Reggie McKenzie

H

HardRightEdge

There's no alterative possiblity-- he likes it that way.
Sure, the haircut is consistent with his choice of vehicle:

"Most days start the same — [Davis] behind the wheel of a white 1997 Dodge Caravan SE outfitted with a bubble-top Mark III conversion kit, a VHS player mounted to the roof inside and a r8hers personalized plate."

If we could peek in the back, we might see red **** carpeting, a Cheryl Tiegs poster and a bong. Sure, the time frames are not quite right, but what are the chances you can find one of thse still running:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You'd think at some point he would have bought the "RAIDERS" plate off that guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never understood how one man can do so well with the Packers,
then go to another team and suddenly be treated like yesterdays trash.
Then we bring him back to save the day.

This business must be a game of chances

Have you considered the circumstances in Oakland? Have you considered the owner of the Raiders?

D

Deleted member 6794

Bringing in another great talent scout doesn't dilute his role, it just makes him better at his job. Gute still gets final say, he would just have more people that he trusts.

I mean, they're not going to bring Reggie in to make draft picks. And he knows that.

I just don't see how bringing him in would dilute Gute's role...can somebody explain that to me?

The Packers bringing back McKenzie might not dilute Gutekunst's role but he may not feel comfortable with a former general manager looking over his shoulder. Once again, it's just a guess though.

I would definitely be fine with Green Bay adding Reggie to the front office again.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers bringing back McKenzie might not dilute Gutekunst's role but he may not feel comfortable with a former general manager looking over his shoulder. Once again, it's just a guess though.

I would definitely be fine with Green Bay adding Reggie to the front office again.

I will repeat for what feels like the 5th time...right before the draft he tried to add a former general manager to his group. I don't think he'd be too worried about adding Reggie. If he is worried about it, he's not going to do very good at his job.

This was a very good article on Gute.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/s...w-approach-shaping-packers-roster/2289756002/

Gutekunst said he has leaned heavily on Sullivan and Wojciechowski while Richmond, Brinker and Gissendaner have done all the heavy digging into other teams and players.

Because of this, Gutekunst pushes back on the idea that this season has been about him forming an identity as a GM, but rather one that has seen the front office form one as a collective. “I would probably put it like ‘ourselves,’ like ourselves as a personnel staff,” he said. “I think we’re kind of finding – and I think we did it probably pretty early – but I think we kind of found a way to work together and to try to work to help the team.”

Take this excerpt from there, and I think it gives you a pretty good idea that Gute isn't too worried about having other good people working with him. He's using everybody, and he values their input. There's absolutely no reason he wouldn't want Reggie working with him.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will repeat for what feels like the 5th time...right before the draft he tried to add a former general manager to his group. I don't think he'd be too worried about adding Reggie. If he is worried about it, he's not going to do very good at his job.

This was a very good article on Gute.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/s...w-approach-shaping-packers-roster/2289756002/

Take this excerpt from there, and I think it gives you a pretty good idea that Gute isn't too worried about having other good people working with him. He's using everybody, and he values their input. There's absolutely no reason he wouldn't want Reggie working with him.
Not sure why you feel the need to repeat yourself... you do understand that, while you may end up being correct, that not all of us have to agree with you right?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you considered the circumstances in Oakland? Have you considered the owner of the Raiders?
Hard to imagine, but Belichick was fired in Cleveland.

Not sure if he was developing as a coach or the GM/scouts that held him back. Probably a combination of both.

My point is, there are lots of factors of people around you that dictates your success. It must be more analysis than the average fan considers, which seems to be relegated to win/loss.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hard to imagine, but Belichick was fired in Cleveland.

Not sure if he was developing as a coach or the GM/scouts that held him back. Probably a combination of both.

My point is, there are lots of factors of people around you that dictates your success. It must be more analysis than the average fan considers, which seems to be relegated to win/loss.
Come on, we all know that Belichick is the GOAT only because of Tom Brady. :cautious::laugh::coffee:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure why you feel the need to repeat yourself... you do understand that, while you may end up being correct, that not all of us have to agree with you right?

I understand you don't have to agree with me.

I don't understand willfully ignoring past precedent out of pure obstinance.

I believe I am allowed to point out facts. That's all I'm doing here. You can ignore it, or disagree with them, and I will continue to point out how and why your opinion is wrong until I get bored with it. And it takes a lot to get me bored buddy boy.

D

Deleted member 6794

I will repeat for what feels like the 5th time...right before the draft he tried to add a former general manager to his group. I don't think he'd be too worried about adding Reggie.

It seems McCloughan was one of Gutekunst's mentors and he still considers him a close friend, therefore he might have felt comfortable about hiring him.

Once again, a random guess on my part but you acting that there's evidence he would be fine with McKenzie working under him is a reach as well.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Naw. You're right.

Gute wouldn't want to hire somebody that he worked under for almost a decade, who has vast experience in the game, all because he's threatened by that experience and doesn't want his ideas to get diluted.

If that's who you think Gute is, then you must think Gute will be an awful GM.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Naw. You're right.

Gute wouldn't want to hire somebody that he worked under for almost a decade, who has vast experience in the game, all because he's threatened by that experience and doesn't want his ideas to get diluted.

If that's who you think Gute is, then you must think Gute will be an awful GM.
You are hilarious. For the record I’ve got nothing against McKenzie, and if the Packers were to hire him in some capacity, I’d be all for it. It is simply my opinion that it is unlikely to happen. What I find funny is how invested you seem to be in convincing us that you know what Gutenkunst thinks. As I said before, you may be right... but unless he actually gets hired, all you have is an opinion.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Ravens blocked Gutekunst’s bid to hire national scout Milt Hendrickson as his assistant general manager last year, I don't think its too far fetched that if Reggie wants back in GB and Gute likes the guy, it might not be a bad idea to offer him the same position. Let's face it, the Packers drafts and Personnel decisions have been less than stellar since Reggie left, not saying that was all because of Reggie leaving, but the guy evidently is pretty good at evaluating talent.

H

HardRightEdge

It seems McCloughan was one of Gutekunst's mentors and he still considers him a close friend, therefore he might have felt comfortable about hiring him.

Once again, a random guess on my part but you acting that there's evidence he would be fine with McKenzie working under him is a reach as well.
McCloughan and McKenzie are kind of apples and oranges.

McCloughan has purportedly had ongoing struggles with alcoholism, losing GM jobs in San Francisco and Washington as a result. In between he was hired by Schneider as a personnel executive and helped build the Super Bowl teams but resigned to again address his issues with alcohol. He's evidently a well-regarded evaluator of personnel within the Wolf tree, but it would stand to reason his days as a GM candidate are over. The pressures of that job risk another relapse.

McKenzie, on the other hand, spent his first two years slashing dead weight and accruing massive amounts of dead cap, gradually building up to a 12-4 team in 2016 and being named NFL Executive of the Year, while operating under Davis in a low revenue organization. I suspect he'll be getting some GM consideration.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't know any more than anyone else, but I'll just say that it would be weird for Gutekunst to work with his former boss, and to have actively recruited another GM, but be too insecure to bring McKenzie in.

H

HardRightEdge

On another Raiders note, the City of Oakland is suing the Raiders, the NFL and all 31 of the other teams claiming, among other grounds, anti-trust violations over relocation fees.

The Raiders lease of the Coliseum expires at the end of 2018 whereas the Las Vegas stadium is not scheduled to open until the 2020 season. Where the Raiders will play next season is evidently in doubt.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
On another Raiders note, the City of Oakland is suing the Raiders, the NFL and all 31 of the other teams on, among other grounds, anti-trust violations over relocation fees.

The Raiders lease of the Coliseum expires at the end of 2018 whereas the Las Vegas stadium is not scheduled to open until the 2020 season. Where the Raiders will play next season is evidently in doubt.

The only thing crazier than this story is how few people are paying attention to it or covering it. We are about 8 months away from 2019 preseason and a team doesn't know where they are playing.

OP
OP
P

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing crazier than this story is how few people are paying attention to it or covering it. We are about 8 months away from 2019 preseason and a team doesn't know where they are playing.

Par for the course with the geniuses who run the NFL.

H

HardRightEdge

This story just broke two days ago so we'll probably be hearing a lot more about it in the coming weeks. It's kind of a piece with the long-standing nuttiness of the Oakland Raiders organization. They don't seem to have a Plan B at this point.

Maybe they end up in UNLV's 40,000 seat, artificial turf stadium. At least the turf would hold up to the rigors of Saturday and Sunday football. Evidently Davis was looking into this option back in 2016 in case Oakland fans stopped buying tickets, though having to break the Coliseum lease may have been an impediment at that point.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't know any more than anyone else, but I'll just say that it would be weird for Gutekunst to work with his former boss, and to have actively recruited another GM, but be too insecure to bring McKenzie in.
Those various situations have noteable differences. Having to "work with" Thompson strikes me as a Murphy call, not a Gutekunst call, and how much "working with" actually took place is debateable. According to one report, Thompson had moved back to Texas no later than late November and maybe earlier. McCloughan's days as a GM candidate were likely over after Washington because of his long-standing battles with alcoholism as noted above.

That said, I don't see where it would be that unusual to see McKenzie end up in Green Bay in one of those temporary consulting "super scout" kind of roles if he gets no GM offers. We see head coaches and GMs between jobs take on those consulting roles to stay in or get back in the game pending a "permanent" offer somewhere down the road. The Rooney Rule pretty much guarantees he'll at least get on short lists and be interviewed for GM jobs. What he accomplished in first 5 years in Oakland with the impediments inherent in working for the Raiders should earn him points and serious consideration in the GM derby.

Members online

Latest posts