Report: Aaron Rodgers return to Packers hinges on a trade for Randall Cobb

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the grand scheme of things, if having 1 WR slot be 'Aaron's guy' that he has some control over, if that could have avoided the last 8 months of drama, I would be fine with it. My guess is that this might become more common.
Agreed. It's already common in the NBA. I read yesterday that Carmelo Anthony will play for the Lakers. That's because that's what LeBron wanted.

Deep sigh. I miss the days when players played, managers managed, and coaches coached. Vince (RIP) must be spinning in his grave.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed. It's already common in the NBA. I read yesterday that Carmelo Anthony will play for the Lakers. That's because that's what LeBron wanted.

Deep sigh. I miss the days when players played, managers managed, and coaches coached. Vince (RIP) must be spinning in his grave.
Vince coached AND managed IIRC. And Curly did all 3.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vince coached AND managed IIRC. And Curly did all 3.
True, but the league was half the size it is today, and BS from players wasn't tolerated.

This doesn't diminish the greatness of Vince and Curly and that wasn't my point. My point was that the elite athletes in sports today are demanding a level of control best left to others.

AGreen2AJones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but the league was half the size it is today, and BS from players wasn't tolerated.

This doesn't diminish the greatness of Vince and Curly and that wasn't my point. My point was that the elite athletes in sports today are demanding a level of control best left to others.
They are the brand names now though. They should be asking for more and more

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are the brand names now though. They should be asking for more and more
Yeah I mean it's the same logic that applies to college BB players right? It's their name that's being used to sell seats and TV rights and apparel so why can't they get paid? (Well now they will be.)

And while I don't agree that they are the only brand in play, people tune in to watch Aaron Rodgers, not Mark Murphy. So edge to the players.

This will be an unstable situation until the old CBA is replaced. It shouldn't be that hard for a bunch of smart labor lawyers to figure out how the huge pot of money is divided. Under the current agreement, I think the players are getting the short end. (I know, I know, they makes millions so who cares?) Well we all should care about fairness. Geez with the value of NFL broadcast rights alone there's plenty to go around.

As for players getting involved in calling or helping to call the personnel shots, that's gonna be on a case by case basis. Personally I don't like it, until I do. Remember when Favre got pissed cause the front office wouldn't bring in Randy Moss? I was all for bringing him in, ex-Viking or not. I'm not that crazy about the Cobb move. So this subjective area will have to be dealt with locally, IMO.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah we shall see in the slot how Cobb does..
I hope he does great. He hasn't been gone long, and I think he gained over 800 years with Dallas his first year. Hopefully Amari Rodgers does well, and if he does, I'd be happy if the two combined put up over 1,000 yards. That might be a big ask, but a guy can hope.

And if they do well in the slot, it will set up the other receivers. Last year the Packers had no real threat from the slot.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One that just wasn't good enough when it counted most.
Agreed, and that's a problem. As far as NFCCGs, I get the blowouts to Atlanta and SF. They just had much better teams. But the atrocious loss to Seattle in 2014, and the "just not good enough when it counted" loss to TB are hard to take. As far as that TB game, it was typical Brady. Nothing he does during the course of a game makes you jump up and say WOW! But during those few plays when it really is decoded who will win, he comes through. Rodgers had the ball first and goal from the 8 and couldn't get it done (OK, he deserved one more try). But he also failed to run and pick up a good chunk of yards when he had the chance. To me, he looked afraid. Brady had a first and 8 from the goal as well after Jones' fumble. He threw for a TD on the next play.

That's the difference (in a nutshell) between Brady and Rodgers. Well. between Brady and every other QB.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seen this today, trade scenarios for Michael Thomas and #4 is Green Bay. How would this even work? I get it's a prediction or wild pick? Could Green Bay even afford something like this for Rodgers?? https://sportsnaut.com/idea-michael-thomas-trade-scenarios/ Also if I posted this in the wrong spot I apologize, I was going by the header of Rodgers hinges on trade for Cobb.
It would be great to have Thomas and Adams on the same team. The big question then is who will throw the ball to them?

