Relax people! It's only one preseason game

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez, you'd think by reading PF that we're doomed.

Our D is solid, except for SS. Our DL is excellent. Our LBs are excellent. Our starting CBs are excellent.

Our OL is getting better. Favre will be back with a fury this year and will throw for 3800+ yards and 20+ TDs, with less INTs.

Barring injuries, our RBs will be ok. Herron will remain our 3rd down back because he's a good blocker. Morency and Jackson will split carries. Our running game will be fine.

I don't expect any playoff wins, but the team is young and building. I foresee a solid team in the next few years.

I don't understand all the Favre bashing. So, he failed to move the chains in 7 passes in a preseason game. Big f**** deal. You all should be happy our D looked as good as it did. And Jenkins is going to the Pro Bowl this year, along with AJ Hawk, Donald Driver, and Aaron Kampman. And hopefully one of our CBs unless we get robbed again.

I'm predicting 8-8 or even 9-7. This is significant improvement because we have a much harder schedule this year. And we won't get shut out this year, but we'll shut out at least 2 opponents. Unlike last year, we'll have more PF than PA. That's my prediction.

Next year will be even better and hopefully we win a playoff game or 2.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombie:

Thank you for this post. Because you pointed out some positives. There are positives.

I have seen no Farve Bashing. However, there have been some posts about the reality of an aging superstar and how every athlete will decline.

NOT GETTING OLD IS NOT AN OPTION FOR A FOOTBALL PLAYER.

Not getting old was not an option for Bart Starr, Ray Nitschke, Willie Davis, James Lofton, Clarke Hinkle. Not losing a step and speed was not an option for Reggie White.

NOW! GETTING OLD IS GOOD FOR THE FRONT OFFICE.

Getting old was great for Vince because he learned and always applied that learning with no diminishing skills because of aging.

Getting older is better for the front office and coaches..

Mike Holmgren got better with age and Brett got worse. The reason is, Mike's talent is his mind and Brett's is his body. The body declines but the mind continues to get better with age and experience.

Ted Thompson is the best young team member on the Packers as far as their long term success is concerned.

As of this moment I would rank Ted as one of the Top Five G.M."s in the NFL

The reason is. is that Ted is thinking beyond what Brett will contribute to this organization in 2007.

T.T. is a man with a mission, and as for the average fan? Well the average fan can not look farther than the next 16 games.

An older mind is a wiser mind and an older arm is a less effective arm.

As of this moment August 15th the year of our Lord 2007.... T.T.'s performance is far more important to the Packers then Brett Farve's performance is.

R.P.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
to me preseason dose not mean a lot. if the packers do bad in preseason it dose not mean that we will be bad in the regular season. look at the colts, they won like only 3 preseason games in the past 3 years and the raiders went 4-0 last preaseason. their are a lot more examples, just look and you guys will see what i mean.

BTW, just my :twocents:

Reaction score
McCarthy said the first O was unprepared because they didn't game plan the plays specifically for the Steelers.

They planned to run the plays they needed to work on.

As Zombieslayer said, let's not put too much stock into this game. In about a couple of weeks, about 30 or so of the players that played 80% of this game will be cut.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez, you'd think by reading PF that we're doomed.

Our D is solid, except for SS. Our DL is excellent. Our LBs are excellent. Our starting CBs are excellent.

Our OL is getting better. Favre will be back with a fury this year and will throw for 3800+ yards and 20+ TDs, with less INTs.

Barring injuries, our RBs will be ok. Herron will remain our 3rd down back because he's a good blocker. Morency and Jackson will split carries. Our running game will be fine.

I don't expect any playoff wins, but the team is young and building. I foresee a solid team in the next few years.

I don't understand all the Favre bashing. So, he failed to move the chains in 7 passes in a preseason game. Big f**** deal. You all should be happy our D looked as good as it did. And Jenkins is going to the Pro Bowl this year, along with AJ Hawk, Donald Driver, and Aaron Kampman. And hopefully one of our CBs unless we get robbed again.

I'm predicting 8-8 or even 9-7. This is significant improvement because we have a much harder schedule this year. And we won't get shut out this year, but we'll shut out at least 2 opponents. Unlike last year, we'll have more PF than PA. That's my prediction.

Next year will be even better and hopefully we win a playoff game or 2.

I can't speak on other people, but my message was not to bash Favre.
Saying he isn't the player he once was..is not bashing. Saying that Aaron's closing the gap is not bashing. Saying he had one bad game is not bashing and is NOT condeming him for the rest of the season. HE IS going to be the QB for this year and that's not someting that's being shortsighted..at least not in my posts or opinion.

You don't have to be a rah rah hulkamania Favre forever blind poster to be a Favre fan. And just because you critique a player doesn't mean you hate them. You can critique a player you support cuz you went them to get better.

THERE ARE A LOT OF HYPERSENSITIVE FAVRE FANS IN THIS FORUM...and they draw huge conclusions and jump to being defensive, and cannibalizing on other packer fans and *GASP* mention any other QB other than him...

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THERE ARE A LOT OF HYPERSENSITIVE FAVRE FANS IN THIS FORUM...and they draw huge conclusions and jump to being defensive, and cannibalizing on other packer fans and *GASP* mention any other QB other than him...

Understatement of the year man :D

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Zombie:

Thank you for this post. Because you pointed out some positives. There are positives.

I have seen no Farve Bashing. However, there have been some posts about the reality of an aging superstar and how every athlete will decline.

Not getting old was not an option for Bart Starr, Ray Nitschke, Willie Davis, James Lofton, Clarke Hinkle. Not losing a step and speed was not an option for Reggie White.

Getting old was great for Vince because he learned and always applied that learning with no diminishing skills because of aging.

Mike Holmgren got better with age and Brett got worse. The reason is, Mike's talent is his mind and Brett's is his body. The body declines but the mind continues to get better with age and experience.

Ted Thompson is the best young team member on the Packers as far as their long term success is concerned.

The reason is. is that Ted is thinking beyond what Brett will contribute to this organization in 2007.

T.T. is a man with a mission, and as for the average fan? Well the average fan can not look farther than the next 16 games.

As of this moment August 15th the year of our Lord 2007.... T.T.'s performance is far more important to the Packers then Brett Farve's performance is.

R.P.

I completely agree with you

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Zombie:

R.P.

Now you see, RP, the shoe is on the other foot.

To me, this post is as much rampant homerism for Ted Thompson, as any post here has been homerism for Favre.

How do you know Ted Thompson is a "top five" GM in the NFL?

You do not know that for sure, you just belive it because you are a Packer fan. Now he may turn out to be just that, but right now, you do not know it for certain. You are projecting it. Wishing for it. Hoping. But it is not a reality yet.

The jury is still out on Ted Thompson. He really hasn't proven anything yet in terms of wins and losses (always what it comes down to). I think you've fallen in love with him, and his philosophy, but let's be honest. That philosophy hasn't begun to bear fruit, so it is just a wish fulfillment fantasy right now.

R.P. I would like to answer this question, if you would. Honestly.

Is Ted Thompson a builder of championship teams, or just a collector of talent?

And an "older mind is not necessarily a wiser mind", as you put it.

As evidence of this, I submit to you, one Al Davis.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GAME ONE:

Token start by front line players. I think the only reason they play any is to keep them focused more during the week leading in. Get them in and get them out before anybody get's hurt.

GAME TWO:

See game one only leave the starters in a couple more series and look a little deeper in the playbook.

GAME THREE:

A practice run for the regular season. Run practices and prepare like it's going to be during the real football season as a dry run to get more prepared for how it will be. The most PT the regulars will see in pre season.

GAME FOUR:

Nut cutting time for those on the line. The young guys get one last chance to make the team. No way they risk getting starters hurt here right before the gun goes off.

I know most here know all of this but for some that haven't really looked into what happens in pre season this is pretty much what it's about.

I know it sounds strange but a team could lose all four of these games BUT look very good in the first half of that third game both offensively and defensively and feel good going into the regular season.

That's really the only time in the entire pre-season that they are looking to find where they are at as a team. The rest of the time they are looking at players and how certain things they are installing works in different situations.

Like Zombie says Chill. It's the pre-season. Let it serve it's purpose and run it's course.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Preseason is about the young guys getting good looks at everything. Nothing more and nothing less.

Example of why preseason is practically meaningless

2006 Oakland Raiders - 4-1
2006 Indianapolis Colts 1-3

Colts go on and win the Super Bowl.
Raiders select Jamarcus Russell with the #1 overall pick in the Draft.

However pre season is a good time to see guys like Rodgers, Jones, and Jackson gel but as far as any veterans go or any big plays go, your not going to see it. McCarthy all but said that he calls games differently in the pre season. Do you really think he is that stupid to call plays like he did against Pittsburgh? I sure hope not and I'm pretty sure he isn't. He was seeing how the offensive line would handle the 3-4 in pass protection because let's face it. Last year the Jets, Patriots and Chargers (in pre season) ate them alive with the 3-4 pass rush. I'd say we saw an improvement against the Steelers but nothing to get excited about or anything as once again, it was just pre season.

I actually care about Aaron Rodgers more in pre season than I do Brett Favre.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How did this degenerate into a TT thread? I was talking about the players. I'm saying how much I like this year's team, and all of a sudden, TT comes up. TT is off-topic.

If you are referring to me as the hypersensitive Favre fan, I'm agreeing with John Madden, who won a Super Bowl and knows the NFL better than any of us. Madden's '08 rated him an 89, ranked #10 out of 32 starting QBs. So, no, he's no longer a top 5 QB. But I never said that. #10 out of 32 is still pretty dang good. Is that hypersensitive? Well, I think it's neither optimistic nor pessimistic, but realistic. I'm just tired of hearing about his age. Pardon the pun, but talk about Favre's age is getting old.

For the record, I am a Packer fan. I've been a Packer fan before probably half of you were born. And 50 years from now, if I'm still alive, I'll still be a Packer fan. I saw another thread where people who like Brett Favre were called Favre fans first and Packer fans second. WTF? Aren't I allowed to like the QB who brought the Lombardi back to Green Bay?

I just want to see the Packers win as many games as possible. Right now, Favre is our best QB, and the best players give us the best chance to win. Maybe next year Rodgers will be our best QB and I'll be behind Rodgers 100%. Or maybe Favre will surpass everyone's expectations and throw for 30+ TDs and Rodgers will be 2nd string one more year. Who knows? Anyone who says they know the future, back away from very slowly.

The whole point of this thread was to say we won against the Steelers in a meaningless preseason game and it's nothing to worry about. Everything will be ok in Packerland in '07. That's what I've been trying to say, but apparently people read deeper into it.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How did this degenerate into a TT thread? I was talking about the players. I'm saying how much I like this year's team, and all of a sudden, TT comes up. TT is off-topic.

Welcome to Packerforum.com

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you are referring to me as the hypersensitive Favre fan, I'm agreeing with John Madden, who won a Super Bowl and knows the NFL better than any of us. Madden's '08 rated him an 89, ranked #10 out of 32 starting QBs. So, no, he's no longer a top 5 QB. But I never said that. #10 out of 32 is still pretty dang good. Is that hypersensitive? Well, I think it's neither optimistic nor pessimistic, but realistic. I'm just tired of hearing about his age. Pardon the pun, but talk about Favre's age is getting old.

For the record, I am a Packer fan. I've been a Packer fan before probably half of you were born. And 50 years from now, if I'm still alive, I'll still be a Packer fan. I saw another thread where people who like Brett Favre were called Favre fans first and Packer fans second. WTF? Aren't I allowed to like the QB who brought the Lombardi back to Green Bay?

I just want to see the Packers win as many games as possible. Right now, Favre is our best QB, and the best players give us the best chance to win. Maybe next year Rodgers will be our best QB and I'll be behind Rodgers 100%. Or maybe Favre will surpass everyone's expectations and throw for 30+ TDs and Rodgers will be 2nd string one more year. Who knows? Anyone who says they know the future, back away from very slowly.

The whole point of this thread was to say we won against the Steelers in a meaningless preseason game and it's nothing to worry about. Everything will be ok in Packerland in '07. That's what I've been trying to say, but apparently people read deeper into it.

I'm thinking John Madden probably doesn't personally assign the ratings for the roster. Maybe he skims through them though, and offers some suggestions. I'd doubt even that.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thinking John Madden probably doesn't personally assign the ratings for the roster. Maybe he skims through them though, and offers some suggestions. I'd doubt even that.

My former boss worked on Madden's old house in Blackhawk and from how he described him (he didn't like him), Madden is involved in everything. So, my guess is he is involved and oversees at least a lot of the "skill positions."

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Preseason games are meaningless. We all know that. But, it sure does help when you look good in them.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Preseason is about the young guys getting good looks at everything. Nothing more and nothing less.

Example of why preseason is practically meaningless

2006 Oakland Raiders - 4-1
2006 Indianapolis Colts 1-3

Colts go on and win the Super Bowl.
Raiders select Jamarcus Russell with the #1 overall pick in the Draft.

However pre season is a good time to see guys like Rodgers, Jones, and Jackson gel but as far as any veterans go or any big plays go, your not going to see it. McCarthy all but said that he calls games differently in the pre season. Do you really think he is that stupid to call plays like he did against Pittsburgh? I sure hope not and I'm pretty sure he isn't. He was seeing how the offensive line would handle the 3-4 in pass protection because let's face it. Last year the Jets, Patriots and Chargers (in pre season) ate them alive with the 3-4 pass rush. I'd say we saw an improvement against the Steelers but nothing to get excited about or anything as once again, it was just pre season.

I actually care about Aaron Rodgers more in pre season than I do Brett Favre.

This is a good quote to remember about all of the pre-season. That goes for the Pittsburgh game and the game where some here are ready to answer the call for the Super Bowl after the Seattle game.

A good marker on how good this team will be will be at the bye week, as a slew of tough games will be behind them.

...and of course, December, where, like September in baseball, the winners are seperated from the rest of the teams.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If one more person says people are predicting a superbowl based on the seattle game, when nobody is(seriously), I am going to freak out.

Being happy over good play, individual growth(bigby,jones), and an overall improvement from the previous week is NOT predicting a superbowl.

I guess GB fans aren't allowed to enjoy anything.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll add to Trom's note on this, when first teams are going up against first teams, and the Packers perform well, yes, it makes me hopeful. for the rest of the game when second stringers (and deeper) are all over the field, you start looking at individual performance. So, sure you can't judge a team by their preseason record, but after having watched our two preseason games this year, I (and many others) are hopeful for the Pack this year and more than we were prior to preseason. So take your overinflated negativity elsewhere. We're going to enjoy what the Pack is doing right.

Members online

Latest posts