1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Refs admitt to mistake

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by longtimefan, Sep 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marvin49

Marvin49 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58
    BS....NFL acknowlegded both mistakes and demotes the ref.

2. Royal Pain

Royal Pain Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +116
    I'm a little concerned that neither McCarthy nor anyone else on the Packers knew it was supposed to be 4th down. McCarthy brushed it off in his press conference, but it seems to me if he had been aware of the mistake when it happened, he could have addressed it with the officials before the 49ers could run a play and it could have been corrected. At the very least he should have someone designated to watch for these mistakes that can notify him in a timely manner.

3. Marvin49

Marvin49 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58
    Chris Biderman‏@ChrisBiderman3m
    Harbaugh said he would have gone for it on 4th-and-1 on the play following the scuffle involving Mathews and Staley had it not been reset.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    If Clay Matthews was defending himself then HE HAS EVERY RIGHT IN THE WORLD TO DO SO!!!!

If you just took out an opposing team's QB and see other player's rushing in, do you think they just want to sit down, hold hands with you and have a sing-a-long?
    So how can you be against someone for defending themselves in this heated situation?

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. packerskeylargo

packerskeylargo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Agreed

6. packerskeylargo

packerskeylargo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    With Clay Matthews being a veteran player - he knows better... Was disappointed with his actions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    There shouldn't have been a call on Clay in the first place.
    You cannot stop yourself when you have already launched yourself in the air and have forward momentum.
    Clay was going to push or take him out of bounds.
    But CrapperKnickers stepped out right at the moment Clay leaped at him.
    I doubt that Clay was hitting him OUB on purpose. Just bad timing.

So once again the Packers are getting screwed by the refs.
    I swear, the refs hate us.
    Weather they are the scab ones or the regulars. They have it in for us.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. USArmyParatrooper

USArmyParatrooper Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +72
    Yeah, IF he was defending himself. And IF my aunt had balls she would be my uncle. It wasn't self defense. Staley was yelling at him, not throwing punches.

The VP of NFL officiating even said Staley should not have been flagged, so it should have been 1st & goal on the three.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. USArmyParatrooper

Ratings:
    +72
    Wow, just wow. Not even close to reality.

10. Marvin49

Marvin49 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58
    Uh...

He BEGAN his leap 2 feet from the sideline. I ask in what possible situation would it be necessary to LEAVE YOUR FEET and LAUNCH yourself only 2 feet from the sideline.

Come on now...be reasonable.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Narveson

Narveson Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +43
    I won't say that the refs screwed us out of a W but at least the niners fans can admit that their offensive line got away with blatantly holding I counted at least 5-6 times. I mean, If they call what Sitton was doing holding, then the niners got away with a lot in the game as well.

12. USArmyParatrooper

Ratings:
    +72
    I saw lots of the same from the Packers O-line not getting called. A couple of them were so blatant that even the announcers commented on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ceodore

Ceodore Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +185
    Even though he said it, I'm not sure I believe that he would have. This feels him taking the high road as opposed to saying McCarthy made a mistake in accepting the penalty. He can say he would have now and everyone saves face.

14. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    Time to turn the page. on to the Skins. See you guys in Lambeau for the NFC Championship game in January.

15. Marvin49

Marvin49 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58
    HEHEHE.

I actually would like to see you guys in Candlestick for the NFC Championship.

That would be a proper goodbye to the 'stick.

16. Marvin49

Marvin49 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58
    ...and I saw DBs holding Boldin and Vernon all day. Works both ways.

BTW...I think alot of the absense of pressure on Kaep had less to do with the 49ers offensive line and the packers desire to cut down his running lanes so he couldn't escape on a scramble. They never rushed beyond him and constantly stopped their rush. It worked to stop him from scrambling, but it also gave him more time in the pocket. It seems Capers was determined for force him to beat you guys from the pocket...which he showed he was capable of doing.

I actually give Capers some credit there for thinking outside the box and making sure that it wasn't a repeat of the game in January.

17. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +519
    Well....there was a lot of pushing going on too by those 2 9er recievers beyond the 5-yard limit. Boldin pushed quite a lot. But enough of this. It was a very good game. I wish the Packers' secondary had been better. Safety play was terrible. But it's the first game of the season. Time to move on. Hope that Morgan Burnett is ready to play next week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. 94niners

94niners Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +13
    Then what do you make of Harbaugh saying immediately after the game that running up and "locking up" the guy who hits the QB or starts a fight is exactly what they are coached to do?

There is no camera angle on the initial motion by Matthews. Could have been a grab of facemask + push from the start. Two or three times. Which in the least should have drawn an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty ANYWAY, if not an ejection.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,476
    I make it out to be bad coaching. Your coach admitted to putting his player in a situation to get a penalty. There is protecting your QB in a fight and there is running up after a play to lock up/engage another player. The former I have no problem with, the latter is stupid coaching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,994
    Bolding smacked Shields in the face

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,085
    I agree. This entire thread has degenerated into nothing but a series of circular arguments with no rational answer in sight. These teams don't like each other much and chirping on the internet isn't going to change a thing.

The Packers didn't get screwed by the refs ... they lost to a slightly superior team -- for the 3rd consecutive game. I don't give a crap...the better team usually does win....one other thing, if the 9'ers are better coached at holding and not getting caught, well, that is another feather in their cap.

I am pi**ed off beyond belief that the Pack couldn't hold a lead ... until they can hold a lead against a better team and actually win the damned game ... there really is nothing to talk about in this regard.

Incidentally, prior to the game, all Matthews said was that the Pack would hit the QB. Everything else is Harbaugh creating motivational smoke and mirrors and the media, as usual, fell for that crap. Matthews tackle was unnecessary, but, I'm glad he did it. I'm glad McCarthy took the damned 5-yard penalty too. What I'm not happy about is that the Packers couldn't hold a lead and couldn't hold it in the manner they did ... 80 yards in 5 plays...****, the Pack didn't deserve to win.

Next up... Washington

• Like Like x 4
  22. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,994
    So why didnt Boldin lock up Bush, instead of SLAPPING him?

When Clay slaps, he makes a dig at him, when his own player slaps, nothing is said about it..

Clay was wrong and if he is fined, so be it..but people should be consistent about Boldin

23. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    Maybe, just maybe your right.
    But if you are a defending player and last time the QB ran past you time and again and even scored a TD or two on your butt then next time you meet you should stop him.
    So I can't bring myself to blame CM for doing what he did.
    I'm sure he had his reasons.
    I don't think he wanted to hurt CraperKnickers.
    If he did, then he would of on that play or on the awesome sack.

40whiners coaches should learn that if they have a running QB, then this kind of stuff will happen when they make themselves vulnerable by running.

24. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    I feel like or IMO those "announcers" are biased against the Pack.
    Gimme Jon Gruden over those two unqualified clowns any day of the week.

25. Mighty Mike 77

Mighty Mike 77 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +11
    94niners.....one question... did Matthews forced Staley to go there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.