Remaining cap after today's moves

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as of right now...over the cap says: $23.2. spotrac says: $22. so you take away rookies etc it's 16-17-ish.
don't know how accurate they're numbers are as NOTHING is official yet. don't know the opt-outs etc so...it seems they're back-loaded pretty good. if anyone turns out to be good enough to keep after two years (and you hope they are of course) they'll surely be restructured...and/or rodgers' will be.

H

HardRightEdge

Another contract with the cap heavily backloaded. Silverstein's report of $17 million remaining in cap space jibes with overthecap's updated $16.6 mil.

Cap commitments for the 30 players currently under contract for 2020 according to overthecap now total $160 mil which is only $10 mil less than the current top 51. And those 30 players do not include Clark, Daniels, Bulaga, Martinez, Fackrell, Lowry and Tramon Williams.

Per overthecap, the cap hits for the first 4 FA signees goes from $23.4 mil in 2019 to $47.75 mil in 2020 to $54.9 mil in 2021.

So, who are the likely cap casualties next year? There are just a couple of candidates with appreciable cap savings, Graham at $8 mil and Lane Taylor at $4.5 mil if they last that long. That's about it.

The ages of the 4 signees say the target is a multi-year window. The 2020 cap says there's a heavier dose of "win now" in the formulation than I would have expected. Maybe we'll see more cap casualties now for cap carryover.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Regardless of how one evaluates (number of players above a certain cap number, number above a certain cap percentage), the gap between the haves and have-nots over the next couple of years is close to extreme.
I never look at it either of those ways.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the numbers changed again after all contract details gathered...

over the cap has us at $15.1...and spotrac has us at $15.3.
so...after rookies and whatnot it's probably $10ish (unless they already factor-in that stuff which i doubt).

H

HardRightEdge

the numbers changed again after all contract details gathered...

over the cap has us at $15.1...and spotrac has us at $15.3.
so...after rookies and whatnot it's probably $10ish (unless they already factor-in that stuff which i doubt).
That does not include Allison (assuming the tender sticks) @ $2 mil or Lewis @ let's say $1mil.

That's a $3 mil subtraction.
Draft: $4.5 mil
Players 52 and 53: $1 mil
Practice Squad: $1.4 mil

That takes it down to about a $5 mil.

How much do want to set aside for PUP and IR replacements? Woud you limit yourself to minimum rookie salary replacements and practice squad promotions or might you consider more expensive street vets or a waiver wire pickups? I plug $3 mil into this contingency bucket. If it is not all used then what remians rolls over to 2020.

That takes the remaining usable cap space down to about $2 mil.

Right now, adding players at $570,000 or below will have no or minimal affect since we're working off the Top 51. Adding a player at that price just rolls off the 51st. player ($570,000 currently), a one-for-one replacment in the cap hit calualtion.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That does not include Allison (assuming the tender sticks) @ $2 mil or Lewis @ let's say $1mil.

That's a $3 mil subtraction.
Draft: $4.5 mil
Players 52 and 53: $1 mil
Practice Squad: $1.4 mil

That takes it down to about a $5 mil.

How much do want to set aside for PUP and IR replacements? Woud you limit yourself to minimum rookie salary replacements and practice squad promotions or might you consider more expensive street vets or a waiver wire pickups? I plug $3 mil into this contingency bucket. If it is not all used then what remians rolls over to 2020.

That takes the remaining usable cap space down to about $2 mil.

Right now, adding players at $570,000 or below will have no or minimal affect since we're working off the Top 51. Adding a player at that price just rolls off the 51st. player ($570,000 currently), a one-for-one replacment in the cap hit calualtion.
must not include marcedes lewis either...who they're supposedly bringing back. i don't see how they can avoid another cut or two...crosby.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I fully expect the Packers to pick up enough cap space to be able to make injury replacement signings during the season by cutting a veteran or 2 before the regular season. Which veteran(s) that will be will be determined by the development of some of the younger guys. Could be any of Bulaga, Crosby, Daniels, Graham, etc.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fully expect the Packers to pick up enough cap space to be able to make injury replacement signings during the season by cutting a veteran or 2 before the regular season. Which veteran(s) that will be will be determined by the development of some of the younger guys. Could be any of Bulaga, Crosby, Daniels, Graham, etc.
very true. i was thinking about the immediate future and any moves therein.
(don't think i've ever used the word "therein" before. lol)

H

HardRightEdge

must not include marcedes lewis either...who they're supposedly bringing back. i don't see how they can avoid another cut or two...crosby.
I cited Lewis in those numbers @ $1 mil for one year at the vet minimum. The vet minimum for 10+ years of service is $1.03 mil to be precise. I suppose it could be more. If so, make that additional subtraction.

If one does not look past 2019, it doesn't look like the Packers need to cut anybody to clear cap space provided any additional spend over the $570,000 51st. player is kept to a tight minimum. If you look at 2020, though, the picture changes dramatically.

H

HardRightEdge

You have to look at which of those guys have roster bonuses coming due in the next couple of days and the cost of those bonuses. You wouldn't sit on Graham as some kind of insurance policy against failing to replace him in the draft because that $5.3 mil roster bonus is simply too high of a premium to pay for that insurance. If he's around to earn that bonus, then the plan is to keep him for 2019.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I am sure Gute is keeping an eye on ways to improve the team between now and the draft. He actually might even be in "TT Mode" and just looking for great bargains that could improve the team. As much as I want Breeland and Mo Wilkerson back, maybe even sign Zach Brown, I would be just fine going into the draft as we currently sit. I think the defense got a lot better in the last few days and the draft is going to further strengthen it and the offense.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You have to look at which of those guys have roster bonues coming due in the next couple of days and the cost of those bonuses. You wouldn't sit on Graham as some kind of insurance policy against failing to replace him in the draft because that $5.3 mil roster bonus is simply too high of a premium to pay for that insurance. If he's around to earn that bonus, then the plan is to keep him for 2019.

Very true and probably shouldn't have put Graham in the group of pre-53 man roster cuts.

Just looking at the list of Roster bonuses VS amount saved, probably Bulaga, Crosby and Daniels gives you the most bang for your buck.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah, I threw out my word of the day calendar on January 5th when the word was obfuscate. Who wants to sound like a magniloquent twit anyway.

H

HardRightEdge

Very true and probably shouldn't have put Graham in the group of pre-53 man roster cuts.

Just looking at the list of Roster bonuses VS amount saved, probably Bulaga, Crosby and Daniels gives you the most bang for your buck.
Right. Those 3 guys don't have "league year" roster bonuses according to overthecap. There is no advantage to cutting them now vs. final cutdowns in the week prior to opening day except for the $750,000 in workout bonuses between those 3 players.

It is certainly possible the Packers are looking to replace one or more in the draft. And they would have all of camp and preseason to evaluate whether such projected replacements are ready for prime time.

Why replace them at all if the team is under the cap? Because the cap situation for 2020 is onerous. Cutting one or more of those guys before opening day puts cap in the bucket for carryover to 2020.

There is one downside to waiting until the last minute to make these kinds of cuts. You might earn the reputation of being a **** among players and agents which makes the road ahead that much harder. Why? You have deprived long-standing core players, members of the "family" as front offices like to say, from latching on somewhere else at maximum value. There is a second round of free agency after the draft where vets being replaced by draftees and cut at that time have a good chance of landing somewhere else at decent pay once teams assess their remaining needs. Kicking these kinds of players to the street days before opening day paints you as a player-unfriendly organization unless some character issue flares up or they start making contract extension demands. You can probably get away with it sparingly, but you would not want to make a habit of it.

Kickers probably don't count since they are not football players. ;)

H

HardRightEdge

Am I being a bad influence? ;)

Somebody tossed out an "obtuse" recently. It might have been "deliberately obtuse" which is even better. That might have been Dante.

That's a good expression to have in the verbal tookbox. In these times, and I'm not talking about just a football forum, it seems to be hiding under every rock. :whistling:

Of course in a world drowning in texts and tweets, who has time for all that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There is one downside to waiting until the last minute to make these kinds of cuts. You might earn the reputation of being a **** among players and agents which makes the road ahead that much harder. Why? You have deprived long-standing core players, members of the "family" as front offices like to say, from latching on somewhere else at maximum value.

I kind of thought that way several years ago, but let's face it, the NFL is a business and both sides of it, the teams and the players, make decisions which are best for themselves. Cutting players like Sitton and Jordy at the last minute may have ticked a few people off, but at the end of the day, they were sound business decisions. I've watched enough players make selfish decisions in the last year, that I don't have an issue with teams putting their best interest first either.

H

HardRightEdge

I kind of thought that way several years ago, but let's face it, the NFL is a business and both sides of it, the teams and the players, make decisions which are best for themselves. Cutting players like Sitton and Jordy at the last minute may have ticked a few people off, but at the end of the day, they were sound business decisions. I've watched enough players make selfish decisions in the last year, that I don't have an issue with teams putting their best interest first either.
Nelson was not cut at the last minute, March 14 or thereabouts, and he was a model citizen worthy of some consideration. Sitton was cut at the last minute, but he "went against the familiy" ;) complaining about not getting an extension and stirring up crap about it in the locker room. Unless you are Bell, Brown, OBJ or some like prima donna, or even Sitton on a smaller scale, complaining about money and throwing various and sundry hissy fits, players understand that can get you fired or traded if you create a big enough distraction, as do their agents.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Nelson was not cut at the last minute, March 14 or thereabouts, and he was a model citizen worthy of some consideration. Sitton was cut at the last minute, but he "went against the familiy" ;) complaining about not getting an extension and stirring up crap about it in the locker room. Unless you are Bell, Brown, OBJ or some like prima donna, or even Sitton on a smaller scale, complaining about money and throwing various and sundry hissy fits, players understand that can get you fired or traded if you create a big enough distraction, as do their agents.

Yup my bad on Jordy, forgot it was around this time of year last year. Still doesn't change my opinion on making solid business decisions at anytime of the year. Sitton's cut had something to do with his attitude, but I also think it was made very easy by the fact that Lane Taylor proved he could play left G and the amount of money saved by releasing Sitton.