Refs admitt to mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci...s-officials-admit-erring-after-sideline-melee

Referee Bill Leavy confirmed after the 49ers' 34-28 win Sunday that a third-down play was incorrectly granted to the 49ers following a sideline fracas.

The 49ers should have faced fourth-and-2 from the Packers' 6-yard line after Colin Kaepernick's 4-yard scramble, after which he was tackled by Clay Matthews out of bounds. Matthews drew a late-hit penalty for his actions, but that was offset by Joe Staley's unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty.

12theTruth

Big whoop NFL!. Where is the apology for it? It had a direct impact on the outcome of the game. 49ers wouldn't have covered the spread with those 4 free points.

BallHawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm, you guys act like you get robbed every year by a bad call.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Hmmm, you guys act like you get robbed every year by a bad call.

Have you been watching? we do get ROBBED, by the REFS.....A LOT. And it's noy just us here that see it, the NFL seems to see it only after the fact. So, a "sorry" just aint gunna cut it.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually it should have been 1st and goal, since the call against Staley was weak.

All Staley did was get in Matthews' face after his cheap shot on the QB. Meanwhile Matthews threw punches at Staley, Staley didn't throw any at all and yet he's the one gets the flag.

After his sack for a loss of 7, Matthews was clearly taunting the QB, no call.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Actually it should have been 1st and goal, since the call against Staley was weak.

All Staley did was get in Matthews' face after his cheap shot on the QB. Meanwhile Matthews threw punches at Staley, Staley didn't throw any at all and yet he's the one gets the flag.

After his sack for a loss of 7, Matthews was clearly taunting the QB, no call.

you wanna talk "no-call"? How about clay getting held 6 times and not one single friggin call?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a non-issue. Calls get blown almost ever week in every game. MM's attitude is right, it's a part of the game. Had it been 4th down and SF kicked a field goal, there's a lot of what-if's, but the final would have still been 30-28 49ers. We still lose

94niners

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, now the league says that the error was made in favor of Green Bay. Because Staley shouldn't have been penalized in the first place.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-not-49ers-benefitted-from-officials-mistake/

"
The NFL now says it was the Packers, not the 49ers, who benefitted from the officials’ mistake on the play, because Staley shouldn’t have been flagged in the first place. The league office reviewed the play and determined that while Matthews was rightly called for a late hit on 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, the official who threw the flag on Staley for getting in Matthews’ face after running over to protect Kaepernick should not have done so.

In other words, if the entire play had been properly called, it would have been first-and-goal for the 49ers at the 3-yard line on the next play. Instead, the officials made it tougher for the 49ers by making them re-play third down after the offsetting penalties. The officials erred in their enforcement of the offsetting penalties, which appeared to benefit the 49ers, but in reality there never should have been offsetting penalties to enforce in the first place. Only the Packers should have been penalized."

Indeed, maybe Mathews should have gotten TWO penalties (throwing punches allegedly). I guess that wraps this discussion up, don't you think?

12theTruth

BS to that. Its just the league saving face again. Protecting their fannies.

94niners

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BS to that. Its just the league saving face again. Protecting their fannies.
The NFL isn't the only group that sees it that way. Many analysts do as well. What did Staley do that was penalty worthy? Get punched by Mathews in the head?

12theTruth

Why would they reverse an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty against a player? That is in the referees discretion. We don't know what Staley said or did. Did he NOT grab a facemask on the sideline? Like I said its basically the NFL protecting their backsides. Can't be having any critcism of the refs after last years debacle.

94niners

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would they reverse an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty against a player? That is in the referees discretion. We don't know what Staley said or did. Did he NOT grab a facemask on the sideline? Like I said its basically the NFL protecting their backsides. Can't be having any critcism of the refs after last years debacle.

No, he didn't. MATTHEWS grabed HIS facemask. See?

(Stayey had him by the jersey/pads, not facemask)

And he also punched him:

Can you honestly say that is someone was guilty, Staley was the guilty one here?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't be having any critcism of the refs after last years debacle.
The ref's union is separate from the NFL. The scab refs were the NFL's refs.

There are some animated GIFs of the play here:
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/9/8/4708464/packers-49ers-clay-matthews-colin-kaepernick-fight

Other angles during the game were better, but it's clear why Staley was flagged. He came over and instigated a fight with Clay Matthews. He grabbed Matthews and Clay threw at least one punch that I saw. Clay should have been flagged twice, once for the late hit and once for throwing punches. Staley was rightly flagged for instigating the fight. IMO - the first two penalties should have offset with the punch penalty being enforced, giving the 49ers 1st & goal. They only needed one down to score on us so it really doesn't matter.

Matthews should get fined by the NFL, especially in light of his comments about hitting the QB last week. While you can generally interpret those as meaning to hit him legally in the pocket to stop the read option, the context can be construed differently in light of his late hit.

94niners

Cheesehead
Reaction score

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/9/8/4708464/packers-49ers-clay-matthews-colin-kaepernick-fight

Other angles during the game were better, but it's clear why Staley was flagged. He came over and instigated a fight with Clay Matthews. He grabbed Matthews and Clay threw at least one punch that I saw. Clay should have been flagged twice, once for the late hit and once for throwing punches. Staley was rightly flagged for instigating the fight. IMO - the first two penalties should have offset with the punch penalty being enforced, giving the 49ers 1st & goal. They only needed one down to score on us so it really doesn't matter.

Matthews should get fined by the NFL, especially in light of his comments about hitting the QB last week. While you can generally interpret those as meaning to hit him legally in the pocket to stop the read option, the context can be construed differently in light of his late hit.

I saw no punch by Staley, but I did see his head get jacked to the side BY a punch (as shown in the gifs I posted). He ran over and grabbed Matthews jersey to lock him up, as he was coached to do according to Harbaugh, to protect his QB.

Somebody slams Aaron Rodgers and I dare say you'd want your tackle to do the same. But that isn't a penalty. Holding someone after the play is not going to ever be a penalty. Staley threw ZERO punches. HE got punched. Show some evidence of his claim please, because I definitely did NOT see it, nor do any of the gifs I've seen show it. He did grab him by his jersey/pads. That's it. Matthews went for Staley's head three separate times there, as shown by my two gifs.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's interesting seeing how Anquan Boldin came running into the mix, only to then get into a fight with Sam Shields

94niners

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My gif shows a closer shot of this particular instance, and it shows that Staley "punching" here was actually HIM getting punched and his head and body moving to the right because of it.

Look here, and look at Matthew's body as Staley's head moves to the right:

As you can see, Matthew's arm/shoulder goes in the same direction as Staley's head, and Staley has him underhanded (because he's holding his pads/jersey).

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He ran over and grabbed Matthews jersey to lock him up, as he was coached to do according to Harbaugh, to protect his QB.
I never said that Staley threw a punch. But whatever nonesense Harbaugh coached Staley to do doesn't matter. Kaepernick was walking away from the hit making a "throw the flag" motion. He was satisfied with what the outcome would be. Matthews was walking away. Staley ran over and started the mellee. That's why he got flagged. Kaepernick jumped in to try to push Staley away because he realized (better than big Joe) that what he was doing was stupid.

94niners

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never said that Staley threw a punch. But whatever nonesense Harbaugh coached Staley to do doesn't matter. Kaepernick was walking away from the hit making a "throw the flag" motion. He was satisfied with what the outcome would be. Matthews was walking away. Staley ran over and started the mellee. That's why he got flagged. Kaepernick jumped in to try to push Staley away because he realized (better than big Joe) that what he was doing was stupid.

Maybe, but then, as the link I posted says, the NFL says they shouldn't have penalized him. Scuffles like that happen ten times a game, and they are only called as penalties when someone does something forceful, like shove someone (Staley ran up, STOPPED, and grabbed his jersey, just restraining him). There is no conspiracy there. Most analysts agree that Staley shouldn't have been flagged and Matthews should have been flagged twice, and possibly ejected. That isn't just the NFL, man. But I can completely understand why Packer fans would be weary. You got screwed out of a win last year with the Fail Mary.

Regardless, it was a great game and this had little to do with the outcome.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Staley ran up, STOPPED, and grabbed his jersey, just restraining him
I'm not talking conspiracies either. You're making stuff up to suit yourself. Fine. But Staley did not run up, stop, and grab Matthews jersey to talk about the weather and protect his QB. That's delusional thinking. He went to rough up the guy that just blatantly hit his QB. Scuffles happen all of the time but players get flagged when they aren't involved and come running in to escalate the situation. That's exactly what Staley did in that situation. That won't always draw a flag, maybe it's 50% of the time, but it's not a wrong call by the official. There was no football reason for Staley to run over and grab the opponent when everyone was already walking away. The 49ers are starting to remind me a little bit of the undisciplined Lions

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like it should have been 1st & goal after all. Boy the 49ers got screwed on that call!

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/09/09/nfl-staley-shouldnt-have-been-flagged-for-grabbing-matthews/
"NFL vice president of officiating Dean Blandino has determined today that only Matthews should have been flagged for a personal-foul penalty after the second-quarter play. Instead, 49ers left tackle Joe Staley was given an unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty for grabbing Matthews in retaliation.

As a result, the 49ers should have had a 1st-and-goal at Green Bay’s 3-yard line."

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see a punch there. I see Matthews grabbing a facemask and pushing. I see a shove to the face, not a punch.

But I'll say this, I think the Packers got lucky on that one because of the offsetting penalties. It should have been 1st and goal. Yes, the refs blew it, and the flag thrown on Staley was probably legit because the refs saw an escalation, but I can see where questions would arise here. If roles had been reversed I'd have been pissed if the refs threw a flag on one of our guys for that.

Driftster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good to see the that finally surface, I was a second from posting it. The NFL is going through some weird lengths to try and "clear things up" lately. Think it's social media backlash their trying to quell?

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL.

"NFL ADMITTED THE CALL WAS BAD!!!! WE GOT CHEATED"

NFL Later admits Staley shouldn't have been called to begin with so it should have been 1st and goal instead of 3rd and 6.

"NFL SAVING FACE!!! WE GOT CHEATED!!!!"

Dude. Seriously?

4 point diff....6 point loss....early 2nd quarter...Staley shouldn't have been flagged....Clay could have been ejected....Clay should have been called after the kaep hit later in the game for taunting....

Come on guys...let not make this a "refs screwed us" thing. That's really weak and for the most part almost everyone I've talked to on this site is better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts