. My thoughts are with the family. when our local sportscaster Mike Francesca broke what little information was trickling out, i just hung my head. I can't imagine what this is like for the Philbin family.

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
FWIW, from Jason Wilde's column on this topic:

"Michael Philbin had been reported missing Sunday night, having not been heard from since about 2 a.m. Sunday morning. A dean’s list student at Ripon College, he had gone to Oshkosh for the weekend to visit friends. In 2009, he was sentenced to six months in jail and 2 1/2 years of probation for having non-consensual sex with two girls at a party he threw while his parents were out of town, but the convictions were removed from his record after he successfully completed probation."

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
This could be something that our guys should want to win the game for. Play for Philbin, win for the guy that just lost his boy, and dedicate it to him, give him the game ball.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This could be something that our guys should want to win the game for. Play for Philbin, win for the guy that just lost his boy, and dedicate it to him, give him the game ball.

Yeah but that can kind of backfire. Playing for someone who just experienced a tragic death and saying that you're going to win for them has a way of putting people off because it makes it look like the game outcome is more important than a life. I know you're not saying that but there's always that danger.

Sometime it's just better to let the family mourn.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I recall Favre and the team's performance in the '03 Monday night game against the Raiders. Sometimes, out of sorrow, comes strength.

Reaction score
I really don't care what kind of troubled past the young man had. This news is just horrible. No parent should ever have to bury their kids.
This one hit home with me. I have a son who is a sophomore in college up in Oshkosh. Believe me no kid is perfect. Go home tonight and hug your kids, tell them you love them because you never know................

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Some of you posting in this thread should read this..

I really don't care what kind of troubled past the young man had. This news is just horrible. No parent should ever have to bury their kids.

There were a few others echoing that comment as well...

It was pointed out to me a few minutes ago that some here have acted like it was a good thing he passed away..I wish I would have seen it sooner..

I am really ASHAMED on how some Packer fans have reacted to this..

Some have pointed out he did his time and took responsibility for his actions, basically did his time and went on with his life...

What has he done since he served? Do you know? Has he volunteered at centers to help others? Has done anything to help repay the families he hurt? What if he has turned into a model person and was living life as perfect as he can because of his past..

You hate him for what he "did" fine...But please show some respect for his family that is really suffering at this point in time..

While I respect you have the right to your opinion on here, for now lets try to just focus on what his family is going through now..

I see any more comments about him and his past they will be deleted.

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
ehh... maybe to Philbin himself but I doubt the players were that close to the kid to be that personally effected. I see extra motivation if anything

I don't know how things work elsewhere, but this Packer team really is like a family. They may not have known Michael well, but they know Joe and his wife.

Reporters yesterday said they've never seen Mike McCarthy so subdued. Our T.J. Lang, who just lost his father this past week, was fighting for this young man's reputation on Twitter last night.

Believe me, they care.

We'll see how it goes. Deepest condolences to the Philbins. I know the pain of losing a parent, and the pain of losing a sibling...but losing a child is on another level. I've seen my own parents go through it, and I don't know if there's anything tougher in life.

Members online

Latest posts