Reggie Ragland

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like that he has Ragland dropping to the Packers but don't agree that we need a run stuffer inside.
why would any team want to stop the run inside? I disagree. Our Dline compensated for a lot this year. We had the beef. With Mathews inside, and scheme to help compensate for lack of talent at ilb... The numbers might show we did OK. If we were to move Mathews back outside full time. Mix it up with our Dline...... I just dont see us being able to lean on our ILBs at any point in a game.

D

Deleted member 6794

why would any team want to stop the run inside?

I really have no idea what you´re trying to say. The inside linebackers are a big part of the run defense but the Packers have guys capable of doing that in Barrington and Ryan. They need to add someone capable of covering running back and tight ends at the position though.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess my shock and sarcasm didnt come through?
So my understanding is that you think the ILBs we have now are good? Or are good at stopping the run? i disagree.

I agree Ryan looked like he had potential for a rookie. But we need much more talent at the ilb positions.

D

Deleted member 6794

I guess my shock and sarcasm didnt come through?
So my understanding is that you think the ILBs we have now are good? Or are good at stopping the run? i disagree.

I agree Ryan looked like he had potential for a rookie. But we need much more talent at the ilb positions.

There´s absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Packers are in dire need of an upgrade at ILB. Most importantly we need a guy capable of covering RBs and TEs though. I would be OK, not excited, about either Barrington or Ryan starting at one spot.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what do you think of Ragland in GB? He comes from Alabama where he played behind a dominant D front. That may have contributed to his dominance. Is he a plug in difference maker?

D

Deleted member 6794

what do you think of Ragland in GB? He comes from Alabama where he played behind a dominant D front. That may have contributed to his dominance. Is he a plug in difference maker?

I would like to have Ragland end up with the Packers. He´s capable of turning into a 3-down linebacker in the NFL, something the Packers are desperately in need of. It´s possible he will be off the board by the time the Packers pick in the first round though.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you add Damon Harrison and go get Ragland (more than likely trade up) the Packers D just got exponentially better across the board.

D

Deleted member 6794

If you add Damon Harrison and go get Ragland (more than likely trade up) the Packers D just got exponentially better across the board.

Agreed, but after re-signing Guion I don´t expect Thompson to spend on the defensive line in free agency.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, but after re-signing Guion I don´t expect Thompson to spend on the defensive line in free agency.

But see that's the problem right? I mean, Guion is a fine player and I'm fine that he re-signed him but they only gave him $500K guaranteed for a reason. That signing should have little to no bearing on the rest of the offseason. He's a piece not a guy I want to rely on. 2 moves that take your D from top 20 overall to top 10 overall are Harrison and Ragland, the rest of the off season is icing on the cake.

Clay and Peppers go back outside full time, Ragland and one of the group of Ryan/Barrington/jim bob/joe blow Daniels/Harrison/Guion on the line with that young secondary I mean it's right there. This is what frustrates me as a Packers fan.

D

Deleted member 6794

But see that's the problem right? I mean, Guion is a fine player and I'm fine that he re-signed him but they only gave him $500K guaranteed for a reason. That signing should have little to no bearing on the rest of the offseason. He's a piece not a guy I want to rely on.

The Packers only gave Guion $500K in guaranteed money because of his arrest last offseason and to protect them in case he has another incident off the field. But as long as he stays out of trouble until the start of the season he will count $3.5 million towards the cap in 2016 and I don´t see Thompson spending on another DL.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fortunately Ragland is more than just a run stuffer.

I'm a diehard Alabama fan and watch all of their games. I fully expect Ragland to run in the high 4.7's or low 4'8's in his 40 time. He's not the sideline to sideline ILB that some think he is. He is a big guy. He is 6'2 260 (gets down to 250 at times) - However, he is very tough. Played the entire second half against LSU in 2014 with a broken hand and racked up 18 tackles. He is a fiery leader too. He also lines up at OLB and rushes the passer. This is where Alabama put him on 3rd down a lot in College. They'd bring in Rashaan Evans as the Nickle/Dime ILB and move Ragland to OLB to rush the passer a lot (or he'd blitz from the A gap) and yeah, he'd drop back into coverage some too.

But his strength is very much at stopping the run. He is a A+ run stopper. He is a man's man.

I think he'll struggle in the NFL with shifty RB's out of the backfield during passing situations and certain TE's.

Honestly, I think Ragland is a 2nd round talent. Hes good, but hes limited.

