Reggie McKenzie

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
De facto uber-GM.

Titles aside, he appears to have a level of authority on par with Reid in KC or Carroll in Seattle. They call the tune with final say on personnel.

I don't know how you can give a guy a 10 year deal without that in mind. Like I said I think when they hired Gruden RM's days were numbered.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how you can give a guy a 10 year deal without that in mind. Like I said I think when they hired Gruden RM's days were numbered.
Reggie was as good as gone the minute they signed Gruden to that deal

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a hunch Reggie will have no trouble finding another GM gig. I lived in Nor Cal during his tenure with the Raiders. It took a few years, but he had them moving in the right direction. Looks like Gruden is GM now.

I’d like to have him back. I don’t think he’d be happy as an assistant. Davis needed someone to blame this year, and Reggie was the guy.

D

Deleted member 6794

Why wouldn't they? Reggie is great. Get as many good talent finders as you can.

I don't believe Gutekunst would feel comfortable about McKenzie being named president of personnel or football directions with him currently not having authorities like most other general managers in the league.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe Gutekunst would feel comfortable about McKenzie being named president of personnel or football directions with him currently not having authorities like most other general managers in the league.

Yeah, I got that. I'm asking why you think that.

I mean, Gute wanted to bring McGloughlan in. I don't think he's scared of losing his job.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a guess, not even an educated one.
It’s one I agree with. These guys typically have big egos. They have to to be successful. I would be very surprised if Gutenkunst wanted to bring in somebody that would further dilute his role in the organization. I think a few people in here want to discount that possibility simply because they want to see Mckenzie back in the fold.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Isn't Ted Thompson still holding down a "job" as "Senior Advisor to Football Operations".....

Fire TT......give Reggie his Title and Office!

Is that "Fire TT" thread still open to post? :whistling:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s one I agree with. These guys typically have big egos. They have to to be successful. I would be very surprised if Gutenkunst wanted to bring in somebody that would further dilute his role in the organization. I think a few people in here want to discount that possibility simply because they want to see Mckenzie back in the fold.

Right. Which is exactly why Gute wanted to bring in Scott McLaughlin, another former GM, who was also very good at his job.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bringing in another great talent scout doesn't dilute his role, it just makes him better at his job. Gute still gets final say, he would just have more people that he trusts.

I mean, they're not going to bring Reggie in to make draft picks. And he knows that.

I just don't see how bringing him in would dilute Gute's role...can somebody explain that to me?

H

HardRightEdge

Isn't Ted Thompson still holding down a "job" as "Senior Advisor to Football Operations".....

Fire TT......give Reggie his Title and Office!

Is that "Fire TT" thread still open to post? :whistling:
The following article indicates Thompson is not in the building anymore, since at least 11/29 :

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/29/g...lems-aaron-rodgers-mike-mccarthy-ted-thompson

"Thompson is still involved with the team, as a senior consultant, though he has moved back to his hometown in Texas."

Holding a title is one thing. How involved he may be from long distance is another. In any event, it does appear there is a vacant office.

According to Wikipedia, Red Cochran served as a Packer scout "from 1975 until his his death in 2004" at age 82 which kinda sounds like a title and paycheck in lieu of a pension at some point in those 40 years. While we would not expect Thompson to be on the payroll until 2058 at age 105, it goes to show that being on the payroll with a certain title isn't necessarily indicative of involvement. Thompson may be down in Texas analyzing tape and writing reports, but does anybody read them? Does anybody ring him up to bounce an idea off of him?

It sounds like an emeritus position, out of respect, while burning off whatever guaranteed money was left in his contract. Unlike Cochran who served in an era of low pay, Thompson shouldn't be needing any pay in liue of pension.

Members online

Latest posts