Reorganize the Play-offs for a better Superbowl

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has the NFL ever considered ranking the teams that made the play-offs and then dropping them into a single-elimination bracket?

Sure, the AFC-NFC thing goes out the window, but I'd rather see the top teams have the best chance at getting to play in the big game. Too many times in the last few years, it's been the AFC Championship game that has been the real Superbowl.

Sure the AFC/NFC champ stats would be gone, I think the NFL would benefit from a better matched Superbowl. The games would be better and I think it would draw a better audience. The last Superbowl I remember REALLY enjoying was the Titans/Rams and I care not for either.

Has this been considered and what are your thoughts?

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've thought about it, decided I like the AFC-NFC thing better.

I agree. If any league should try it, it should be the NBA. Phoenix vs. Dallas, now THAT's a championship that'd be exciting.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it should stay as it is. After all, what other way would the Bears or Vikings ever get another chance at winning a trophy if you took away the NFC championship game? :thumbsup:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure the AFC/NFC champ stats would be gone, I think the NFL would benefit from a better matched Superbowl. The games would be better and I think it would draw a better audience.

The Super Bowl between Indianapolis and Chicago on CBS was seen by 93.2 million people, behind only the 1982 "M*A*S*H" finale and the 1996 Super Bowl between Dallas and Pittsburgh as the most-watched TV broadcast of all time.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/today/articles/5603021.html

with that said.....Maybe something could be done to improve it...Those ratings are probably skewed since it was Chicago and Indy..Chicago not being there in decades and Indy never being there..Fans WATCHED..

I highly doubt the nfl will want to change anything yet

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt very much that the NFL would consider this change, and I hope they don't. It's fine with me that the conference championship games are usually better than the Super Bowl. I watch all of those games anyway. Although the Super Bowl is often anticlimatic, it's still the Super Bowl, and as longtimefan pointed out, it is still going to get huge ratings.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has the NFL ever considered ranking the teams that made the play-offs and then dropping them into a single-elimination bracket?

Sure, the AFC-NFC thing goes out the window, but I'd rather see the top teams have the best chance at getting to play in the big game. Too many times in the last few years, it's been the AFC Championship game that has been the real Superbowl.

Sure the AFC/NFC champ stats would be gone, I think the NFL would benefit from a better matched Superbowl. The games would be better and I think it would draw a better audience. The last Superbowl I remember REALLY enjoying was the Titans/Rams and I care not for either.

Has this been considered and what are your thoughts?

I think Denver would like that since they were out of the playoffs with a 9-7 record while the Giants made it in at 8-8.

I would not be too concerned by the fact that the AFC has won 8 of the last 10. The NFC had won 13 in a row before that.

Members online

Latest posts