If we signed someone like Travathen and then drafted Ragland, that'd be perfect. But Ragland wont cure what ails us at the ILB position completely if we just add him and only him at the position (ie we'd get better against the run but we'd stay status quo against the pass)

But hey, sometimes you have to draft what is available to you. If Ragland is there at #27, I wouldn't be mad if we drafted him. However, I wouldn't trade up too far for him assuming TT/MM really like him. Reason I say that is because I really do believe that he is a 2nd round talent.

He reminds me of Brandon Spikes. But the difference is, Ragland is a better leader and can do a bit more than just stop the run (rushing the passer)

Last edited:

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a diehard Alabama fan and watch all of their games. I fully expect Ragland to run in the high 4.7's or low 4'8's in his 40 time. He's not the sideline to sideline ILB that some think he is. He is a big guy. He is 6'2 260 (gets down to 250 at times) - However, he is very tough. Played the entire second half against LSU in 2014 with a broken hand and racked up 18 tackles. He is a fiery leader too. He also lines up at OLB and rushes the passer. This is where Alabama put him on 3rd down a lot in College. They'd bring in Rashaan Evans as the Nickle/Dime ILB and move Ragland to OLB to rush the passer a lot (or he'd blitz from the A gap) and yeah, he'd drop back into coverage some too.

But his strength is very much at stopping the run. He is a A+ run stopper. He is a man's man.

I think he'll struggle in the NFL with shifty RB's out of the backfield during passing situations and certain TE's.

Honestly, I think Ragland is a 2nd round talent. Hes good, but hes limited.

If we signed someone like Travathen and then drafted Ragland, that'd be perfect. But Ragland wont cure what ails us at the ILB position completely if we just add him and only him at the position (ie we'd get better against the run but we'd stay status quo against the pass)

But hey, sometimes you have to draft what is available to you. If Ragland is there at #27, I wouldn't be mad if we drafted him. However, I wouldn't trade up too far for him assuming TT/MM really like him. Reason I say that is because I really do believe that he is a 2nd round talent.

He reminds me of Brandon Spikes. But the difference is, Ragland is a better leader and can do a bit more than just stop the run (Ragland is also a good pass rusher)

that's some interesting insight there, chief. will be interesting to see his combine numbers for sure.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
If he is on the board, I would consider it a done deal. If the Packers walk away from this draft with Reggie Ragland or Darron Lee, there should be some VERY happy Packers fans.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And how is this year different? ;)
The year before last we were a last 5 min. Breakdown from making it to the SB. Last year we all knew this team is good but is a few key positions away from really moving into being great. We needed a TE that could take the middle of the field and a ILB that could really make an impact and move Clay Mathews to the edge and get pressure on the QB. We are a few pieces away from being a real SB contender

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Clay Matthews can just about play anywhere. But really would love to have an ILB at the position in the draft.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's some interesting insight there, chief. will be interesting to see his combine numbers for sure.

I agree that a Ragland/Trevathan combination would be a huge upgrade for the Packers. Then again, I'm still holding out for Jaylon Smith to be there late in the 1st round due to his injury.

D

Deleted member 6794

The year before last we were a last 5 min. Breakdown from making it to the SB. Last year we all knew this team is good but is a few key positions away from really moving into being great. We needed a TE that could take the middle of the field and a ILB that could really make an impact and move Clay Mathews to the edge and get pressure on the QB. We are a few pieces away from being a real SB contender

The Packers have had only a couple of positions in need of an upgrade for the last few seasons but yet Thompson mostly hasn't used free agency to address those. Once again I'm hoping he will change his approach this year but I'm not counting on it.

H

HardRightEdge

Clay Matthews can just about play anywhere.
That seemed to be a fair conclusion after the first 4 or 5 games last season. In the final analysis of the season, that would be a hard conclusion to draw.

Didn't he go 2 consecutive games, playing mostly at ILB, without making a tackle? That's nearly inconceivable. We also saw him get beat badly a couple of times when isolated in the passing game.

It is hard not to conclude that Matthews at ILB is a misallocated resource.

H

HardRightEdge

2014 was remarkably injury free so the poor roster depth was not exposed. 2015 was a different story in that the depth, or lack thereof, had to be tapped, particularly on offense. I don't see a significant difference in the overall talent level at the end of 2014 vs. the end of 2015.

The defense was meaningfully improved in 2015 while the offense struggled in the absence of Nelson, Cobb at times and at the end, Montgomery, a walking wounded O-Line and an out-of-shape Lacy.

Depth remains an issue, when you consider the free agents that are unsigned and the players behind them.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The modern NFL ILB is more of a tweener than a true plugger these days. Having two tweeners wouldn't be a bad idea either. Having two fast ILB's makes your entire defense look and play fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts