Reflection on postseason results

hdultraclassic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a long term lurker, and totally appreciate reading the posts here. I, for myself, admit to still being in the healing phase from the loss to the Giants in the frigid championship game. As part of that healing, I did thoroughly enjoyed watching the Giants destroy Mr Brady & the Pats in the Super Bowl. With thoughts of helping my fellow Packer fans put this past post season "to bed" I'd like to pose a hypothetical. (Also, hey, the seaon's over, gotta talk about somethin). If you had to choose between only two options:

1: the actual real life results (Giants squeak by the Pack in NFC Championship, then beat the Pats in an exciting 4th Qtr in the Super Bowl)

2: Packers beat the Giants by a field goal in OT but then lose to NE in the Super Bowl

What's your choice?

thanks to all of you for your entertaining & informative posts this season. Go Pack!
BTW, I'd choose option 1. (I totally hate the friggin' Patriots)

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thinking strictly logically, a conference championship and a Halas trophy would have to be better than runner-up, right?

i think i'd probably agree with you and take option 1. the last superbowl loss took a serious toll on me. it was really pathetic.

great hypothetical btw...

MorphTheCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we lost XXXII, I thought going to the Super Bowl and losing it had to feel worse than not going at all. Getting over that game was really hard.

This year was a little bit of an anomaly, because of the season the Pats were having - there wouldn't really have been shame in losing to them, just disappointment. Most of us wouldn't have been shocked to go and lose.

Thinking about it though, I guess I probably would choose option one, because we did take the SB winner to OT, and we could have beaten them - that's probably better than going and losing to the Pats. We proved we could play with the best the league has to offer, and that's something, at least.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some Long Term Lurkers.... Eventually turn into Long term contributors to the thoughts and energy of every forum.

Thanks for a fresh thread idea.

I personally would take Number 1.

When it all ends up.... After it is all and done. In April.... It is one more opportunity to pick the player the Pack have been waiting for.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thinking is that I hate losing. But nobody can win them all. That being that I would prefer to lose in the SB.

I find it much easier to recover from a lose to a better team than losing a game by making mistakes and not playing our best game.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That is true twins..

I also would have loved to see how the Packers would have done vs the Pats..

Who knows that might have been Bretts last shot

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would take the first option. Getting to the biggest stage and losing is a painful thing. I still can't sit and watch Superbowl XXXII.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
don't care. both are tough losses. Frankly, i think the Pats would've beaten us, so either way. we lost. We won't next season though!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a long term lurker, and totally appreciate reading the posts here. I, for myself, admit to still being in the healing phase from the loss to the Giants in the frigid championship game. As part of that healing, I did thoroughly enjoyed watching the Giants destroy Mr Brady & the Pats in the Super Bowl. With thoughts of helping my fellow Packer fans put this past post season "to bed" I'd like to pose a hypothetical. (Also, hey, the seaon's over, gotta talk about somethin). If you had to choose between only two options:

1: the actual real life results (Giants squeak by the Pack in NFC Championship, then beat the Pats in an exciting 4th Qtr in the Super Bowl)

2: Packers beat the Giants by a field goal in OT but then lose to NE in the Super Bowl

What's your choice?

thanks to all of you for your entertaining & informative posts this season. Go Pack!
BTW, I'd choose option 1. (I totally hate the friggin' Patriots)

1. This isn't even an option. Many teams have lost the CG to come back and win the SB the next year. Losing an SB is cursed.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In principle, I would rather make it to the Super Bowl before losing, but the way it worked out this year was better. I actually felt a little better about the Pack's loss after the Giants won the Super Bowl. It ended the season on a slight up note.

It is cool to see some new posters chime in, including one called Morph the Cat (I'm a big Steely Dan/Donald Fagen fan from way back).

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
In principle, I would rather make it to the Super Bowl before losing, but the way it worked out this year was better. I actually felt a little better about the Pack's loss after the Giants won the Super Bowl. It ended the season on a slight up note.

It is cool to see some new posters chime in, including one called Morph the Cat (I'm a big Steely Dan/Donald Fagen fan from way back).

I agree with your assessment about feeling better... HOw much better? I don't know...

So can we call you Deacon Blues?

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
bozz_2006 said:
don't care. both are tough losses. Frankly, i think the Pats would've beaten us, so either way. we lost. We won't next season though!

I agree, because the reason the Giants won that game was because of the constant and consistent pressure put on Brady, he crumbled under the pressure. However, we don't play that game, we have great pass rushers who hadn't really shown up in the post season. Not only that, Al Harris covering Randy Moss or Wes Welker? He couldn't cover Plaxico!

But, then again, I'm basing this all off of past performance and hindsight of the Super Bowl, because in all reality, everything changes once you get to the Super Bowl, you could be a totally different team in the Championship game and then in the Super Bowl show some different colors. Look at the Pats.

So I guess I would have rather seen us go... but losing the Super Bowl would be one of the toughest things to swallow, most of us aren't over '97. So I don't know, that's a hard thing to think to contemplate

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it would of been nice to get the trophy and go on to the s.b i really think they could have beat the pats jsut wasnt meant to be glad the giants won though to prove pats arent all that :D

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack&BrettCrazed4 said:
So I guess I would have rather seen us go... but losing the Super Bowl would be one of the toughest things to swallow, most of us aren't over '97. So I don't know, that's a hard thing to think to contemplate

I'm not over '97. It's not because I'm a bad sport, but I honestly felt like we let that one go. If coached correctly, that should have been an easy win.

MorphTheCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who's to say that we'd have lost in the Superbowl?

We may not have...I think it's just the feeling that we couldn't put the Giants away, and we should have. It leaves you with a question mark of sorts. You're just not sure which Packers are going to show up for the Big Game.

MorphTheCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

SOMEBODY UNDERSTOOD MY SCREEN NAME!!! :cheerleader:

Thank you!!! We are insta-friends. 8) (I've seen the Dan three times, and I LOVE the album "Morph The Cat".)

Agree with you on the game issue, too...the NFC Championship could have gone our way, even though the Packers struggled that night. That makes the result of the Super Bowl less painful, somehow.

Members online

Latest posts