Reggie Gilbert to the Titans for a 7th

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let the pre-purge begin.

I think this is a good move, Gilbert was obviously on the bubble and probably not going to make the team. Packers get a 7th rounder and the Titans get some potential depth at OLB.

Now let's turn around and trade that 7th for an ILB or RB.

https://clutchpoints.com/packers-news-green-bay-trades-lb-reggie-gilbert-to-the-titans/
I can't imagine Gute shopping him if he wasn't going to get cut.

I'd very much like this idea of offering the draft pick for players who have a good chance of being cut by their respective teams, who can help us out tremendously but who are probably not going to clear waivers. ILB and RB come to mind, but I wouldn't oppose the Packers looking to WR's or OLB's either.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You have the same chances of getting a Donald Driver as a free agent. Psckers got Tramon Williams as a free agent.

Actually, the Packers signed Williams off the FA market (Nov. 2006), The Texans were the ones that originally signed him as an UDFA and he was a final cut. He spent his first season with the Packers on their PS.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don''t see the value in a 7th round pick. It's no different than an udfa in that the chances are about the same to make the team and have an impact. Cutting him would be about the same deal. Why even waste time negotiating for a pick that's no different than a free agent?

As far as the likelihood of them making the team or having an impact you may be right. A 7th rounder may be the same as an UDFA. However, the value of a 7th rounder over a free agent is he is guaranteed to be yours. As others have said, if you have an extra 7th round pick that's one more guy on your roster that you don't have to compete with 31 other teams to sign. You are sure to get the guy you want.

I'm not sure how you can't see the value in that.

H

HardRightEdge

Don''t see the value in a 7th round pick. It's no different than an udfa in that the chances are about the same to make the team and have an impact. Cutting him would be about the same deal. Why even waste time negotiating for a pick that's no different than a free agent?
Because it is better than nothing.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carlos Hyde is all but cut in recent reports. Would absolutely love him in the Green and Gold, offer the 7th rounder to KC and see what happens

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like Gute has made some solid "off load" moves since arriving. Trading away guys for later round picks, instead of just stashing on the 53, hoping they improve or out right cutting them.

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/02/packers-receive-sixth-round-pick-for-reggie-gilbert-trade-titans/

I know some here disagree with me, but that is what I'm always clamoring for more of. I mean seriously Ty Montgomery, Trevor Davis and Reggie Gilbert were not in the Packers future...we knew it, they knew it and the organization knew it. Trade away, absorb the depth hit and push onward. That is 3 picks to attempt to add back end depth or long term projects that grow into something. VASTLY more than we would have had should we just cut or let walk...

That is why I am so vehemently against keeping Linsley IF long term the organization doesn't foresee him as the future center. Lick your wounds now and push forward making some serious cash elsewhere. I fully admit that one should not be done if we cannot get Bulaga back, as I'm not wanting to replace to OL in one year.

Easier examples of this would be a guy like Jamaal Williams. His production and stat wise make me truly feel he will garner some FA attention for a back up or low chance of starter material elsewhere and we will not be paying to keep him. Move him, get something in return and you only have to worry about Jones' future contract not both.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget the Justin McCray trade with Browns which apparently was an in round swap of 2020 picks...had to be a 7th or 6th round swap...but anyone know which?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think it was a 7th round pick that we would be swapping with Cleveland in the McCray deal. Which would mean instead of a pick @ #242, we would get to pick @ 224. Moving up 18 spots in the 7th isn't much, but reports stated that they were going to cut McCray anyway, so its better than nothing.

I believe what we are seeing is somewhat of a result in the change in Gute's Free Agent logic VS. that which we saw under Thompson. TT was content to accumulate Compensatory picks by limited participation in the FA market and holding on to guys until their contracts ran out and they became free agents. Whereas Gute appears (so far) to be less concerned about compensatory picks, wants to participate in Free Agency and prefers to shed guys like Davis, Monty, Gilbert, McCray via a trade and get something sooner, rather than later.

Again, 2 years does not make a policy, just early observations of what Gute seems to prefer.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was a 7th round pick that we would be swapping with Cleveland in the McCray deal. Which would mean instead of a pick @ #242, we would get to pick @ 224. Moving up 18 spots in the 7th isn't much, but reports stated that they were going to cut McCray anyway, so its better than nothing.

I believe what we are seeing is somewhat of a result in the change in Gute's Free Agent logic VS. that which we saw under Thompson. TT was content to accumulate Compensatory picks by limited participation in the FA market and holding on to guys until their contracts ran out and they became free agents. Whereas Gute appears (so far) to be less concerned about compensatory picks, wants to participate in Free Agency and prefers to shed guys like Davis, Monty, Gilbert, McCray via a trade and get something sooner, rather than later.

Again, 2 years does not make a policy, just early observations of what Gute seems to prefer.

100% agree...and I see Gute as the type to change that plan depending on team make up and current status. The more "aggressive" get something now rather than later type mindset especially for lower tier guys that will get you 5ths, 6ths and 7ths is 100% the way to go IMO.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don't think there is a ton of difference yet. We still haven't won anything more than we did many other times under the old guy and we have yet to see what Gute does once he has "his" team assembled.

A team in transition is different than a team with its nucleus intact and in position for championships.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don't think there is a ton of difference yet. We still haven't won anything more than we did many other times under the old guy and we have yet to see what Gute does once he has "his" team assembled.

A team in transition is different than a team with its nucleus intact and in position for championships.

I disagree, these types of moves while many dismiss are solid and good decisions we simply weren't doing previously much.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't dismiss them, they're all important. and early on and for much of the middle, there was a lot of churning at the bottom of the roster and later what we didn't get in FA or getting somethign for nothing in a trade for a bottom of the roster guy he made up for in multiple compensatory picks. It's just a different way to churn thru bottom of roster potential guys.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a few of the Packers 6th or 7th round picks in the last 12 years. These picks are sometimes valuable. Desmond Bishop, Mason Crosby, Matt Flynn, James Starks, Equanimeous St. Brown, Hunter Bradley, Ka'Dar Hollman, Ty Summers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts