Reid dismisses reports that McNabb's unhappy

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL.com wire reports

PHILADELPHIA (Jan. 23, 2007) -- Less than a week after he canceled Donovan McNabb's news conference, coach Andy Reid dismissed reports that his star quarterback is unhappy with the organization.

"I think that people are making a lot of things up here that aren't true," Reid said in a conference call. "That's how it works. I just hate to see people making things up that aren't really true."

One report, citing unidentified sources close to McNabb, said the five-time Pro Bowl quarterback is upset Reid wouldn't allow him to travel on the team plane for the Eagles' playoff game at New Orleans. Since Reid came to Philadelphia in 1999, he's had a rule that states players on injured reserve don't travel with the team.

The newspaper report also said McNabb may feel others prefer backup Jeff Garcia to start over him, and it claimed he's bothered by the way the media and fans have portrayed his mother, Wilma, since her comments that watching the Eagles win without her son is "bittersweet."

"He knows what's the truth and what isn't the truth. I'm not worried about that," Reid said.

As for the decision to cancel the news conference, Reid insisted it was his choice because he wanted McNabb to focus on his rehab for a knee injury sustained Nov. 19.

McNabb hasn't spoken at length to reporters since he tore a knee ligament in a loss to Tennessee in Week 11. At the time, McNabb was among the league leaders in yards passing (2,647), touchdown passes (18) and passer rating (95.5). The Eagles were 5-5 with McNabb starting and went 6-2 behind Garcia, including two playoff games.

The 36-year-old Garcia had 1,309 yards passing, 10 TDs and only two interceptions in the regular season while leading the Eagles to five straight wins and their fifth NFC East title in six years. Garcia is an unrestricted free agent, but said he's willing to return in a backup role.

McNabb has led the Eagles to four NFC championship games and a Super Bowl loss during his eight seasons in Philadelphia.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It has to be hard watching your backup play well and lead your team into the playoffs. McNabb is one QB, no matter if the Eagles are playing the Pack or someone else, that I love watching. I don't see the Eagles starting Garcia over McNabb as long as McNabb can stay healthy. I just think that no one was expecting Garcia to play the way he did, so everyone got excited. Garcia should stay a backup.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts