Report: Al Harris to be released on Monday

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope Al doesn't have a lot more in the tank, cause Detroit seems to be a decent secondary away from being a nuisance in the division. and I believe Detroit is earlier on the waiver wire than either minny or chicago.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
This just breaks my heart. I thought he'd be activated today and not released. He was a great vet to this team, so much a part of us, he will be missed very much. I will never think of him as anything but a Green Bay Packer in soul, no matter what uniform he puts on. To me, my memories of him will always be cherished for the part he played in recent Packer history. I wish him the best in life and nothing less. Al Harris, I salute thee!!!!

NYC Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This sucks! Al Harris was one of my favorite guys to watch :( Class act and awesome hair!

Wish him all the best and I hope he stays a Packer at heart for life.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
He is a great locker room presence. The surgery he had on his knee was major. He might be healthy now and the knee seem to work ok, but that kind of surgery can definitely affect a player's speed. I honestly thought they'd keep him as a situation player, but I guess they know something we don't.

He did give us a lot of great memories. I think he loves football so much that he'll go to whoever pays him. Another team that would like him is the 49ers. This is a situation that if he went to an NFC North rival, I wouldn't begrudge him. He's trying to come back from a usually career ending injury. If he can do it somewhere, more power to him.

PackisBack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer brass has a history of dropping older vets in favor of newer players, I seem to remember a certain QB...but really I saw this coming when he wasn't activated with Bigby.

All that aside Al Harris was a great player and a great personality for the game of football and I know for a fact that someone will gladly pick him up. I hope its a winning team that can put him in a position to be successful for another couple years.

Maybe the Patriots?

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well looking at the league, I'm not entirely sure how the waiver wire works, other than it basically goes from worst record on up...

Well if he is cut/waived then I believe the order this week for that looks something like this:

Buffalo 0-8
Dallas 1-7
Carolina 1-7
Denver 2-6
San Francisco 2-6
Detroit 2-6
Cincinattit 2-5 (might be 2-6 after tonight's game)
Cleveland 3-5
Arizona 3-5
Minnesota 3-5
San Diego 4-5
Jacksonville 4-4
Seattle 4-4
Miami 4-4
Houston 4-4
Washington 4-4
St Louis 4-4
Oakland 5-4

Of those, I really doubt Buffalo grabs him, Dallas could, if JOnes started cutting some of the under acihevers, Carolina? Don't see him as a fit there, Denver is interesting, and Champ Bailey isn't quite the corner he once was, SF is a possibility, but for some reason Detroit really seems like a possibility to me. After Detroit, I'm not sure any team other than maybe Seattle, Houston, Washington, or Oakland would give Al a look.

The teams with same records I'm not sure how they arrange them

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm, I hope he goes to Buffalo!!! NOT Dallas, please NOT Dallas!!! You don't want to be a Cowboy, Harris, it would be better to retire!!!

I can see San Fran making a grab for him, that would be a nice place to play out until retirement, warm and sunny weather!

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well looking at the league, I'm not entirely sure how the waiver wire works, other than it basically goes from worst record on up...

Well if he is cut/waived then I believe the order this week for that looks something like this:

Buffalo 0-8
Dallas 1-7
Carolina 1-7
Denver 2-6
San Francisco 2-6
Detroit 2-6
Cincinattit 2-5 (might be 2-6 after tonight's game)
Cleveland 3-5
Arizona 3-5
Minnesota 3-5
San Diego 4-5
Jacksonville 4-4
Seattle 4-4
Miami 4-4
Houston 4-4
Washington 4-4
St Louis 4-4
Oakland 5-4

Of those, I really doubt Buffalo grabs him, Dallas could, if JOnes started cutting some of the under acihevers, Carolina? Don't see him as a fit there, Denver is interesting, and Champ Bailey isn't quite the corner he once was, SF is a possibility, but for some reason Detroit really seems like a possibility to me. After Detroit, I'm not sure any team other than maybe Seattle, Houston, Washington, or Oakland would give Al a look.

The teams with same records I'm not sure how they arrange them

He isnt going to be picked up on waivers. You dont pay a corner $2 mil thats 35 coming off that injury. He will be signed as a FA.

Bailey is still a great corner, he just gets lost in the problems that Denver has. He is grading out on PFF as the 2nd best corner in the league. They have Tramon as the 3rd best :)

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
First, if anyone picks him up it will only cost 1.25 million. They have to pay the remaining part of his contract, not the whole thing. Second, I could see MN picking him up just for the info he has on the Packers before the next game in two weeks. MN is short on DB and someone like Harris may be a benefit, even though he may not have much left in the tank.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
First, if anyone picks him up it will only cost 1.25 million. They have to pay the remaining part of his contract, not the whole thing. Second, I could see MN picking him up just for the info he has on the Packers before the next game in two weeks. MN is short on DB and someone like Harris may be a benefit, even though he may not have much left in the tank.

He won't talk, no matter what you do to him.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

which averaged over the span of the season is the same as paying someone the full amount. whats your point?

I guess its possible, Minnesota makes stupid decisions all the time.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He isnt going to be picked up on waivers. You dont pay a corner $2 mil thats 35 coming off that injury. He will be signed as a FA.

Bailey is still a great corner, he just gets lost in the problems that Denver has. He is grading out on PFF as the 2nd best corner in the league. They have Tramon as the 3rd best :)
Who's 1st????

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For 1 game worth of info for a failing team? Please. And if you think for one minute that Capers and Co. wont switch things up once Harris (if) signs with Minny, you have another thing coming. Capers is a mastermind, hes not dumb. Just look what he has done with 2nd and third stringers. Im sure hes got coverage packages that no one has ever seen that could be implemented if this was to happen. It would be DUMB for minny to sign him.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess it would be possible for us to pick him up after he passes through waivers.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
For 1 game worth of info for a failing team? Please. And if you think for one minute that Capers and Co. wont switch things up once Harris (if) signs with Minny, you have another thing coming. Capers is a mastermind, hes not dumb. Just look what he has done with 2nd and third stringers. Im sure hes got coverage packages that no one has ever seen that could be implemented if this was to happen. It would be DUMB for minny to sign him.

Haha, cause MN hasn't done anything dumb this season...

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess it would be possible for us to pick him up after he passes through waivers.

You mean he could just land up back here if he cycles through without anybody claiming him? Dare to have some hope? That's not good news for Harris if nobody wants to claim him but it would be sweet to have him back!

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
If he is an ex-packer and available. I guarantee you Vikings will sign him (or try to). He's an ex-Packer and Vikings can't resist them. A ex-Packer is like Viking Crack Cocaine.

I doubt Harris would make the mistake of signing onto that mess in Minnesota. Unless he like Farve so much. Doubt it.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean he could just land up back here if he cycles through if without anybody claiming him? Dare to have some hope? That's not good news for Harris if nobody wants to claim him but it would be sweet to have him back!

Yeah, as in we give him a fair shot at getting picked up by someone else and a chance to make the most of his situation. Not really sure how the rest of the league views him. I would think this might be his last season.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't shake the feeling that he ends up in detroit. There are just too many teams with 2 or fewer losses for Minny to get a clear shot at him.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he is an ex-packer and available. I guarantee you Vikings will sign him (or try to). He's an ex-Packer and Vikings can't resist them. A ex-Packer is like Viking Crack Cocaine.

I doubt Harris would make the mistake of signing onto that mess in Minnesota. Unless he like Farve so much. Doubt it.

I hope if he goes to Minny, he destroys what is left of that team. I'd love him even more for that!!! Vikings would be fools enough to walk right into it too.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Actually, I see Detroit taking the chance on him before MN. While MN is hurting for DB it has not been the reason they are losing games. (Some lame QB that used to be with the Packers is the main reason. But we won't get into that.) I also don't think Chilly is in a position to spend anymore of Wilfs money without being fired.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, as in we give him a fair shot at getting picked up by someone else and a chance to make the most of his situation. Not really sure how the rest of the league views him. I would think this might be his last season.

Ultimately, yes. I'd want the best for him, he deserves no less than to play the rest of his career to the fullest. I just don't want to see him go to anyone in the division and on waivers, you can't control that.

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That would be nice but teams snag up ex-Packers quicker than Favres career circling the drain. If the retain them, thats a different story.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be very surprised if anyone picked him up without having their doctors look at him.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts