Report: Al Harris to be released on Monday

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think this is a VERY questionable move if we are hoping to make a deep run in the playoffs.. i would feel 1000% more comfy with him at reserve rather than underwood or lee.. and not for nothing i think we are giving shields too much credit.. yea hes play pretty well these last few games but come on it was the shaky vikings and the lost cowboys.. still think harris would be a better fit their than him come playoffs.. this might come back to bite us in the ***

Recursive

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think this is a VERY questionable move if we are hoping to make a deep run in the playoffs.. i would feel 1000% more comfy with him at reserve rather than underwood or lee.. and not for nothing i think we are giving shields too much credit.. yea hes play pretty well these last few games but come on it was the shaky vikings and the lost cowboys.. still think harris would be a better fit their than him come playoffs.. this might come back to bite us in the ***

Yeah I cant disagree with you completely, but like a poster above said... Harris got PNWED by Buress in 2007. He is now 3 years older and hasn't played in a year. I really like Harris and he was once very critical to our defense, but I believe we have what it takes to make it deep into the playoffs with who we have.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone ever consider he was asked to take a backup role, or nickle back role and he said no? thats why they released him?

I heard he FELT he was ready for Minnesota game

If he did want to be a starter would make sense, and he also said i lost my job to an injury..Makes me really think he wants to be a starter

Recursive

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone ever consider he was asked to take a backup role, or nickle back role and he said no? thats why they released him?

I heard he FELT he was ready for Minnesota game

If he did want to be a starter would make sense, and he also said i lost my job to an injury..Makes me really think he wants to be a starter

Yeah that makes total sense. Im sure it was a mutual thing and Im sure there will be no bitterness between the organization and Harris. He would have been great at Nickel IMO.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

Here is a quote of the damage he suffered last year; "But Harris tore the anterior cruciate ligament, the lateral collateral ligament, the IT band, the fibular collateral ligament and the lateral hamstring in his left knee and leg."

He's 35 years old. I know that seems young, but not for this type injury. He has a lot of heart, but there is just no way he's going to rehab from all that and be the same or better than he was before the injury. It's just too cotton picking much damage. He is loved by a lot of us. But I don't think he'll be the same Al Harris as we are used to seeing. I think the coaching staff noticed it.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously Harris' knee is worse than anybody is letting on. I love the guy and enjoyed watching him. Hopefully he signs with a nice AFC team and plays another year or two.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I swear if Favre was trying to get him to come to Minn b4 we cut him...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
it isnt that bad..He is 35, hasnt played in a year doesnt want to, or coaches dont want him to play nickle..Also coaches like their nickles to play special teams..

Shields, & Tramon both have better upsides than Harris...

He is healthy I am sure of it..Coaches just had to wait and see on the other options

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but in the case of an injury, wouldn't it have been waived with some kind of injury settlement, thus indicating he was done for the year?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
but in the case of an injury, wouldn't it have been waived with some kind of injury settlement, thus indicating he was done for the year?

I'm going to go with Longtime here, I don't think he's injured currently. The Packers would of fully disclosed that information upon releasing him, otherwise it would be deceptive. Nobody is going to sign him without him clearing their docs anyway.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al Harris is, right now, better than Shields as the nickel corner. However, the following was taken into account when relasing him:

1) Age. He's 35. By next year, Shields will be a better corner.
2) ST play. Tramon Williams plays ST. Shields plays ST. Even Nick Collins plays ST. Harris doesn't.
3) Injuries. We are really thin at other positions, mainly at DL, to get rid of someone else to put on Harris.

So there you go. He would contend for our nickel spot, but wouldn't add anything at ST. They wouldn't even activate a dime back who doesn't play ST, let alone keep the guy.

It was very unfortunate for him. Too much competition, and too many injuries on other spots. No doubt he is better than Lee, Underwood and Bush as a cornerback. But we don't have the luxury of keeping him, not when our ST is still so deficient, and when we have an incredible great depth at CB...

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al Harris is, right now, better than Shields as the nickel corner. However, the following was taken into account when relasing him:

1) Age. He's 35. By next year, Shields will be a better corner.
2) ST play. Tramon Williams plays ST. Shields plays ST. Even Nick Collins plays ST. Harris doesn't.
3) Injuries. We are really thin at other positions, mainly at DL, to get rid of someone else to put on Harris.

So there you go. He would contend for our nickel spot, but wouldn't add anything at ST. They wouldn't even activate a dime back who doesn't play ST, let alone keep the guy.

It was very unfortunate for him. Too much competition, and too many injuries on other spots. No doubt he is better than Lee, Underwood and Bush as a cornerback. But we don't have the luxury of keeping him, not when our ST is still so deficient, and when we have an incredible great depth at CB...

Al harris, right now, we dont know where he is.

yes from an experience standpoint he has shields blown out of the water. but he is 11 mo removed from obliterating a 36 year old knee. im pretty sure if he tore anything else in there the lower leg would have fallen clean off. similar injuries require players alot younger than him to take a year or more to fully recover from that bad of an injury. im fairly certain that the knee is the limiting factor here, while it may not feel in pain anymore, after the teen years the body stops repairing perfectly (if it can be called that then) and things never go back the way they used to regardless of rehab.

Harris wasnt a speedster even with healthy knees. he had his fair share of picks and great defensive plays mind you, but in the last few years he was never matched up on a marquee guy, and when he was he got plaxico'd we as fans just glossed over alot of the miscues because he had been great before then, and we werent spoiled with talent like we are now. i know its been a while, but i cant recall the last time harris made a pick or defensed a pass with a show of sheer athleticism. i can recall plenty of times where he was in the right place at the right time for a QB error, and that his experience and talents allowed him to predict and anticipate these things, but that never happened when there was no miscue.

That pick by shields sunday night was just jaw dropping. one handed, up against the wr, falling down. i dont think harris made a pick that athletic in his entire career. hes got me really excited especially since hes still learning. and learning from the best in woodson and now tramon.

i think they got rid of harris because he would never see the field because right now shields is just better. and capers uses safeties in dime anyway instead of corners.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al harris, right now, we dont know where he is.

yes from an experience standpoint he has shields blown out of the water. but he is 11 mo removed from obliterating a 36 year old knee. im pretty sure if he tore anything else in there the lower leg would have fallen clean off. similar injuries require players alot younger than him to take a year or more to fully recover from that bad of an injury. im fairly certain that the knee is the limiting factor here, while it may not feel in pain anymore, after the teen years the body stops repairing perfectly (if it can be called that then) and things never go back the way they used to regardless of rehab.

Harris wasnt a speedster even with healthy knees. he had his fair share of picks and great defensive plays mind you, but in the last few years he was never matched up on a marquee guy, and when he was he got plaxico'd we as fans just glossed over alot of the miscues because he had been great before then, and we werent spoiled with talent like we are now. i know its been a while, but i cant recall the last time harris made a pick or defensed a pass with a show of sheer athleticism. i can recall plenty of times where he was in the right place at the right time for a QB error, and that his experience and talents allowed him to predict and anticipate these things, but that never happened when there was no miscue.

That pick by shields sunday night was just jaw dropping. one handed, up against the wr, falling down. i dont think harris made a pick that athletic in his entire career. hes got me really excited especially since hes still learning. and learning from the best in woodson and now tramon.

i think they got rid of harris because he would never see the field because right now shields is just better. and capers uses safeties in dime anyway instead of corners.

hey chuck norris, who wins in a fight, Chuck Norris or Clay Matthews?

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the way you guys make excuses for tt and mm letting al go. But the coaches that was actually watching Als progress thought he looked better then he did when his knee was healthy. What I'm saying is sheilds over al?? No way no how atleast they could have let al finish this season. That sloppy fade route that dez Bryant caught for a td that wouldn't have happened on al. IMO they should have let al finshed this year out and traded him or let him go in the off season. That's just my out look on the situation.

Members online

Latest posts