Reggie McKenzie

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I am really suspicious that the Mack trade, Cooper trade, and McKenzie firing all tie back at least in part to Mark Davis not having enough cash flow to keep them. He's the poorest NFL owner, it's the lowest revenue franchise, they have to build a new stadium, and his HC got a 100M$ contract.

D

Deleted member 6794

Naw. You're right.

Gute wouldn't want to hire somebody that he worked under for almost a decade, who has vast experience in the game, all because he's threatened by that experience and doesn't want his ideas to get diluted.

If that's who you think Gute is, then you must think Gute will be an awful GM.

Just another example of it being absolutely impossible to have a reasonable conversation with you. For all I know Gutekunst might have already called McKenzie to offer him a job but there are several possible reasons he will never pick up the phone to do so.

Stop acting as you know for a fact that the Packers will offer Reggie a job though.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McKenzie was the director of player personnel as well as the director of football operations with the Packers. I'm not convinced Murphy and Gutekunst would feel comfortable about once again hiring him to a similar position though.

Why not? If he's best guy for the job and they don't hire him because they aren't comfortable with having such a qualified guy then maybe they aren't the right men for the job

D

Deleted member 6794

Why not? If he's best guy for the job and they don't hire him because they aren't comfortable with having such a qualified guy then maybe they aren't the right men for the job

Just read the discussion within this thread on why it might be possible the Packers aren't interested in bringing McKenzie back.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just another example of it being absolutely impossible to have a reasonable conversation with you. For all I know Gutekunst might have already called McKenzie to offer him a job but there are several possible reasons he will never pick up the phone to do so.

Stop acting as you know for a fact that the Packers will offer Reggie a job though.

You're not understanding. And many people here have conversations with me without issue.

I have not said that the Packers will offer Reggie. I'm not acting like I know they will.

All I have said is that the idea Gute wouldn't want Reggie back because he's worried about his role being diluted, because he's worried about too much talent below him, is preposterous. If you want to take that, and make it seem like I'm saying "The Packers will hire him!" then that is on your lack of comprehension, not mine.

And I'll say it again. If the only reason Gute wouldn't bring Reggie back was because he was threatened by Reggie's capabilities, which is exactly what you surmised, then Gute is not the right guy for the job and won't do well here.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
P

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read from Acme Packers site that the Packers are will be hiring Milt Hendrickson to a "major front office position". That would appear to me and Reggie won't be coming here.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am really suspicious that the Mack trade, Cooper trade, and McKenzie firing all tie back at least in part to Mark Davis not having enough cash flow to keep them. He's the poorest NFL owner, it's the lowest revenue franchise, they have to build a new stadium, and his HC got a 100M$ contract.
Very good points and may explain the trades involving Mack, and to some extent Cooper. That said, Cooper never seemed to connect well with Carr, and now he’s lighting up Dallas. But yeah, when you tie up $100 mil in a HC, and I believe that is all guaranteed, cash gets scarce fast. The Raiders now have to rebuild, whether that was Gruden’s intention or not. I think he wants his own QB, and hey, he’s got a lot of time and a lot of draft picks.

Firing McKenzie was probably necessary becasue they had to fire someone, and it wasn’t going to be Gruden. I think the Raiders will look back and wish they had kept Reggie.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're not understanding. And many people here have conversations with me without issue.

I have not said that the Packers will offer Reggie. I'm not acting like I know they will.

All I have said is that the idea Gute wouldn't want Reggie back because he's worried about his role being diluted, because he's worried about too much talent below him, is preposterous. If you want to take that, and make it seem like I'm saying "The Packers will hire him!" then that is on your lack of comprehension, not mine.

And I'll say it again. If the only reason Gute wouldn't bring Reggie back was because he was threatened by Reggie's capabilities, which is exactly what you surmised, then Gute is not the right guy for the job and won't do well here.
I understand your points. Gluten would not be threatened, and would probably be happy, to have Reggie back. I’d certainly be happy if he returned. I think he was a scapegoat for Davis. I also think Reggie will land another GM gig. If not, hey Reggie, come back home!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Very good points and may explain the trades involving Mack, and to some extent Cooper. That said, Cooper never seemed to connect well with Carr, and now he’s lighting up Dallas. But yeah, when you tie up $100 mil in a HC, and I believe that is all guaranteed, cash gets scarce fast. The Raiders now have to rebuild, whether that was Gruden’s intention or not. I think he wants his own QB, and hey, he’s got a lot of time and a lot of draft picks.

Firing McKenzie was probably necessary becasue they had to fire someone, and it wasn’t going to be Gruden. I think the Raiders will look back and wish they had kept Reggie.

Which points to a bigger problem-- you committed a total of 225M to a QB/HC tandem that can't figure out how to get production out of a super talented WR.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCloughan and McKenzie are kind of apples and oranges.

McCloughan has purportedly had ongoing struggles with alcoholism, losing GM jobs in San Francisco and Washington as a result. In between he was hired by Schneider as a personnel executive and helped build the Super Bowl teams but resigned to again address his issues with alcohol. He's evidently a well-regarded evaluator of personnel within the Wolf tree, but it would stand to reason his days as a GM candidate are over. The pressures of that job risk another relapse.

McKenzie, on the other hand, spent his first two years slashing dead weight and accruing massive amounts of dead cap, gradually building up to a 12-4 team in 2016 and being named NFL Executive of the Year, while operating under Davis in a low revenue organization. I suspect he'll be getting some GM consideration.
Yeah Reggie did very well in Oakland, especially with what he inherited. I’d be happy to have him back, and I’m guessing Gluten would too. That said, I think Reggie will land a GM job somewhere else.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which points to a bigger problem-- you committed a total of 225M to a QB/HC tandem that can't figure out how to get production out of a super talented WR.
Well, that puts the problem in Oakland is a very good financial light (or darkness).

Members online

Latest posts