Remaining cap after today's moves

Reaction score
All I want to know is one thing. Is there enough change left for Eggs and Chorizo?? I’m hungry and Gute reminds me of Charles Grodin here.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So who's fired?
:)
Daniels 8.3 mil saved 2.4 mil dead.
Bulaga 6.7 mil saved 1.6 dead
Crosby 3.6 mil saved. 1.2 dead.
Spriggs 2 mil saved 450k dead.

I personally think williams is worth keeping with all the youth and injury history with the secondary. Even with 3.7 saved and 2.6 dead... CBs are expensive.

Crosby could be a option imo. He hasnt been so good that he is safe. And theres even yhe possibility a rookie might out perform him.

Daniels and bulaga are $15 mil together... On one hand I would pay 15 mil for them easily...
On the other, we are broke. We could spend our two first round picks on their future replacements. And go buy 5x , $3 mil veteran depth guys.... Or 3x, $5 mil veterans.

Its a risky option trading off proven players for new guys and forcing rookies into the starting job. But its an option....

H

HardRightEdge

So who's fired?
:)
Daniels 8.3 mil saved 2.4 mil dead.
Bulaga 6.7 mil saved 1.6 dead
Crosby 3.6 mil saved. 1.2 dead.
Spriggs 2 mil saved 450k dead.

I personally think williams is worth keeping with all the youth and injury history with the secondary. Even with 3.7 saved and 2.6 dead... CBs are expensive.

Crosby could be a option imo. He hasnt been so good that he is safe. And theres even yhe possibility a rookie might out perform him.

Daniels and bulaga are $15 mil together... On one hand I would pay 15 mil for them easily...
On the other, we are broke. We could spend our two first round picks on their future replacements. And go buy 5x , $3 mil veteran depth guys.... Or 3x, $5 mil veterans.

Its a risky option trading off proven players for new guys and forcing rookies into the starting job. But its an option....
You don't have to cut any of them. If this is in fact, "Green Bay, Wisconsin; it is always win now", then you would not want to cut any of them until you have a replacement in FA or the draft, and if it is the draft you are gambling that the guy is ready for prime time, ready to "win now".

Spriggs savings is actually $1.1 mil, but this is admittedly a quibble.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't have to cut any of them. If this is in fact, "Green Bay, Wisconsin; it is always win now", then you would not want to cut any of them until you have a replacement in FA or the draft, and if it is the draft you are gambling that the guy is ready for prime time.

Spriggs savings is actually $1.1 mil, but this is admittedly a quibble.
I would have to agree. Keep what we have. Add a draft. And go to work.

But its good to have options.

Jordy for instance... A pick up like that for a few mil could end up netting 1000 yds and double digit TDs..... Might not be the plan week 1. But when graham doesnt meld and adams gets hurt and the rookies regress. Its those depth/insurance guys that make the team a winner over 20 weeks...

Reaction score
I would have to agree. Keep what we have. Add a draft. And go to work.

But its good to have options.

Jordy for instance... A pick up like that for a few mil could end up netting 1000 yds and double digit TDs..... Might not be the plan week 1. But when graham doesnt meld and adams gets hurt and the rookies regress. Its those depth/insurance guys that make the team a winner over 20 weeks...
As far as Jordy, I don’t know what he will command now with all this supposed interest in him. But I’d consider signing him to 1yr deal with some playoff incentives if he’s anywhere in the 3M range. IMO he can hold that slot position until 2020 and that allows us a year to find a solution

I personally think we can find a comparable Kicker of the future by round 5-6 and that saves us 4M/yr going forward which isn’t slouch change.

OP
OP
GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we need to cool it on the Jordy talk. Gute basically scorched the Earth with Jordy by offering him a peanuts contract (which was close to vet minimum). Why would he all of a sudden offer him 3+ mill a year when he hasn't played a snap in LaFleur's system and is a year older? I think Jordy will sign a $1 contract with the Packers and retire.

If we were desperate for a slot receiver we would have made a stronger push for Humphries, Tate, Ellington or Beasley. Given our salary cap and need for someone to man the slot this year, either we do a camp battle and see who comes out on top, or we draft someone like Deebo, Brown, Isabella or Paris.

Reaction score
Why would he all of a sudden offer him 3+ mill a year when he hasn't played a snap in LaFleur's system
Excuse me but no one on this Offense had played a a snap in La Fleurs system. So that argument is frivolous.
I’d be totally comfortable a 10yr veteran who has chemistry with AR is a far better option than a novice group of Wideouts trying to find their way.

A camp battle? To see who replaces a 10 year veteran? It took Cobb himself several years to master the position, I think that’s way too optimistic to expect anyone currently on this roster to take the Cobb Baton and run the next leg with any degree of certainty.

I agree with drafting someone. But what do we do if those options you presented go before our pick? What’s the contingency plan?

Why would Jordy take a 1M offer? Didn’t he already walk over more than that? We wouldn’t give him 1M just to retire, that doesn’t help us win.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Me thinks he wet his pants on that 3rd "tackling dummy".
Let's hope that's not an analogy to the 3rd. backloaded FA contract. :eek:

This brings to mind a new term that should be added to the NFL lexicon when referring to a busted high draft pick or FA signing: "crash test dummy".

Used in a sentence: "Perry was a crash test dummy."

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Let's hope that's not an analogy to the 3rd. backloaded FA contract. :eek:

This brings to mind a new term that should be added to the NFL lexicon when referring to a busted high draft pick or FA signing: "crash test dummy".

Used in a sentence: "Perry was a crash test dummy."

We aren't that far off from maybe replacing these guys with......Dummies.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excuse me but no one on this Offense had played a a snap in La Fleurs system. So that argument is frivolous.
I’d be totally comfortable a 10yr veteran who has chemistry with AR is a far better option than a novice group of Wideouts trying to find their way.

A camp battle? To see who replaces a 10 year veteran? It took Cobb himself several years to master the position, I think that’s way too optimistic to expect anyone currently on this roster to take the Cobb Baton and run the next leg with any degree of certainty.

I agree with drafting someone. But what do we do if those options you presented go before our pick? What’s the contingency plan?

Why would Jordy take a 1M offer? Didn’t he already walk over more than that? We wouldn’t give him 1M just to retire, that doesn’t help us win.

The contract I proposed was a ONE DOLLAR contract. A ceremonial contract for him to ride off into the sunset as a Packer.

We can differ in opinions here - to me it's obvious. Gute doesn't like Jordy for whatever reason (possibly thinks he quit on the team when Aaron went down, which I tend to agree with... or declining skills... doesn't like his style of play... whatever) and as a result he will never be a Packer again. He's set his value with this team at a vet minimum as a result. Jordy won't put his body on the line in the slot for peanuts.

I've accepted this.

The next best options are camp battles with who we have and/or draft picks because we don't have much cap space and the available FA's don't offer much.

D

Deleted member 6794

If we were desperate for a slot receiver we would have made a stronger push for Humphries, Tate, Ellington or Beasley. Given our salary cap and need for someone to man the slot this year, either we do a camp battle and see who comes out on top, or we draft someone like Deebo, Brown, Isabella or Paris.

The Packers are in desperate need of a slot receiver. The team doesn't have sufficient cap space to work with to address the position in free agency though.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are in desperate need of a slot receiver. The team doesn't have sufficient cap space to work with to address the position in free agency though.
I'm not convinced the slot wr is the plan.... We kept mercedes Lewis.... The two TE set is a tough one to beat when you have two pro bowl calliber guys. Getting yhw runningbacks more involved in yhe passing game has been mentioned as well....between the two position groups, we could easily absorb the 10 looks a good slot wr gets every game. Imo.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not convinced the slot wr is the plan.... We kept mercedes Lewis.... The two TE set is a tough one to beat when you have two pro bowl calliber guys. Getting yhw runningbacks more involved in yhe passing game has been mentioned as well....between the two position groups, we could easily absorb the 10 looks a good slot wr gets every game. Imo.
Who are these two pro bowl TE's you are talking about, and could you tell them to join the Packers? We are seriously lacking at that position

D

Deleted member 6794

Unfortunately the Packers neither have a receiver best suited to line up in the slot nor a Pro Bowl tight end though.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who are these two pro bowl TE's you are talking about, and could you tell them to join the Packers? We are seriously lacking at that position
Jimmy graham and Mercedes Lewis arent pro bowl caliber? Jimmy graham obviously is.... Mercedes Lewis only had one pro bowl a while back. But he has also spent. His whole career with a dumpster fire of a QB. Blocking being one of his biggest strengths, doesn't figure into flashy pro bowl stats.... Actually his stats seem....weakish... But his play is legit. Imo.

But I hear you. Pro bowl caliber might be a tad of a stretch....

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Packers neither have a receiver best suited to line up in the slot nor a Pro Bowl tight end though.
One slot reciever doesn't fix the position. How is it we made it this far without one? Unless that is the plan?

Like I said. Getting the rb the ball has been mentioned as a priority this year.... Which is long over due... Adding a blocker like Lewis and the dump off option, to keep defenders honest. jones might be able to add to his great ypc. All ways a te like Lewis would help. Lewis and the rb are dump off options.....

We need to get the ball out of Rodgers hands quicker to protect our qb and. Let some pressure off of the oline. Having a couple dump off options will accomplish that. Among other things......

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your whole argument seems like a pretty big stretch.
Two good TEs is a tried and tested game plan. Took a number of average QBs and bland looking offenses to super bowl wins...

I prefer the power method over finesse. D line, oline, big CBs, big wrs. I think the two TE set is the way to go. Two extra blockers.... Two big bodied targets.... You have to defend both run and pass in a two TE set. And to take it a step farther, you need big dline to line up against the big front. And you need big defenders to line up against the big recieveing targets... That puts our wrs at an advantage. Big time...

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two good TEs is a tried and tested game plan. Took a number of average QBs and bland looking offenses to super bowl wins...

I prefer the power method over finesse. D line, oline, big CBs, big wrs. I think the two TE set is the way to go. Two extra blockers.... Two big bodied targets.... You have to defend both run and pass in a two TE set. And to take it a step farther, you need big dline to line up against the big front. And you need big defenders to line up against the big recieveing targets... That puts our wrs at an advantage. Big time...
I hear you, but after signing all these TE's last year I also thought we would get those two TE sets going. Unfortunately we got very mediocre production of that group.

If we can add one of the top 4 TE's (Im pretty high on Sternberger as well as Hock, Fan, Smith) we will have a very solid TE group imo and it will mitigate not having a top slot option. That being said, we could easily address both needs in the draft.

If we walk away with one of each of these groups I'd be extremely pleased:
TE: Hockenson, Smith, Fant, Sternberger
Slot WR: Brown, Samuel, Campbell, Isabella, Hardman

It would have to been done within the first 2 days of the drafts though, none of these guys is gonna make it to day 3

Reaction score
The contract I proposed was a ONE DOLLAR contract. A ceremonial contract for him to ride off into the sunset as a Packer.

We can differ in opinions here - to me it's obvious. Gute doesn't like Jordy for whatever reason (possibly thinks he quit on the team when Aaron went down, which I tend to agree with... or declining skills... doesn't like his style of play... whatever) and as a result he will never be a Packer again. He's set his value with this team at a vet minimum as a result. Jordy won't put his body on the line in the slot for peanuts.

I've accepted this.

The next best options are camp battles with who we have and/or draft picks because we don't have much cap space and the available FA's don't offer much.
Oh my bad I thought you said 1M. My apology.

Anyway, one thing I’m sure of, pride prevents more deals than $. The reasons you suggested for making a camp battle to replace Cobb is the same reasoning I would offer for signing Jordy to a 1 yr contract. That signing would say more about the strength of Gutes personality than all of the FA contracts combined. I believe Jordy can match or beat any production compared to any other prospect we currently have without stealing experience (nobody on this roster fits a Slot receiver anyway IMO)
1. He’d sign cheap to play with #12
2. he’d have instant chemistry
3. He’d have instant production and give us a low cost alternative to “win now”
4. He’d allow our group of novice Wideouts to mature.
5. We’d still have the option to keep 3 of MVS, EQ, Moore, Kumerow on the roster and practice squad the odd man out if needed.
6. It would defer the necessity to allocate a high draft cap expenditure that could be used at another position, such as OT, OG, TE, DL, Edge, Safety, CB, RB or a plethora of early needs. This leads to....7
7. We could still draft a slot receiver if needed day 3.
8. It covers the same ability to allow Jordy to retire with the respect and dignity he deserves leading to 9
9. It shows the compassion and resistance to man made pride that our GM would display in that decision. That strength takes intestinal fortitude which is has been lacking in this franchise since the Ron Wolf era.
10. It would be encouraging for other players not to “burn their bridges” with this organization when leaving.
11. If offers a wealth of experience to the young guys.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jimmy graham and Mercedes Lewis arent pro bowl caliber? Jimmy graham obviously is.... Mercedes Lewis only had one pro bowl a while back. But he has also spent. His whole career with a dumpster fire of a QB. Blocking being one of his biggest strengths, doesn't figure into flashy pro bowl stats.... Actually his stats seem....weakish... But his play is legit. Imo.

But I hear you. Pro bowl caliber might be a tad of a stretch....

No. Neither of them are currently Pro Bowl caliber players.

Latest posts