1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Remind me again why Bates isn't our HC?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by musccy, Sep 11, 2006.

1. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I hate to jump to conclusions so much...in part because I trust that this team isn't as bad as it looked today, but hell...message boards are made for jumpy and irrational thinking...

didn't we hire an offensive minded coach...and didn't we just have a game in which we never even got close enough to attempt a legit field goal? The one and only thing we had going for us last year was our d...so we say adios to the one thing that was working...and now we get nada on offense, and burned by, of all offenses...the BEARS!

2. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Ask TT? I don't know this answer

3. WinnipegPackFan

WinnipegPackFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Because he wasn't one of TT's boys is my guess !!

4. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Because he wanted a QB-oriented coach to try to make something out of his first ever first round pick.

5. spardo62

spardo62 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ask the 31 other NFL teams that did not give him a chance for what the last 15 or so years(including the Miami Dolphins who pegged him as the interim, but passed him over).

6. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Same could be said about McCarthy

7. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think, unfortunately, if has everything to do with his age at this point in his career. Right or wrong...that is what seems to be the issue.

"It is a young man's game", now applies to coaching staffs as well due to the demands it places on the HC.

8. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    THEY may want a young coach but I haven't seen our defence as fired up as it was last year in a long time. I still prefer a real coach instead of someone who is nice to interview and can relate to all the young players. Why is Joe Gibbs still getting it done

9. spardo62

spardo62 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    True, but I guess my point is two-fold. 1. Other teams also passed over Bates; and, 2. none of us can assume that the picture would be better with Bates at the helm.

10. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Actually we can. We may have lost, but I can PROMISE you we would have played with EMOTION!

11. Chamuko

Chamuko Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Because "Ki$$ing TT´s butt and licking his shoe soles to get the job" wasnt an option???

Maybe because he might become a winning coach and might have sent a shdow over TT´s greatness..

Maybe just because a guy with a great ego made a HUGE mistake and hired a looser instead...

I am begining to think that TT´s era will end a big disaster, and I hope it ends soon..

12. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

The list is growing RAPIDLY Chamuko!

13. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah...chamuko....because by losing he is building a sure path to "greatness"! Appreciate your enthusiasm....but your logic is backwards.

How many shots consumed yesterday?

14. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    Because Ted hired Mike McCarthy.

15. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    haha

Pyle said.
    im glad you can promise things unseen. you must be magic.

you are the definition of stupid fan, when you want to fire a coach after one game.

but i agree with you pyle... at least if we fire MM, we could open up some cap space right. genius.

16. PackFanatic

PackFanatic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +13
    Joe Gibbs is getting er done because

HE DOES NOT CALL PLAYS that is totally left up to his coordinators all Gibbs does is be President and HC and asks a ? once in a while :)

17. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    What? Pyle, you admit to not knowing something? wow....

I'll let you all in on the answer....because the Packers hired Mike McCarthy, that's why! I agree the results didn't look good last week but give this coaching staff at least half of a season to determine if they are worthy or not.

18. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Now it's half a season. Halfway through the season it will be a full season, after this year it will be another season..........on and on......welcome to the 80's!

19. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah, you're right pyle...we should just evaluate this stuff after one regular season game. Favre threw two picks, let's cut him. William Henderson didn't recover quick enough to suit up for the game, let's cut him. I didn't see enough out of Gado or Herron either, let's cut 'em both. As long as we're going back to the 80's, let's re-hire Forrest Gregg as the HC and get Lynn Dickey under center once again.

20. majikman

majikman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    What about Brockington?

I hope we're not saying after 10 games, "It's only been 10 games, let's see if we can win one before the seasons over" before criticizing the team.

21. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    It is what it is. I would have liked to have given Bates a shot too, but you know what? They didn't hire him, now we have to live with McCarthy. Maybe in time he will be alright

22. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I'm not saying we shouldn't criticize the team, there's plenty of that to go around. The thread is about why Bates is not the HC....it's premature to think that McCarthy won't get this thing turned around is what I'm saying.

If he doesn't and he's the next Ray Rhodes (the Head Coach, not DC), I will jump in line and say so.

23. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Yes, you are saying that ND. I as a fan have every right to criticize this team. It's the same ol' story with you guys.

I heard in preseason - Wait til the Regular Season.........Uh Ok.....I Did

Now it's wait half a year, then it will go on and on. I live in Browns land, i know what its like to say wait til next year.......every year.

I haven't seen one good thing out of Ted THompson or Mike McCarthy to even have a belief this is going tochange anytime soon, thus I complain.

24. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    No, I'M NOT SAYING THAT PYLE...do you get it now? Don't try and tell me what I'm saying, thank you. The Packers absolutely sucked last week and there's plenty of blame to go around about that. The playcalling, QB play, pass defense, etc...

The problem is you aren't (and never was) willing to give this team a chance from the very beginning. Now, they're 0-1 and the team will never recover. I think it's irrational, you don't. End of story. Agree to disagree, I suppose.

25. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Try to let this sink in to your mind ND. PERHAPS I wasn't willing to give this team a chance because I might just have an inkling of knowledge about football. Maybe I could look at this team objectively when some others could not.

I stated this team would stink, not because I wanted them to, not because I just BLINDLY hate TT, but because it doesn't take a genuis to look at the moves of our GM, the players he has gave us, and the lack of emotion they play with to figure it out. It just takes the ability to REMOVE the glasses.

I thus far have been right, and noone here can deal with it. I didn't want to be right, I wish the Packers were good, but they are not and WILLNOT be until we get a GM in here is competant enough to not let 2 starting Guards walk and leave the WR core bare.