This trade could happen if the cap expands as expected and enough of Rodgers cap hit comes off in 2022, but it would be tight and allow for no FA moves - probably. It's fun to think about, I just don't see it happening.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
honestly I think thomas injury is going to take awhile for him to rebound from....I'd say hard pass if he came calling - too much cash.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
To trade Michael Thomas The Saints would have to eat $32.6 million in dead money — $8.9 million this year and $22.7 million next year. I doubt the Saints take that hit. However, the low price tag (base salary), for a player of his caliber, that remain on his 4 year contract would make it very tempting to trade for him. The only big questions are, when can he play again and will his recent surgery effect his game much? At 28, it's a tempting idea and if you get successful results, resigning Adams becomes way less of a priority.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To trade Michael Thomas The Saints would have to eat $32.6 million in dead money — $8.9 million this year and $22.7 million next year. I doubt the Saints take that hit. However, the low price tag (base salary), for a player of his caliber, that remain on his 4 year contract would make it very tempting to trade for him. The only big questions are, when can he play again and will his recent surgery effect his game much? At 28, it's a tempting idea and if you get successful results, resigning Adams becomes way less of a priority.
Hard pass

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You gotta worry about his attitude. For one thing, it sure sounds like if he was serious about football; he would have had surgery earlier. He can say his doctors told him to wait. Kind of like oil companies saying their experts say there is no problem. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Obviously everything revolving around the Packers even consider trading for Michael Thomas would include checking in on his ego, mental status, medical reports, desire to play in GB, etc. None of us have that ability and thus I view it as "implied" as being done, the same way I view it in any player acquisition situation.

Strictly looking at talent and salary he could be a bargain. Now if he won't honor that contract, wants a new one, the Saints want 2 first round picks for him or doctors say that his surgery was a disaster, that changes everything.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
honestly I think thomas injury is going to take awhile for him to rebound from....I'd say hard pass if he came calling - too much cash.
Yeah I wonder why he waited until June to have the surgery. That makes no sense to me.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously everything revolving around the Packers even consider trading for Michael Thomas would include checking in on his ego, mental status, medical reports, desire to play in GB, etc. None of us have that ability and thus I view it as "implied" as being done, the same way I view it in any player acquisition situation.

Strictly looking at talent and salary he could be a bargain. Now if he won't honor that contract, wants a new one, the Saints want 2 first round picks for him or doctors say that his surgery was a disaster, that changes everything.
A lot of ifs Poker but they're all valid. I don't know if he is a head case or not, and we've already got one of those, so I'd pass. Way too risky considering the $$$ and QB situation. We've got our head case in Rodgers, but at least he can play.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A lot of ifs Poker but they're all valid. I don't know if he is a head case or not, and we've already got one of those, so I'd pass. Way too risky considering the $$$ and QB situation. We've got our head case in Rodgers, but at least he can play.
As I mentioned, of course there are a lot of things that the Packers would need to do their due diligence on. Thomas's beef may strictly be with the way the way that the Saints publicly painted the picture of the timing of his surgery. Maybe a doctor he trusted gave him other advice? Do we know for sure?

I don't know a lot about Thomas off the field, I just know that when healthy, he is one hell of a good football player. Michael Thomas just turned 28 in March, if he has another 3-4 years of play like he has had and everything checks out in a favorable way, then the next thing you look at is "how much do the Saints want in a trade?"

His contract calls for the following base salaries, could be a bargain for a player of his caliber. Especially when compared with what Adams apparently wants.

2021: $1 Million
2022: $15.35M + $450K WO & Roster
2023: $15.5 M + $950K WO & Roster
2024: $18.5 M + $1.2M WO & Roster

If I did my math right, that averages out to $13.2375M/year over the next 4 years.

Members online

Latest posts